E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > AUX & iphone.

12-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
chadvandonkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d M Sport

AUX & iphone.

I've had this issue since I had the car (2008 E91 318d). I've never been able to stream music from my ipod or iphone to the car when AUX is selected on the Professional Stereo - either via Bluetooth or down the Apple cable plugged into the USB port on the car.

I just presumed old software in the car was out of date but is there a trick to it?

Had the same issue in my previous 2010 1 series coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Native streaming via Bluetooth won't work as you'll have a CCC iDrive system which never supported that functionality.

I have a 2008 CCC-based iDrive and was also unable to use the Apple cable, so had to buy the BMW Y cable which allows you to connect a 30pin Apple device, or if you attach a 30pin to Lightning adaptor, an iPhone 5 or 6.

If you want Bluetooth streaming, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is buy a BMW Y cable and then a Viseeo WMA-1000 dongle, which allows full A2DP streaming and support for track information to be displayed on the iDrive screen. The WMA-1000 essentially tricks iDrive into thinking there is a physical device attached via the aux.
      12-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
cadenceE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 Manual, Silver/Black

I hate to beat a dead horse here. But I am new to BMW and as much as I have searched I am just getting more confused.

I have an 09 E92 with Navigation. It has the AUX cable in the center console but no USB. How this is possible in a car built in 2009 I don't know but either way.

I would like to be able to stream music wirelessly to the car and see track info on the screen. Can someone point me to a thread that talks specifically about this? I see all these retrofit guides with all these acronyms and but it just doesn't make sense to me that people would pay over $1000 to have bluetooth streaming.

As I said, I have nav, and I have a usb port in the glove box. Just not one in the center console. I was told this USB in the glove box is for navigation updates only?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadenceE92
I hate to beat a dead horse here. But I am new to BMW and as much as I have searched I am just getting more confused.

I have an 09 E92 with Navigation. It has the AUX cable in the center console but no USB. How this is possible in a car built in 2009 I don't know but either way.

I would like to be able to stream music wirelessly to the car and see track info on the screen. Can someone point me to a thread that talks specifically about this? I see all these retrofit guides with all these acronyms and but it just doesn't make sense to me that people would pay over $1000 to have bluetooth streaming.

As I said, I have nav, and I have a usb port in the glove box. Just not one in the center console. I was told this USB in the glove box is for navigation updates only?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
usb in the armrest is optional extra. It has to be bought separately when purchasing the car. The usb in glove is for navi updates and uploading music to hdd.
What you can do is have the retrofit of the usb.
To stream music trough bluetooth you will need a combox installation and bluetooth.
Hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
cadenceE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinco000 View Post
usb in the armrest is optional extra. It has to be bought separately when purchasing the car. The usb in glove is for navi updates and uploading music to hdd.
What you can do is have the retrofit of the usb.
To stream music trough bluetooth you will need a combox installation and bluetooth.
Hope it helps
Pinco, thank you for the quick reply!

Is this the whole TCU.. VCL.. whatever retro fit thing I have seen pages and pages about? Are people really spending $1000 to retrofit bluetooth into the car?

No one has an after market option?

I just bought a $100 Bluetooth device that plugs into the back of my IS350 stock nav unit and works like a champ.(ID3 Tag info, track change, even came with a mic for the phone) I would have just assumed as long as these cars have been out there would be something simpler.. neater.? I am not opposed to spending money.. it just seems odd.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadenceE92 View Post
Pinco, thank you for the quick reply!

Is this the whole TCU.. VCL.. whatever retro fit thing I have seen pages and pages about? Are people really spending $1000 to retrofit bluetooth into the car?

No one has an after market option?

I just bought a $100 Bluetooth device that plugs into the back of my IS350 stock nav unit and works like a champ.(ID3 Tag info, track change, even came with a mic for the phone) I would have just assumed as long as these cars have been out there would be something simpler.. neater.? I am not opposed to spending money.. it just seems odd.
If you dont want a retrofit, try this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ViseeO-Tune2...BMJY150V13KRY2
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 03:31 AM   #7
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

He says has no USB so the Viseeo device won't work buddy.
      12-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #8
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanthatcan
Quote:

He says has no USB so the Viseeo device won't work buddy.
thought it might work trough his glove box usb
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:10 AM   #9
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thought it might work trough his glove box usb
That USB port is purely for uploading music to the hard drive/installing updates buddy. You need a USB under the armrest to play music from your phone.
      12-20-2014, 02:45 AM   #10
bytejunkie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

jumping in on this thread as im part of the way through researching this.

that usb in armrest is known as 6FL right? and is essentially a usb port cabled up to the MULF2 / combox in the boot?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 02:53 AM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytejunkie View Post
jumping in on this thread as im part of the way through researching this.

that usb in armrest is known as 6FL right? and is essentially a usb port cabled up to the MULF2 / combox in the boot?
Correct!

MULF control your ipod digitally but transmit the audio signals analogue and hence you need Y cable. So usb part is giving you albums, etc etc and helps you to use steering wheel button. Audio signals are still carried out via aux-in.
Exception is if you use usb to play music, then it is all digital.

Combox uses standard apple cable so everything is digital including the audio signals.

HTH.
      12-20-2014, 03:06 AM   #12
bytejunkie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

so from research, the OP needs the original BMW Y Cable. this has usb and 3.5mm on the car end and 30 pin on the other end.

usb carries control signals and 3.5mm carries audio. the cable combines them into the 30 pin apple connector.

i on the other hand, need a mulf2, usb/aux slot and cabling and then some coding and i still dont have A2DP. back to the drawing board.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #13
cadenceE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am sorry to bring this back up.. But I am more than happy using the Viseoo as I have used it in my Audi's before.

I was quoted $650 to add a combox to my car and was wondering if I really need this? I do have bluetooth as mentioned previously. Can I just add the USB portion to the MULF2 that I assume I already have (as I have factory bluetooth) and then get a bmw Y-Cable? I assume some coding will be required or something, but do I have all the major components to at least utilize the WMA100 option?

Man this is so confusing. I am really sorry to ask these questions. Its just carazy to me these cars didn't come with this in 2009 with the HIFI stereo and premium package my car has. And when I search I just get more confused as to what I need.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #14
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

hey Cadence - if you want to add bluetooth music streaming and you only have the aux input (no usb) your best bet is the Kinivo BTC 450 or 455 (if you want to pair 2 devices).
Appreciate 0