Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

02-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

BMW of San Diego not allowing M4 test drive

Was a bit surprised to learn that this is their policy. Has anyone else experienced this? I think it might be an excuse because I am not seeing a car in their inventory.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
pmccut
Fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: Turbos

The first dealer I went to had no hesitation letting me test drive the M4(MT) I picked out on their lot, it already had ~70 miles from other test drives. The second dealer I asked (DCT) told me no test drives to keep miles low, which I can't argue with at all. I'd call around.
      02-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Vista BMW let me test drive a 6MT they had in stock at the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Some dealerships decide not to allow test drives as they may think it's just someone coming in for a joyride etc...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

if you're looking for a test drive...hit up Murat Ebesek at BMW Encinitas. They have the most allocations of M in the country and they do not have any issues with test drives. They had >20 when I took one for a spin and ultimately went home with one.
      02-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #6
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
if you're looking for a test drive...hit up Murat Ebesek at BMW Encinitas. They have the most allocations of M in the country and they do not have any issues with test drives. They had >20 when I took one for a spin and ultimately went home with one.
Sounds like you got moonroof then?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-100 real quick View Post
Sounds like you got moonroof then?
how'd you know? I don't mind it at all. I actually use it...the CF looks pretty cool though!

Last edited by khaye1; 02-09-2015 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
how'd you know? I don't mind it at all. I actually use it...the CF looks pretty cool though!
there is a thread about all the cars they have on their lot but the downside was they all moonroof.

I'm not a moonroof fan on M but would probably get one on a black M
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-100 real quick View Post
there is a thread about all the cars they have on their lot but the downside was they all moonroof.

I'm not a moonroof fan on M but would probably get one on a black M
Not sure about that...maybe at one point but definitely not when I was there. They had a pretty good assortment. Some color combo, java green with sakhir comes to mind, were questionable but an assortment nonetheless.
      02-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #10
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
Was a bit surprised to learn that this is their policy. Has anyone else experienced this? I think it might be an excuse because I am not seeing a car in their inventory.
BMW if SD is a huge piece of shit. I tried to order my M3 through them and they were the worst. I went to BMW of El Cajon and had the best experience ever compared to BMW of SD. Find a different dealer!
      02-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
F80AYM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80AYM3

No test drive do not buy. Bought my M3 without test driving it. I just told him I'll take it.
I have the same experience with Subaru in near Pasadena 4 years ago. I asked them if I can test drive the new Sti on display and saleman told me it was already Sold. Left the dealership and went straight to Timmons Subaru and they let me drive 2 Sti no question ask. . Bought the car after 4 hours came to dealership near Pasadena and show them my new car. They told they could get this car without going to drive there. I was laughing so hard after they treated me so bad.
      02-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
SierraZulu9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Bmw Encinitas and Bmw El Cajon are great dealers. They should have some m4s and should let u test drive. My dealer up in Bellevue WA was great... I test drove and ordered all in one day. I just got my car serviced at bmw San Diego and they don't have any m4s. I saw at least one m4 in el Cajon a couple months back after another service.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
SierraZulu9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
BMW if SD is a huge piece of shit. I tried to order my M3 through them and they were the worst. I went to BMW of El Cajon and had the best experience ever compared to BMW of SD. Find a different dealer!
I'm not suprised
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
maxd23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mk 7.5 GTI Audi R8

My buddy who has an E46 wanted to check out the F82 so we drove down in my E92 to BMW Encinitas. The guy gave me his card but I ended up throwing it away because he told us that he would only let us drive it if we were serious about buying it.

When I showed him my M3 and my buddy told him he has an E46 he relented and said that we were probably serious, but they were getting a lot of guys coming in just to check it out with no intention of buying and thus their M4 in stock had a couple hundred miles already on the odometer. I get his reasoning, but we're not driving up in an Accord.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
Bullshit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxd23 View Post
My buddy who has an E46 wanted to check out the F82 so we drove down in my E92 to BMW Encinitas. The guy gave me his card but I ended up throwing it away because he told us that he would only let us drive it if we were serious about buying it.

When I showed him my M3 and my buddy told him he has an E46 he relented and said that we were probably serious, but they were getting a lot of guys coming in just to check it out with no intention of buying and thus their M4 in stock had a couple hundred miles already on the odometer. I get his reasoning, but we're not driving up in an Accord.
More bullshit....I don't care how many miles it has or doesn't have....I'll be damned if I buy a car especially at this price point without test driving. I was new to BMW and an M at that.....without ever having pressed the ignition you want me to give you money because of what a brochure says....Just No.
Go elsewhere, they obviously want the car more than you. Let them keep it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #16
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Bullshit!

More bullshit....I don't care how many miles it has or doesn't have....I'll be damned if I buy a car especially at this price point without test driving. I was new to BMW and an M at that.....without ever having pressed the ignition you want me to give you money because of what a brochure says....Just No.
Go elsewhere, they obviously want the car more than you. Let them keep it.
This car is in a complicated price range, affordable enough yet too expensive for many if they put too much thought into it. My more expensive cars required nothing short of bank verification and most of a sales contract before I could drive them, but really.. can the test drive seal the deal on a gt3 or a 458? you already showed up planning to buy it...

I bought my M4 without driving it, again because the reviews are good and while Southbay BMW offered.. I was already going to buy this one as well.

Also, my car had 11 miles on it and I would probably want a sizable chunk off of the deal for a car with 200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #17
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian99997 View Post
This car is in a complicated price range, affordable enough yet too expensive for many if they put too much thought into it. My more expensive cars required nothing short of bank verification and most of a sales contract before I could drive them, but really.. can the test drive seal the deal on a gt3 or a 458? you already showed up planning to buy it...

I bought my M4 without driving it, again because the reviews are good and while Southbay BMW offered.. I was already going to buy this one as well.

Also, my car had 11 miles on it and I would probably want a sizable chunk off of the deal for a car with 200 miles.
You're right, I agree to an extent. I bought my M3 without test driving from the dealer I bought it from...but it was an allocation issue. I did test it somewhere else and did show up ready to buy but having never owned BMW anything, I needed to drive one somewhere somehow to see if it was right for me. The dealer that let me drive it wanted my business and they wanted to sell a car, unfortunately they just didn't have and couldn't get the type of car I wanted.....although before the test drive he didn't make that clear and was revealed after we sat down to talk numbers.

I even gave them a few days but another dealer called me, and had two of the cars I wanted, drove up the next day, pointed at one, and left with it that night.

I walked on a Subaru dealer who just like above wouldn't let me drive a new STI...you crazy, it isn't an Enzo at auction. Drove twelve miles up and picked up an Evo MR....maybe because the guy tossed me the keys and said "just don't put more than five miles on it please"....I came back in two, and signed papers. I promise you, true story, in Alpharetta, Georgia.

I read of at least two threads in the last seven days on this forum where they bought the car on a whim not even really looking to buy but the salesman said, you really need to try this, trust me, take it for a spin....car was bought.

If I was going to buy a P1, yeah right...at that level, you just clear the funds and show up to get your car....I mean the funds are cleared when they announce a concept, lol.

I think starting at special editions creeping in price north of $130Ks such as the GT3 or an M3 special competition Nurbughring model.....yes, you just show up to buy. But mainstream cars like a C7 Corvette, E Class AMG, or Panamera GTS....no, I need a drive bro.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #18
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly

the $30-40k cars are almost more protected than the rest.. I was 25 when I went to test drive an RX8 and couldn't find a San Diego dealer that would let me drive one, about 3 months later I bought a 06 Cayman S in Houston again without driving it so ultimately Mazda missed out on the sale but I got stuck in the Porsche family for a few cars after that.

The dealers should just suck it up and stick all the mileage on one car and then sell it cheap at like 2-3k miles. Looking for a 6mt F82 was pretty tough so I ended up with a DCT which ultimately I am happier with anyway. There are so few options plus they're available on a 3 or 5 series give or take, so a single cheap non optioned DCT car would be all they need..

Interesting that you mention the C7, I would have purchased one until I drove it :P
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #19
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

this is why i don't buy from in stock inventory. i witnessed several M4s being throttled down side roads being test driven by bev hills knuckleheads.