E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Is It Possible To Have Front HID Lights?

01-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
L.Tang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: German

Is It Possible To Have Front HID Lights?

Basically i have a E90 320d on a 08 plate and want to upgrade my head lights which are the standard halogens, due to the fact on my previous car I had xenons and it seems a bit dull and feel like i had candles for head lights.

So I'm wondering is there a HID kit that fits with no trouble with MOT'S, or warning lights etc?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Imbue
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 Xdrive

I don't know
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
basim07
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330i & E90 330D

Yes there is, can get via eBay look for Cambus compatible systems specifically for the E90 aka search E90 HID and look to check they fit said car

To pass an Mot properly youl need to source auto level sensors and install then along with headlight washers to pass an Mot .. that's to pass it completely by the books.. a lot of people ahem get it passed through a sound tester they know but the auto levels imo are important otherwise you will be blinding people coming the opposite way
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 03:44 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Can you clarify exactly what you are talking about?

1. New headlight clusters? With Xenon HID ballasts / bulbs etc third party or OEM?

2. Crappy HID kit for halogen clusters which will blind every one else on the road?

If 1, my understanding is you do not need washers and levelling sensors. I was told that MOT states, auto levellers and washers are present they MUST be working. If they aren't present it doesn't matter. Or something to that effect. You can pick up a pair of OEM Xenon for under £600 now on eBay. They will auto adjust to an acceptable angle. Coding will also be required. Fitting is pretty simple by just removing bumper. 3rd party units are ok as well, not 100% perfect fit but a lot cheaper at around £300.

You can fit washers and levellers. If you really want. This won't be cheap.

If 2, everyone will hate you. HID bulbs in halogen headlights are annoying for everyone because of the beam pattern.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:26 AM   #5
keesu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330d se auto

Have you thought of fitting H7 cree bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:22 AM   #6
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Sensible pretty much nailed it.

Retrofitting those nasty ebay kits into a reflector headlamp is an awful way to go, you lose all beam control and the glare blinds all oncoming traffic. Yes, you can now see better, but no-one else can see and your running a big risk of getting stopped by the fuzz.

Your options are either to buy a proper set of BMW HID headlamp units, or, to retrofit HID projector assemblies into a halogen headlamp unit.

As for washers and levelling, its a sorta weird area. British law doesnt allow HID headlamps. Manufacturers fit them using a European type approval scheme which overrides british law, and that type approval states that HID's can be fitted so long as the headlamp units are approved for HID use, and the vehicle is equipped with headlamps washers, and self levelling, either inside the headlamps, or for the whole car.

The MOT however is worded differently. The MOT test says "cars fitted with HID headlamps may have headlamp washers and self levelling systems. If these systems are fitted, they must work". Clearly that leaves the door open for the car passing if the systems arent there at all. However it doesnt remove the type approval requirement.

Essentially its illegal to use them without washers and self levelling, but you will pass an MOT like that just fine, and in reality your very unlikely to ever have a problem with a properly installed setup with proper HID projectors. It would take a very eagle eyed copper to notice that you dont have washers, and finding the self levelling parts is more than anyones going to do at the side of the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 05:29 AM   #7
MainerZ
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D M Sport

You have the standard reflector headlights? Look for HID kits that are Smart Canbus compatable and are H7R. H7 is the lamp type and the R stands for reflectors. www.hids-direct.co.uk is where I got mine.

Pretty simple install, don't have issues with blinding other drivers (I even checked with someone as I HATE that from other cars) are they are setup for reflectors and have no problems with MOTs, especially since the wording in the test is so vague.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 06:20 AM   #8
Fantastic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 Xdrive

If you have the standard reflector type headlights don't do it.
HID's send light out all over the place whilst halogen bulbs direct light a specific way which is why aftermarket HID's in reflector headlights scatter light everywhere and blind oncoming traffic..
If you really want xenons do it properly and source xenon headlights with level sensors and headlight washers, there's a few threads on here where people have done it. you won't have to faff about changing bulbs over for mot every year too.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
tom619
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesu View Post
Have you thought of fitting H7 cree bulbs.
I have, can you recommend any and are they easy to install?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerZ View Post
You have the standard reflector headlights? Look for HID kits that are Smart Canbus compatable and are H7R. H7 is the lamp type and the R stands for reflectors. www.hids-direct.co.uk is where I got mine.

Pretty simple install, don't have issues with blinding other drivers (I even checked with someone as I HATE that from other cars) are they are setup for reflectors and have no problems with MOTs, especially since the wording in the test is so vague.
Are you saying there are HID kits made for reflector headlights that doesn't blind other traffic? Seems too good to be true, can you post a link?

I have enquired about led crees as well, they are technically legal UNTILL the MOT people update their rules. These are probably your best bet but im having trouble finding a kit that can be fitted without any modification.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
MainerZ
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Are you saying there are HID kits made for reflector headlights that doesn't blind other traffic? Seems too good to be true, can you post a link?

I have enquired about led crees as well, they are technically legal UNTILL the MOT people update their rules. These are probably your best bet but im having trouble finding a kit that can be fitted without any modification.

Cheers
I had to phone up the company and ask as I didn't know the difference between H7 and H7R, but sure enough he said the R means they''re designed for reflectors and I did have a pal check it by coming the other way, didn't seem to have any problems. They are bright, but no blinding glare like what people including myself have experienced.

This is what I got: http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/new-pre...canbus-system/

Does mess with the radio signal though, need to sort that out with some shielding or grounding etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 04:09 AM   #12
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Link to my xenon conversion - expensive, but the best way IMO

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912413
Appreciate 0