Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Sidewall cracks in Conti Extreme Contact DW

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Sidewall cracks in Conti Extreme Contact DW

Had a slow leak (hard to believe it was slow after seeing THIS) in my driver's side rear tire (Conti Extreme Contact DW) so I took it to my local Trax Tires dealer and had it checked out, expecting a small nail or bad valve stem.

And, instead...found MAJOR fissures on the inside sidewall of BOTH rear tires. I was shocked!

Called TireRack and they sent me an Email to respond to with mileage, DOT dates, tread depth and pictures, which I have just done.

But...anyone else experience this with Conti/DWs? Turns out, there are numerous reports on the Internet. I've had about 4 sets of these between my E46 and E93 and never had a problem.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...e%20dw%20tires

Now trying to decide whether to replace these with more DWs (which I have liked as far as mileage, ride and quietness) or...bite the bullet ($$$) and go back to Michelins.

Name:  Conti sidewall cracks.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  415.6 KB
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 01-02-2015 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Whoa, never seen that before with the Conti DW. Drive safe!
      01-02-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
I only have 18" rims, but got around 40 to 50k out of my last Conti DWs with no cracks like that. Now running Conti DWS with no problem after around 15k.

How many miles do you have on these and where are you (wondering about the climate they have been exposed to). I wonder if this is the kind of thing that happens when you hit a bad pothole too. These non-RFTs dont seem to bubble like the RFTs. Maybe they just crack.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #4
meehowhow
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e90 Msport

Michelin Pilot Super Sports ftw.

2014 VW Golf TDI
2011 BMW 335i e90 - Sold
1990 BMW 535i e34 - Sold
2008 BMW 335i e92 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:20 AM   #5
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I've had a Conti DW 265/35R18 rear tire sidewall blow out a few months ago. I really didn't think I hit anything and was <3,000 miles before it let go. I ended up getting PS2s as replacements. I should look at the second Conti to check for sidewall cracks.
      01-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I only have 18" rims, but got around 40 to 50k out of my last Conti DWs with no cracks like that. Now running Conti DWS with no problem after around 15k.

How many miles do you have on these and where are you (wondering about the climate they have been exposed to). I wonder if this is the kind of thing that happens when you hit a bad pothole too. These non-RFTs dont seem to bubble like the RFTs. Maybe they just crack.
They have 36k on them (manufactured in 8/2012). My car is a daily commuter and it's nice, smooth Interstate all of the way....no potholes. Of course, the TPMS keeps us from every driving them with low pressure, which has also been suggested as a cause, but...never happened. I live in the South where it does get hot but rarely freezes.

I have a set of DWs on the front made in '09 that have the same number of miles (were removed due to damage to the rims) that are still perfect.

It looks like Conti may have had problems in mid to late 2012 according to the Google search I did (above).
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I've had my fair share of QC issues with Conti DWS tires, but nothing that crazy.

Since you go pretty easy on your car, it might just be worth going with all seasons IMO. You'll likely double the amount of miles you get out of the tires and probably won't notice a huge difference in grip compared to those summer tires; especially when compared to something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, etc. Just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
I've had my fair share of QC issues with Conti DWS tires, but nothing that crazy.

Since you go pretty easy on your car, it might just be worth going with all seasons IMO. You'll likely double the amount of miles you get out of the tires and probably won't notice a huge difference in grip compared to those summer tires; especially when compared to something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, etc. Just a thought...
Good advice! Thanks

What problems have you had with Contis?

Edit: Probably going to step up tpo 245/35-19s. (I'm now in a square setup with 19x8.5s...12mm spacers in rear. Tired of going through two sets of rears for every one set of fronts. ) Ain't many all season choices in that size. In fact...there's ONE: The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 01-03-2015 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Nice! I would go for it. The square setup will help a lot too.

My QC issues involved getting multiple tires that had too much road force. Although the tires would "balance fine" they would shimmy/hop/vibrate/etc. until I got Conti to keep sending me tires until I found a set that didn't have any problems. I've posted on here before about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Nice! I would go for it. The square setup will help a lot too.

My QC issues involved getting multiple tires that had too much road force. Although the tires would "balance fine" they would shimmy/hop/vibrate/etc. until I got Conti to keep sending me tires until I found a set that didn't have any problems. I've posted on here before about it.
I think I'm having that same problem but my set is reaching the end of it's life so we'll see how news one do.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:

+1 I mainly went with DWS because the "MS" on the side will help me in the winter with the California Highway Patrol checks. But in the back of my mind, I was thinking the rubber might last longer than DWs assuming the all seasons are less sticky.

Edit: Yeah, I guess the first suspect would be running the tires with too low pressure. Presumably the torque on the drive wheels with too low pressure might cause this on the rears and not on the fronts if you just let all the tires get too low with their natural loss of pressure (that reminds me I should check my tire pressure). I guess another possibility would be putting in too much pressure, but who would do that on both sides unless you have a defective pressure gauge (I have seen these on bad gas station compressors -- very dangerous).

But if other people are reporting the problem too it sounds more like a manufacturing defect. Probably showing up on the drive wheels because of their torque. Good thing we have RWD in case somthing like this results in a blowout at high speed.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.

Last edited by Quasimodem; 01-03-2015 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #12
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1 I mainly went with DWS because the "MS" on the side will help me in the winter with the California Highway Patrol checks. But in the back of my mind, I was thinking the rubber might last longer than DWs assuming the all seasons are less sticky.

Edit: Yeah, I guess the first suspect would be running the tires with too low pressure. Presumably the torque on the drive wheels with too low pressure might cause this on the rears and not on the fronts if you just let all the tires get too low with their natural loss of pressure (that reminds me I should check my tire pressure). I guess another possibility would be putting in too much pressure, but who would do that on both sides unless you have a defective pressure gauge (I have seen these on bad gas station compressors -- very dangerous).

But if other people are reporting the problem too it sounds more like a manufacturing defect. Probably showing up on the drive wheels because of their torque. Good thing we have RWD in case somthing like this results in a blowout at high speed.
I had these tires on the front of my car for about 30k miles....inflated to 35 psi all that time. I just moved them to the rear when I went to a square setup about 2k ago. I wish I had inspected the inside surface of the tires then.

Got the message from Tirerack that this issue would be covered under warranty. They have to be sent back for that to happen. I told them I was considering going to the Michelin PSS and it sounds like they are going to offer a discount option on the Michelins vs the warranty claim, which is not clear yet as to whether that claim would be a full replacement or a prorated one.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #13
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
+1 I mainly went with DWS because the "MS" on the side will help me in the winter with the California Highway Patrol checks.
They check your tires?! Ohio doesn't even give a damn if people use summer tires in winter.

One more reason for me not move to Cali. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #14
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Final resolution...

Discussed the situation with TireRack (who were GREAT in this situation, BTW...talk to Jane Yuhasz ) and they ended up giving me a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (which I decided to swap to) for 20% off on 4 tires (a $200 savings) rather than roll the dice with Conti over these two year-old, 32K mi tires by removing and returning the defective tires. Ordered them at noon-thirty on Tuesday and got them via UPS at 1:00PM the next day.

I'm happy with the outcome and LOVE the Michelin PSS, which are smooth, quiet and a much meatier looking tire (steeper sidewalls). These PSS help fill the wheel well and make the car look a bit more lowered. Glad I didn't order them in 245/35-19, tho. Not sure they would have fit without rubbing judging by the way they look now, especially in the rear with the 12mm spacers.
Appreciate 0