E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > cant seem to get the tracking right

01-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I LCI E92

cant seem to get the tracking right

hi all, had my car tracked at a local indy garage. i was there throughout the entire process and i saw the laser points on the wheel scales. each side was at 6.5 to the rear wheels and the two front wheels both matched at 25.

the steering wheel was dead on centre and locked in place. as soon as i drove off with the steering centered the car pulls to the right.

when i let go of the wheel the car corrects itself and goes straight but the wheel is then slumped to the left.

ive takin it back and had it retracked 3 times now. its very annoying as it impacts the stability and handling expecially at high speed on the motorway.

anyone has any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

worn suspension components will do this. have them checked
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

took it in for the bushes and suspension arms to be checked.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
katie.g
woman with spanners
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91

many yrs ago I had this problem on a lancia integrale. It was a faulty tyre carcass

regards kate
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks all. will see what they say when they check the suspension/tyres
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

what was your problem in the end?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

had the car checked and all suspension components were fine, got it tracked again with a HUNTER DIGITAL INFARED system. drove on the motor way and the car felt perfect handling wise, but the steering wheel was off by about an inch. as i have paddles and an m sport wheel it was very annoying so i took the steering wheel off and put it back on straight.lol

p.s i think the new wheel may hav been slightly different as i had swaped my original m sport wheel for a lci m sport wheel with paddles. my original wheel sat straight when the car was straight and my new wheel sat to the left, even after locking it in the straight position and tracking it still sat slightly left when driving so just thought...what ever and took it off sat it straight then sloted it back on.

not hte car is perfectly tracked and the wheel sits perfectly centred
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #8
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Had mine done twice recently. Second time was better in that the wheel is straighter and doesn't pull as much but the handling is odd.

They said the components were fine as well. Going to get it checked again. It was better before I got it checked!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

Yh same here car was fine but the wheel was slanted, had a few different places done the tracking with the old laser system and the haldling was really bad. Got it done with the infared digital system and its spot on but the steerin was slanted again. Right where instarted. So think its the wheel. I jist removed it and set it straight then put it back. As the car is handling perfectly
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20b25 View Post
Had mine done twice recently. Second time was better in that the wheel is straighter and doesn't pull as much but the handling is odd.

They said the components were fine as well. Going to get it checked again. It was better before I got it checked!
Find a place that does the digital computerised trackin as to the old style laser trackin. Alot better and very very acurate. They imput the make and model and the system has a database with the manufatures specification. Then it colaberates to them. Then the operater makes the nessasary adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

I had this problem, it was due to cheap rear tyres not being the same size. Always make sure you use the same make tyres, correct size and good quality. If you want to make sure torque development's in lakeside will tell you if your tyres are different sizes. Their machine is very good and they know what they are doing. I would 99% say it's your tyres to blame.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
35d
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Steering

I have this issue
paid Broadway auto centre £90 for 4 wheel hunter alignment and front tyres balancing done a proper shit job pulled to left and not stable at high speeds. Went back and they blamed the tyres

Now had it redone at another place and its spot on apart from the steering is an inch to the left they checked it and the hunter print out says steering is straight but it's a inch to left

Can I take the steering off and put it straight? I thought it only goes on one way?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 07:41 PM   #13
paulmiles89
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 335i E93

if i remember rightly from when i was back in a garage. when looking at the wheel alignment data to set the tracking correctly weights have to be stratigically place at certain points in the vehicle! eg 25kg in the passenger footwell and so on.... i had my 3 series on a two poster ramp today for rear tyre replacment and after the job was done my steering wheel is slightly out. i know fine well the bushes are all ok and i replaced a drag link all of 2 months ago. so its abit of a mystery why mine is miss aligned after having the vehicle fully lifted!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #14
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

You cant really take the wheel off and the position it back central

Screws around with the steering angle sensor iirc

If the wheel is off to one side the front tracking is off
Appreciate 0