E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Oil Level Display Tricking Me...

01-28-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Oil Level Display Tricking Me...

The devil is alive!

Last month... oil warning. Added 1 Liter. The dipstick displayed as max. after this.
Last week... checked it and it displayed as OK.
Earlier week... I am back on max. and yesterday it was on OK.
Today I am one notch below the max. mark.

Is this some kind of pre-warning of a faulty oil level sensor??
Easy to do job or add it to warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:11 AM   #2
hobo mofo
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i e90

If you are checking the oil in different places the car might not exactly be level and giving a false reading. I have a 325i aswell and it drinks oil like a beast, atleast 1 litre a month (800-900miles). I thought i had a leak, it concerned me that i just had to get it checked out. The garage had it for a day and they couldn't find any leaks.
      01-28-2015, 04:56 AM   #3
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Sensor seems to be at the back of the engine nearest the driver. Nose points slightly uphill, level above true. Nose points a little downhill, level below true. Perfectly level. Sensor reads accurately. As that scale seems to be for 1 ltr it can vary quite alot. I crapped my pants first time I got the red warning on a hill. Then worried my sensor was failing being up and down so much. Bring back the dip stick!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo mofo View Post
If you are checking the oil in different places the car might not exactly be level and giving a false reading.
Eh? The BMW oil sensor system is not dependent on being on level ground - in fact it works when the car is on the move.

Oil_Sensor.pdf
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Eh? The BMW oil sensor system is not dependent on being on level ground - in fact it works when the car is on the move.

Attachment 1149910
I can't remember now but didn't the manual suggest level ground?
I'm sure you'd get the most accurate reading that way. If I want an accurate reading on mine I do it stationary on level ground waiting for the engine to warm up.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 02:38 AM   #6
hobo mofo
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
I'm sure you'd get the most accurate reading that way. If I want an accurate reading on mine I do it stationary on level ground waiting for the engine to warm up.
+1
      01-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #7
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Yes it does...if you're checking the level while the vehicle is at a standstill. But it also says (and I quote) "You can have the oil level displayed while you are driving...".

And even at a standstill, the engine has to be running.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo mofo View Post
If you are checking the oil in different places the car might not exactly be level and giving a false reading. I have a 325i aswell and it drinks oil like a beast, atleast 1 litre a month (800-900miles). I thought i had a leak, it concerned me that i just had to get it checked out. The garage had it for a day and they couldn't find any leaks.

Probably leaking internally of the engine. Valve stem seals or something
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

If you can't se any visible leaks and the sensors fighting fit on a 325 you need to look at the following:

Rocker Cover Gasket
Oil Filter Housung Leak(caused by a failing gasket)
Vacuum Pump Leak
Breather Valve/Breather Pipe Contamination(highly likely)

If you can't see any leaks and no leaks are confirmed when inspected and you're losing/or seem to be using oil with no explanation the breather unit and contaminated pipes would be where I'd look as the 325/330 can use a litre of oil if these are done for within 400/500 miles we've seen plenty.

As for the Micky mouse level sensor can be used static/on the move
      01-30-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

Going by what I have heard off the bmw geeks It doesn't matter what position the car is in as the oil level is calculated by how long it takes to get to a certain temp or something along them lines. So as we are having very cold temps at the mo it's messing the system up. My oil level has started playing up since it has got cold and I am seeing many other posts recently saying the same thing. I changed my sensor costing me £150 for the sensor and then Labour on top and mad sod all difference so get it in a warm garage or something and try checking it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
If you can't se any visible leaks and the sensors fighting fit on a 325 you need to look at the following:

Rocker Cover Gasket
Oil Filter Housung Leak(caused by a failing gasket)
Vacuum Pump Leak
Breather Valve/Breather Pipe Contamination(highly likely)

If you can't see any leaks and no leaks are confirmed when inspected and you're losing/or seem to be using oil with no explanation the breather unit and contaminated pipes would be where I'd look as the 325/330 can use a litre of oil if these are done for within 400/500 miles we've seen plenty.

As for the Micky mouse level sensor can be used static/on the move
What is a rough figure for the breather pipe replacement? Please PM. Thanks.
Appreciate 0