BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

01-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Dropping #1 allocation to hold out for M-DKG

I called my dealer today to let him know that I'm passing on my ordered car. Unfortunately, it had already gone into status 150 which means the options can no longer be changed for the customer next on the list. However, he did point out that since I'm a valued repeat customer having bought my E60 M5 from them, that there should be no problem and they will get me the car I want with M-DKG as soon as the ordering system allows it. He also went on to say that even though I ordered a fully loaded car, selling it should be no problem since it will be their first M3.

If anyone is interested in taking delivery if an Alpine White with Fox red interior M3 coupe, fully loaded minus moonroof, from an Chicago area dealer, PM me for the contact info. My dealer did mention to feel free to pass the word to friends.

The wait gets even longer, but M-DKG here I come!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I just did the same .....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
EricFother
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe 6MT

Ok...forgive me in advance for my ignorance and I hope I don't start a flame war with my question. I did

Here goes...

Why hold out for the M-DCT? I understand and have read the "press release" posts on it: It's a dual clutch...seven speed tranny. Very "roughly" it's half way between a manual an automatic. Ie...you "ask" the tranny to shift (by moving a lvl where a manual has a shifter) or press a paddle and it does it. I assume it's very fast...ie...faster than a human could shift gears. I have heard people talk of the "old" SMG.

I guess what I'm really asking is: Is it that much better for performance for all around driving? such as on a track or twisty road? or is it "mainly" a boon to the 0-60 crowd?

Thanks in advance

Delivered March 27, 2007
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

I would imagine for twisty roads it would be safer as you would not have to let go of the steering wheel to down shift, etc.
Plus a lot of people are thinking about it for sake of convenience. Some times you just don't want to deal with traditional shifting (in traffic) or I might need the SUV so my wife has to take my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

I'm opting for the DKG mainly for 4 reasons:

1) Convenience of an automatic mode for daily driving especially traffic: I live and work in a big busy city (Chicago)

2) Safer and faster (theoretically) on the track: I'm not the most adept when it comes to heel-toe shifting and in fact have spun many rwd cars from blown shift entering a turn.

3) My GF promised she will attend track events with me again because she refuses to drive my RS4 or any manual car for fear of blowing up the tranny or engine. She is even less adept at heel-toe-shifting and has no motivation to learn.

4) Launch control! Although I'm sure our version will be dumbed down
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
runutzzzzz
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M5

Why didn't you just get the #1 spot and sell the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
///MArdor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by runutzzzzz View Post
Maybe because he is a nice guy!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by runutzzzzz View Post
Most dealers seriously try to dissuade speculation, which is what it would appear, especially for a new limited-supply car. Better to let someone else on the list who has been waiting get it, especially if the dealer is willing to move you down the list and not make you get back on at the bottom.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0