THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Classifieds Members Classifieds Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons Unpleasant engine drone at 2300 RPM

01-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
JerryVH
Rep
Drives: 335is Space Grey

Unpleasant engine drone at 2300 RPM

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Every time I drive my M3 (DCT) at 2300 RPM and hold it there I hear a vibrato-oscillating drone that is very different from engine/exhaust sound in all other RPM ranges.

Don't know how this works but 2300 RPM in my car works out almost identically to 2nd gear at 22 MPH - 3rd at 33 - 4th at 44 - 5th at 55 - etc. Interesting.

I hear the vibrato-warble sound (which is definitely NOT pleasant) and then look at tach and speedometer and always the same 2300 RPM (+ or - 100 RPM). I do not hear it at ANY other RPM or speed.

Am I alone in this observation? Can someone please try it? Go to 2300 RPM (or the equivalent speed) in any gear and hold it there. If no one experiences this can someone tell me what it might be? I find my self avoiding this specific RPM range by shifting prematurely.

(Note: it is NOT Active Sound since I had that coded off).

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

what setting are you in? efficient, sport, or sport +

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
JerryVH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
what setting are you in? efficient, sport, or sport +
. Good question. Quite sure it is all settings. Typically drive in Sport+. But I will double check that sound is in all.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

OP...I drove around that rpm in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and tried to listen with the windows down for "unusual" noise (in sport and sport settings). All I can hear is the turbo whine and the typical exhaust sound...sorry I know that doesn't help.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
nene
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Various

Garage List
2015 BMW M4c  [9.00]
I have the M-Perf exhaust had I noticed that to be true and more prominent sound with the ASD on. I coded ASD off this past weekend and found that the drone in-cabin noise dropped considerably. I use the regular 2-bar performance option (Sport) when driving, and am familiar with the RPM range you stated. I'll have to try and maintain it to see if I can hear it with the M-Perf exhaust too.

Unfortunately we got 30+ inches of snow. It may be a few days before I can provide more details.
      01-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
JerryVH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
OP...I drove around that rpm in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and tried to listen with the windows down for "unusual" noise (in sport and sport settings). All I can hear is the turbo whine and the typical exhaust sound...sorry I know that doesn't help.
. Thank you for trying. That does help because, pending replies from others, makes me think something is wrong with my car. I hear the resonance with windows up.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryVH View Post
. Thank you for trying. That does help because, pending replies from others, makes me think something is wrong with my car. I hear the resonance with windows up.
I tried this lunchtime too. Even set it in cruise control and went up through the gears at 2,300 rpm and nothing, sorry.

James.
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I noticed it immediately and mentioned it in my initial euro delivery post. The car runs much more quite on most euro hwys though. Back home there's such a cacophony of noises from the rough roads that I don't notice the drone anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
. Good question. Quite sure it is all settings. Typically drive in Sport+. But I will double check that sound is in all.
ok great, let us know. May be something to do with the valves opening and closing. If it does it in efficient mode then there could be some sort of leak. If shouldn't have drone in efficient mode. I don't get any and I have straight pipe set up, but valves open I do without a doubt

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
cctm4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Hey Op -- I have 6mt and I have the exact same noise you are describing but mine is at 3k rpm in 4th, 5th and 6th gear and when off the accelerator.

Note: I hear this is in all modes.
      01-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep

its hard to diagnose seeing everyone has a different tolerance to sound etc.. I would suggest if you feel something is wrong take it into your dealer and have your SA drive around in the car with you. Show them exactly what your having the issue with and then he can discuss everything with you. I highly recommend this technique instead of dropping it off and describing the issue. Put the SA in car and let him experience first hand

Appreciate 1
      01-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Sorry OP. I tried it my way home from work and heard/felt nothing. I have DCT also. I suggest doing what GOLFFRR is advising.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
JerryVH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
its hard to diagnose seeing everyone has a different tolerance to sound etc.. I would suggest if you feel something is wrong take it into your dealer and have your SA drive around in the car with you. Show them exactly what your having the issue with and then he can discuss everything with you. I highly recommend this technique instead of dropping it off and describing the issue. Put the SA in car and let him experience first hand
I would just love to know if what 'cctm4me' and 'solstice' are hearing is identical to what I hear. It's impossible to capture in an audio recording because it is way too subtle. And other than 'vibrato/oscillating resonance' I don't know how to describe it. 2 friends didn't hear it from the passenger side and frankly even I didn't hear it from the passenger side. And yet, once one tunes into it - it's completely there and even sneaks up on my when I'm not paying attention.

I was looking for some support from this forum before attempting to meet with SA ... and I got it! Interesting that cctm4me hears "IT" at 3K RPM. More postings would be even better.

Ultimately it may be something that some people are ultra-sensitive to and we will learn to live with it. And as solstice says the "cacophony" of other noises kinds of masks it. Still ...

Does Op mean Original Poster?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #14
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
I would just love to know if what 'cctm4me' and 'solstice' are hearing is identical to what I hear. It's impossible to capture in an audio recording because it is way too subtle. And other than 'vibrato/oscillating resonance' I don't know how to describe it. 2 friends didn't hear it from the passenger side and frankly even I didn't hear it from the passenger side. And yet, once one tunes into it - it's completely there and even sneaks up on my when I'm not paying attention.

I was looking for some support from this forum before attempting to meet with SA ... and I got it! Interesting that cctm4me hears "IT" at 3K RPM. More postings would be even better.

Ultimately it may be something that some people are ultra-sensitive to and we will learn to live with it. And as solstice says the "cacophony" of other noises kinds of masks it. Still ...

Yes.
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #15
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:

I hear it as you describe it and at the same rpm range. It is especially noticeable under some load. For example it's hardly there when cruising on a flat road but when it turns uphill enough that the engine need to work a bit it's clearly there and yes it's not very pleasant. So mine is not off throttle ( different from cctm4me ). Again though, now I hardly notice due to all road noise this car generates on worn US tarmac. I do think however that it's part of the design and not a fault on mine or your car and it doesn't bother me now. I thought it was going to be a pita but it isn't. In Europe I didn't cruise that much in this range, I was more in 3k to 3.5k on the hwy, but there are areas there you need to go slower and there was definately drone.

Last edited by solstice; 01-27-2015 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

I installed the MS valve control module so I drove with the valves open and closed at 2500-3500 RPM. There's a large amount of drone with valves open, cold start, and engine under load at 2800 (I was going up my long, steep driveway). Close the valves and it get much quieter. Also, I still have active sound enabled and drive a DCT with stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #17
cctm4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Honestly, taking my car into the dealer for strange noise that I hear in a certain rev range, is not something I care to do.

My local dealer is a pain in the ass to deal with and if I approach them with a strange noise at 3k, or inform them of the loud howl I get on occasion when I depress the clutch pedal, they will say normal.

Soooo, I take it on the chin and spend my time reading forums waiting for someone to post up possible related issues, then wait for the BMW internet / car gurus to chime in on what the potential problem could be, wait till the post dies with someone that says "take it to the dealer OP" and then back to the waiting lounge I go.

By that time, I have already developed a new noise anyway.
      01-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #18
JerryVH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctm4me View Post
Honestly, taking my car into the dealer for strange noise that I hear in a certain rev range, is not something I care to do.

My local dealer is a pain in the ass to deal with and if I approach them with a strange noise at 3k, or inform them of the loud howl I get on occasion when I depress the clutch pedal, they will say normal.

Soooo, I take it on the chin and spend my time reading forums waiting for someone to post up possible related issues, then wait for the BMW internet / car gurus to chime in on what the potential problem could be, wait till the post dies with someone that says "take it to the dealer OP" and then back to the waiting lounge I go.

By that time, I have already developed a new noise anyway.
+1000
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #19
m3s_are_crisp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds like I'm not the only one. I got roasted in the post I made but this is exactly the same crap I hear in my car between 2-3k RPM's. I made a video but the sound quality really come through unless you turn the bass up a bit. Brought my car in last week for the 1200 mile service and drove around with a tech. It took a while for him to understand what I was talking about and what worked was sitting at a stop, in neutral, then slowly reving the engine up past 2k.

At 2000 RPM's there's a higher pitched drone. Around 2200-2500 it's...wah wah wah wah, then gradually speeds up closer to 3k. Past 3k I can't hear it because the engine noise is so loud.

It's incredibly annoying and I find myself constantly keeping the car out of the 2xxx RPM range because of it.

Link to my original post.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1077957
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #20
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Moderator can you move this post where it belongs - N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning ? These are the classifieds
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #21
*bimmervibe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

Did anyone find out what was the cause of the noises?

I just got a used 2015 228 xdrive and I hear a similar noise from 3rd gear up in the range of 4k to 5k rpm, accelerating only. I will bring this up with the dealer but I'm afraid that they might just say is normal.
Appreciate 0