E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Bit of help please,E90 heater not working :-(

12-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
den656
Private
Rep
Drives: 318D

Bit of help please,E90 heater not working :-(

Hi all,am after a bit of help if possible please , basically my car has been parked up for a few days (318D saloon 2009 if it matters ) has been running ,working fine, went out to it today and the temp sensor was showing 1 degree, started it ,started fine but for some reason , the heater fans are not working whatsoever, as I turned them to maximum to clear the screen etc but absolutely no sound of rushing air or anything,so turned them all off totally and left the car to warm up,clear the back screen instead.
Have left the car a few hours, going to go give it a run and see if any joy with the heaters as they are pretty necessary this time of year , and was wondering if anyone had ever had experience of the fans being stuck due to adverse weather or anything ? As where I park it is half in shade, so one side and the top of the bonnet were totally coveted in ice, not the easy to scrape off type,but the hard as heck kind ,any thoughts , ideas appreciated,cheers , Dennis .
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Does fan actually work, I.e. Do you get cold air through or nothing at all?

If you get cold air through does this warm up after about 5 mins of driving?

Your e90 probably has the auxiliary heater which is used as an initial heater before the engine warms up. Once warm you'll get engine warmth through...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

change the fuse?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
katie.g
woman with spanners
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e91

Typical symptom of a tired battery, the IBS cuts current to high consumption accessories ie. Fan or heated rear window etc

Especially if your battery is over 4 yrs or so

Regards kathy
Ps ibs=intelligent battery sensor , also if you do replace the battery make sure you get the exact spec as the cars original battery to avoid charging and coding problems relating to the ibs

Last edited by katie.g; 01-03-2015 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
den656
Private
Rep
Drives: 318D

Thanks for all the replies guys, wondered out after leaving it an hour or so in the sun,and all the ice had melted off the bonnet,fired it up,and there was air lol , so all happy :-) , it may well be a battery problem in the long term,so thanks for suggesting that, when I get chance will have to pop into one of those test centres who test them for free,are they fairly reliable does anyone know ? Or will my battery be literally guaranteed to need replacing? Thanks again all,Dennis ,
Appreciate 0