E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Parking brake not working after replacing parts. Help!

12-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Bmwiphone
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i n51

Hi I'm new to the forum. I bought a used 2007 328i n51, manual 6mt sedan.

The parking brake never worked so I read how to adjust the parking brake with the screw in the wheel. That didn't work so I took it to a euro mechanic that said the brake handle mechanism needed to be replaced and it's common they go bad. Well I'm pretty handy my self so I decided to do it my self. I bought the part and installed it. I had to take out the center console which wasn't so hard and I installed it. Tried to adjust again and the brake doesn't hold at all. I took off both wheels and rotors and saw that the pads doesn't have any wear so I decided to change out the springs and cables thinking maybe it's worn out. Well I just finished that today and still no matter how much I just the screw the brake won't hold?? I'm really stumped on what it could be? I did adjust the screw with the little clip on the brake handle in and afterward release it and see if the hand brake grabs , but nothing?? I'm really frustrated that it's all replaced and adjusted but it doesn't hold. Does any one know what it might be?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Bmwiphone
Rep

The only thing I can think of is the rotors might be wrong size in the first place so nothing is touching the pads
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
vwetish
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwiphone View Post
The only thing I can think of is the rotors might be wrong size in the first place so nothing is touching the pads
You can measure that easily.
Also, photos would help.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
Bmwiphone
Rep

Problem solved! I just replaced the rotors and now it holds. I bought my car used and who ever installed the rotors prior put the wrong ones in. The inner diameter was off by more than .5 inches.
Appreciate 0