R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
Zee Dgerman
Lead, follow, or get out of my way
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi S3

Opti-coat pro. Is it worth it?

hey guys,

Opti-coat pro. Is it worth it on a new car? Is it ok to install a clear bra over it?

Thanks
      03-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee Dgerman View Post
hey guys,

Opti-coat pro. Is it worth it on a new car? Is it ok to install a clear bra over it?

Thanks
I prefer opti gloss coat or c quartz finest. Opti pro doesnt pop IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
M3maniac
Private
Rep
Drives: AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I prefer opti gloss coat or c quartz finest. Opti pro doesnt pop IMO.
C Quartz finest is awesome. Super glossy and dirt just comes off with a rinse.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Get 3M film applied professionally and DIY the nano coating like CQuartz.

It is quite easy to apply, just make sure your paint work is clean and free of swirls and scratches.

Cost me $110 for GTechniq C1 and GTechniq EXO v2 combination and about 2 hours of application time.

Not sure how much people charge these days but they are so easy to apply.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3maniac View Post
C Quartz finest is awesome. Super glossy and dirt just comes off with a rinse.
It is good. I had it on my last E92.

I put Opti Gloss coat on my new car and it pops like crazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

If you want a pro to do the job, CQuartz Finest or Modesta.

If you want to do it yourself, there are a bunch of options; CQUK, CQ, GT, 22PLE, OG, ect.

You're paying the professional probably more for the prep work(swirl removal and general prep) as you are for the coating application. Applying a coating is not surgery. It's all in the prep, which varies greatly.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddas View Post
If you want a pro to do the job, CQuartz Finest or Modesta.

If you want to do it yourself, there are a bunch of options; CQUK, CQ, GT, 22PLE, OG, ect.

You're paying the professional probably more for the prep work(swirl removal and general prep) as you are for the coating application. Applying a coating is not surgery. It's all in the prep, which varies greatly.
So you're saying pros don't use opti products?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
So you're saying pros don't use opti products?
I did not say that.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #9
mul1gan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white

what are the pro's charging for CQ finest these days, and what do you guys think is reasonable?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #10
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Towards the end of last year, Optimum stopped making opticoat 2.0 for consumers. The only way to get opti-COAT now is from a professional detailer. I heard optimum raised the price of the opti-coat, and some detailers stopped offering their product. I had a Mercedes opti-coated, and I believe it was about $800. But that was for a full detail, including paint correction, which is pretty much required before a "permanent" coating.

IMO, opti-COAT pro IS worth it, but only IF you care a little more about protection and ease of use over looks. One of the biggest complaints of OptiCoat was that it doesn't 'pop' as much as some of the other coatings, and definitely not as much as a wax. Your car will not look as good as it can, but the benefit was lower maintenance.

In regards to opticoat over or under a clear bra, the consensus amongst clear bra installers, and a lot of detailers, seems to be that the clear bra should go on the bare paint, then opti-coated. I put my coating (opt gloss coat) over my clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #11
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

A local pro for CQ finest is charging ~$900 which includes a full paint prep to remove swirls, wipe down with IPA to remove dust/final contaminants, etc.

Are they making good money off of it? Yes, yes they are. But they do a very nice job too and the results are always in the prep.

That same detailer offers and pushes more for film protection and they offer a dust-free, climate controlled room to ensure the paint does not wide up having any preventable flaws trapped under the film. Again, they charge more for it, but they are perfectionists and I get it.

I'm not a perfectionist though
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #12
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
A local pro for CQ finest is charging ~$900 which includes a full paint prep to remove swirls, wipe down with IPA to remove dust/final contaminants, etc.

Are they making good money off of it? Yes, yes they are. But they do a very nice job too and the results are always in the prep.

That same detailer offers and pushes more for film protection and they offer a dust-free, climate controlled room to ensure the paint does not wide up having any preventable flaws trapped under the film. Again, they charge more for it, but they are perfectionists and I get it.

I'm not a perfectionist though
is this oaks detailing?

personally i bought cquartz UK and plan on doing it myself after prepping with iron-x, nanoskin scrub with my DA, some minor correction with my porter cable and finally the cquk and most likely top it with a wax for extra "pop"
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
is this oaks detailing?

personally i bought cquartz UK and plan on doing it myself after prepping with iron-x, nanoskin scrub with my DA, some minor correction with my porter cable and finally the cquk and most likely top it with a wax for extra "pop"
Yep, Oakes. Humorous story about them:

About 2 months ago I did a nighttime trip to home depot. Middle of winter, my car hadn't been washed in weeks, just caked in salt. On my way in I see a spotless white audi s4.

On my way out, the audi s4 is gone and I've got an Oakes detailing business card stuck into my windshield

I think they were trying to tell me the state of my car disgusted them.
      04-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #14
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Do you guys know if it would be less expensive for the application on a brand new car since there won't be paint correction required ? Might be looking to get this done right after delivery
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #15
RJVIII
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Do you guys know if it would be less expensive for the application on a brand new car since there won't be paint correction required ? Might be looking to get this done right after delivery
Thanks in advance
Still usually some level of paint correction required on a new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #16
jayyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

You want to install the clear bra first before you apply opticoat
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #17
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Yep, Oakes. Humorous story about them:

About 2 months ago I did a nighttime trip to home depot. Middle of winter, my car hadn't been washed in weeks, just caked in salt. On my way in I see a spotless white audi s4.

On my way out, the audi s4 is gone and I've got an Oakes detailing business card stuck into my windshield

I think they were trying to tell me the state of my car disgusted them.
At least they didn't write "clean me" or draw a big cock or something. That would be more humorous, but infinitely worse for their business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Thanks in advance
Brand new cars can have some pretty bad swirls. It's highly variable. But all vehicles will need some type if correction. If you find a fair detailer, you should expect it to be cheaper if they only have to do 1 step polish, because it takes a lot less time.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #18
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

yes the paint does not pop out as it should and looks like it's coated with plastic in my honest opinion

I would wait and save the paint correction and coat when your paint worn is really bad
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #19
Shanh81
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 & 2016 F15

Garage List
2020 Porsche GT4  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
Getting XPEL treatment over most of the car. Would it be worth it to also get Opti Coat done or just wash regularly on my own?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #20
budpaul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2007 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanh81 View Post
Getting XPEL treatment over most of the car. Would it be worth it to also get Opti Coat done or just wash regularly on my own?
I did exactly that and I love it. Makes it easy to take care of and looks awesome after simple wash.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #21
M4 CSL
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Quote:
hey guys,

Thanks
Yes, its best to get it on a new car. But of course new cars need to be corrected also. They usually have rail dust and other minor imperfections.

Opticoat is great, especially if you get lazy.

If you are not lazy and want it to pop, they have toppers for it. Wash and then light mist and wipe off. Its a quick detail.

Like any of these things, don't be fooled by lifetime garantee. Nothing lasts forever. The once per year check over to keep the lifetime garantee is, they redo it each year, but its half the cost.

I'm fine with that. As I used to do 50 step processes and Zaino and wax on top and P.S. Those dust magnet days are over. I live in an apartment with underground garage in the city, and it is dusty under their. So opticoat is perfect. I still do the topper every second wash.

Cheers.
      02-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #22
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 CSL
Quote:
hey guys,

Thanks
Yes, its best to get it on a new car. But of course new cars need to be corrected also. They usually have rail dust and other minor imperfections.

Opticoat is great, especially if you get lazy.

If you are not lazy and want it to pop, they have toppers for it. Wash and then light mist and wipe off. Its a quick detail.

Like any of these things, don't be fooled by lifetime garantee. Nothing lasts forever. The once per year check over to keep the lifetime garantee is, they redo it each year, but its half the cost.

I'm fine with that. As I used to do 50 step processes and Zaino and wax on top and P.S. Those dust magnet days are over. I live in an apartment with underground garage in the city, and it is dusty under their. So opticoat is perfect. I still do the topper every second wash.

Cheers.
This is good to know. I love zaino. Was curious is opti was as good or better. Obviously easier