BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #1
Estoril1992
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3 DCT

M5 Advice Needed

I'm having a very good deal thrown at me by the dealer to jump into the new 335d xdrive LCI due to an imperfection in the rear seat leather on collection. But every time I see a high power petrol car I'm still jealous of the noise and road presence! So recently my thoughts have been moving more towards looking at a used 2012/2013 M5 with somewhere in the region of 6000-15000 miles on the clock. I'm trying to justify the numbers to myself so need some advice from members on here:

1. How many mpg do you get on local roads and what speeds are these achieved at. I do a very low speed 16MPH (average) commute to work and what do people expect to see in this mpg region?

2. If you have done a motorway trip at approx. 70MPH average can you tell me what mpg you achieved?

3. Did anyone who has done the transition from a xDrive to the M5 one that they regret in traction sense and how are you finding putting the power down compared to the 335d?

4. Is the competition pack something worth looking for?

At the moment I'm in early days just trying to see what the overall cost would be to myself. If numbers are within reason then I will get one for a test drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

The M5 is a wonderful vehicle, but if you're even questioning the MPG, I'm not sure it's the right car for you. To actually answer your question, if you're driving conservatively at the speeds you've listed, expect the 20-25mpg range. Actually driving the M5 properly, you're going to see your MPG drop considerably.

I cannot comment on the xDrive question, but other here have in the past. The M5 can be challenging off of the line to gain traction, but it can be done.

Regarding the Competition Package (ZCP), this has been discussed numerous times (do a quick search). Personally, I'm happy I chose it (appearance, slightly better exhaust note vs stock, slight power bump), but it is not a good value.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

As far as I knew the 3 series LCI isn't due out until later this year so do you mean the current F30 335d?

I've just come out of a 335d xdrive. The noise and presence is not even comparable. If it's a noise you want, you have to have petrol. The 6 cylinder diesel may not be as bad as you may expect from a diesel but it's still a diesel nevertheless

If you're thinking of petrol, mpg is never going to be as good. If you throw in a 4.4 litre petrol engine in, even worse. If you do go for the M5 option, expect poor mpg, you're not buying mpg you're buying a beast. Even cautiously driving in the break in stage with only maybe 30% town driving and the rest on the motorways I'm getting about 22mpg at the moment. It is still better than I expected I have to mostly stick to the 70mph limit on the motorway as I have to pass through the new speed cameras on the M4 which put a bit of a dampener on things

The traction of the M5 may not be as good as the xdrive was but as long as you are aware that the front wheels won't be dragging you along too and be a bit more cautious in your launches then the M5 will still throw you all the way back into the back seat. Hold on and try not to grin too wildly is my advice.

I certainly don't regret the change. If anything, I didn't like the xdrive and the characteristics of the drive. It would sometimes seem like the car couldn't decide whether to put the power to the front or back so you had this weird rocking sensation. The suspension was never quite right either and it didn't enjoy going over speed bumps at all.

I didn't go for the competition pack, mainly because I was debating over it for so long my order locked in. Thinking about it now, it's probably no bad thing I don't have it but I don't miss what I've not had. Finding an M5 to test drive with and without is the only way to decide for yourself but I reckon the car without is enough for most of the driving you'll ever do in this car. Unless you intend to do a track day then it's probably not worth spending the extra on. That's not to say I wouldn't add it next time though

The overall cost to change for me was surprisingly low. With the discounts and 0% available on a new M5 at the moment it's worth considering buying new too rather than used?
      01-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
rocky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

get it you will never regret it. i get 16 mpg combined city and highway usage with sport and sport plus settings and having a blast....if i drive more city than im getting about 10-12 mpg...if im only freeway ill get 22-24 mpg , but thats in 7th gear and basically straight line driving...but you really cant get an M5 and worry about mpg.....that will stress you out too much as you see 8-10 mpg on some occasions on aggressive driving.... and with this beast you wont be able to help yourself.....i have non Cp and it suits me just fine...i had a 535i prior and the difference is night and day....i did a exhaust flap mod and the exhasust note is significantly better and louder and gets lots of compliments. all i can say you will love this car...respect it power and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 02:05 AM   #5
jamiesecker
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP

I went from a 530 D M Sport too a M5 and all I can say is it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it unlike any other car.
On a long run yesterday I maintained 26mpg so not bad and have only covered 2 k so still running in.
Insurance was less than £90 a year which supposed me.
Go for it as you will not look back