E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Speakers crackle upon engine start after JL XD600 install

01-26-2015, 05:43 AM   #1
AzRiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LE500

Exclamation Speakers crackle upon engine start after JL XD600 install

Hi guys

I installed a JL XD600/6 amp over the weekend and used Technic's harness for the connection. The car is a 2010 E92 330d with HiFi system.

All went well, the amp works and the music plays well.

The only problem is that I hear the speakers make an instantaneous crackle noise when I start the engine. It doesn't stay, it just happens once quickly. The few times that it doesn't happen, my iDrive screen goes black for a few seconds and then re-appears. This has never happened before until after this install.

I have checked and re-checked my connections, the positive is connected to the top-left terminal on the battery's fuse box (because my fuse box didn't have any populated slots available) with a 50-amp inline fuse. The ground is connected to the ground connection where the factory harness also grounds to just above the factory amp location, and is connected flat and solid.

I am using the recommended settings on amp of: no gains on channels 1+2, 3+4 ... 9'o'clock gain on channels 5+6 ... 200Hz cutoffs on all channels with channels 1-4 being high-pass and 5+6 being low-pass. Switched to 4-channel amp mode. All speakers are the factory speakers.

Factors that I have concluded:
  • Crackle only happens once upon engine start, no issues after this instance
  • This issue has only started since the new amp has been installed
  • Unplugging harness from new amp and plugging back into the factory amp stops the crackle issue
  • Removing RCAs from JL amp removes the crackle noise (quite obvious, but worth a check)
  • I'm quite certain the crackle comes from all 4 corners because removing the RCAs for front inputs makes the crackle audible from the rear speaker very obviously (wasn't so obvious before as the crackle noise from the front is louder and dominates)
  • The green light on the amp flashes a few times upon its own startup and then stays on as a solid light after this (I hope that's normal?)

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Az

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #2
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
May not be related, but I found the factory ground point pretty shit TBH (the one just up the rear wheel arch, with the black plastic tab with half a dozen earth wires, right?). I was getting alternator whine.

I ended up running a new earth back to the battery earth point by the drivers side rear light.
      01-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
May not be related, but I found the factory ground point pretty shit TBH (the one just up the rear wheel arch, with the black plastic tab with half a dozen earth wires, right?). I was getting alternator whine.

I ended up running a new earth back to the battery earth point by the drivers side rear light.
agree, this sounds earth related to me
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the reply guys. I was wondering about this but am surprised that other people have written up their guides for this amp's install and most of them have used that ground location.

Technic has provided his input on the topic: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083800

What do you guys think? I had a bad feeling it was the battery because the car is over 4 years old now and probably on the factory battery. Also, I started the car many times on the day of the install without taking it on a good drive so maybe it became drained in an already-weak state. I drove it 30 miles to work today so will see how it behaves on the way home and again tomorrow morning.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #5
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

Hi,

How did you get on with this, any update?

Got a similar issue and mine is a JL XD 500/3

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 04:05 AM   #6
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbrock72 View Post
Hi,

How did you get on with this, any update?

Got a similar issue and mine is a JL XD 500/3

Cheers
Hi mate

A lot of things have led me to believe that it is a dying battery that is at fault, especially the input of Technic in a mirror of this thread in the Audio section of the forum (non-UK specific).

Basically what he said, and I have found it to be true, is that the amp restarts when the engine starts up, which is definitely the case. A couple of other UK members have confirmed that their amps do not do this.

So the reason seems to be that the battery cannot handle keeping the amp powered when it powers the starter motor. Once the engine starts, power kicks in and starts the amp up again. The crackle is the restart of power to the amp.

So, I'm having my battery replaced and coded on Friday. Hopefully that solves the issue. Having done a voltage test at the battery terminals when the car is unlocked (welcome lights on, amp receiving power) I am seeing as low as 11.9V ... don't know if that's normal or not but I'm hoping that it's not lol.

Will report back by Monday to update the effect of the battery change

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep

Cheers mate, sounds interesting. My battery is the original, which is nearing 4yr old now...

Be really interested to hear if a new battery fixed it for you.

Out of interest, where you getting it done?

Cheers mate

Garry
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbrock72 View Post
Cheers mate, sounds interesting. My battery is the original, which is nearing 4yr old now...

Be really interested to hear if a new battery fixed it for you.

Out of interest, where you getting it done?

Cheers mate

Garry
My car was born in October 2010 so nearly 4.5 years on the factory battery. Based on research on this forum especially, people seem to be comfortably getting 6 years from their batteries on E9x before they start having issues (some people see 7+) so I'm a bit unhappy that this is the case - BUT I really hope that it IS the case and fixes the amp restarting issue.

I ordered the battery from Harry Fairbairn (as seen in my price request thread: http://www.bmwforums.info/harry-fair...tery-330d.html) for £169 delivered, and being fitted+coded by A1BN in Stevenage (as arranged by old grey steve ) for a reasonable cost.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #9
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Had the battery replaced on Friday, crackling issue has now gone

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRiz View Post
Had the battery replaced on Friday, crackling issue has now gone
Great News thatas we didn't know for sure
      02-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #11
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Great News thatas we didn't know for sure
Was about to PM you haha but yeah, no crackles in the 3 starts since I left yours on Friday so looking good! Transmission is doing nicely, not a hugely noticeable change in my case but definitely nice and smooth and has ticked one item of maintenance off of the list at the right sort of mileage.

Thanks again for sorting it for a good price and with high-quality, professional work on my car

Hopefully see you later in the year for some more maintenance work!

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRiz View Post
Was about to PM you haha but yeah, no crackles in the 3 starts since I left yours on Friday so looking good! Transmission is doing nicely, not a hugely noticeable change in my case but definitely nice and smooth and has ticked one item of maintenance off of the list at the right sort of mileage.

Thanks again for sorting it for a good price and with high-quality, professional work on my car

Hopefully see you later in the year for some more maintenance work!
As said good to hear about the battery, tranny wise some report more noticeable differences all depends though on the state of the gearbox pre work, some have issues like major leaks some like yours leak wise were nigh on non existent therefore pre post work with the adaptation re set may differ again from car to car.
      02-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #13
russ9898
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D LCI E92 Coupe

Slightly off topic but how much was the technic harness and what was the shipping time etc?

Russ
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:57 AM   #14
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ9898 View Post
Slightly off topic but how much was the technic harness and what was the shipping time etc?

Russ
I didn't order it directly from him as I found this amp and the harness for sale on eBay and bought it like that (came out of a 1-series) but I would budget about £95 (including tax) and maybe a couple of weeks for shipping.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #15
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep

Sorry only just seen this, great to hear your battery sorted the crackling issue and thanks for keeping this thread updated, might be a good starting point for me sorting mine out!

Cheers
Garry
Appreciate 0