Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #1
djjazzyv
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4- alpine white, 19s,dct

quick exterior cleaning

New M4 owner..any recommendation on products for a quick exterior spray down. There are few spots I'd like to clean so I don't need to hose it down with water. Plus it's 20 degrees here ..lol
Additionally, what type of cloth or sponge I should use?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I am not a detailing expert but I believe if you have dust or dirt on your car and you do any sort of quick detailer your just going to add swirls to your paint. I have stayed away from quick detailer unless its immediately after a wash or if there is bird poop that needs addressing asap.

Any who ill let the experts post their input. 20 degrees! thats so cold! Congrats on the new ride!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

It's gonna be like -6 here in NY in a couple of days. You prius/electric guys on the west coast are f-ing up this global warming thing. Buy more SUV's please!
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

Okay. Difficult to spot clean. Risky in that you have no water and you prob will cause little swirls.

I know there are some self car washes in NJ. If it's for the purpose of getting the salt/muck out during winter driving, you are better off using water to help lift up the dirt. If you start applying a quick detail spray, you are touching the paint and may cause swirl marks. I use the self wash hot water/soap combo and then apply the water/wax from the machine (I don't touch the car). For drying, I use a microfiber towel (several towels). If the car is too dirty and the spray wash/soap is not removing the dirt, don't dry the car with a towel, because you'll end up dragging the dirt with the towel and scratching the surface. I usual will look at full detailing after the winter time.

(Please, don't ever bring it through a car wash)

Bear in mind, you should have a full hand wax done prior to the winter to have a base wax, so that you have a layer of protection.

If the dirt is too much, you need to apply a foamier soap to lift the dirt off without scratching the car. Unfortunately, not all self car washes have it, so as some posters have shown, they attach something to your home hose and do it that way. You car basically look like it had a bubble bath. Let it sit a bit to left the soap penetrate.

Bear in mind, if you bring your BMW to service, they might automatically try to wash you car. Pass on that service, unless you really trust your dealer with that.

Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
djjazzyv
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4- alpine white, 19s,dct

Appreciate the feedback
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

If you have to resort to quick detailing then here's my advice:-

Try and get a quick detailer that has carnauba content, this will give you some protection.
Use lots of decent quality microfibre cloths. One per panel and one for applying and one for buffing.

Don't use it on your front windscreen as it will make the glass smear when it rains.
Appreciate 0