E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Are H&R Springs shit quality?

12-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
TokyoCarGuy
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3

Garage List
Thumbs down Are H&R Springs shit quality?

I've had them installed for about 7 months ago and it seems that car keeps getting lower. The original drop was perfect as the OEM wheel gap was eliminated, but now it seems that the wheels are tucked in all the time and there is a lot more rubbing going on on the left side when I go over bumps or make a right turn at speed.

Suspension shop has recommended that I replace the upper mounts, but I am not so sure, as there are only 25K KM on the clock! I also seem to scrape stuff a lot more, I bottom out leaving my drive way ALL THE TIME, but I NEVER used to do that until about 4 months ago.

Tire pressure is a bit lower right now, maybe by 1/8th, but this wouldn't explain the tucked in stance.

I am leaning towards the poor quality of the springs; I've read a few unanswered threads about uneven height and so on, which seem to further illustrate my point.
      12-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
I am experiencing similar things (put about 17,000 miles on them). I can def. tell my ride is lower than before. I had Eibach springs before on a Mitsubishi and they did the same thing... lowering more after a while. My lower plastic shied (underneath the front bumper) now scraps a lot more often, my passenger side was ripped off months ago actually. But I don't bottom out at all, and I don't really have trouble going anywhere.

I won't say it's because of poor quality of the springs but that's just what they do. Mind you I am also running Koni yellow shocks and I don't really see any tucking on my front wheels. I am def. considering running some KW or Bilstein coilovers in the near future but that's because I was to run some more aggressive wheels. I like my ride's quality even though it's lower than before.
      12-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
All springs eventually settle. Driving a lowered car means having to adjust your driving style accordingly (taking inclines at angles, watching for pot holes or road debris more often, generally being much more aware of the road), or don't lower it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

New spring settles, more so with H&R stuff apparently. Swift and Eibach seems to have much better quality control. If you just want a mild lowering, might want to look into BMW performance spring paired with lowering spring perch.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #5
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Im running H&R sports lowering springs, no issues with them at all
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

I am sure they've improved but in mid 90's I put a set of new H&R sports on my E36 M3. Two problems. One the front springs actually corroded through and broke. Both in the same place, under the plastic sleeve thing they come with, and no, not where the spring compressor touched anything. Just rusted right through, no accidents or anything like that. They friggin' snapped! Had that been during a track event or at high speed bad scene. BTW quality spring steel does not rust in that manner; they used or got a bad run of crap metal. Super poor QC.

The other thing was the rears were completely off in terms of stiffness and ride height. Far too tall and just wrong. Too much drop in front and stock or higher ride height rear. LIke nobody ever looked at them on an actual car or did basic calculations before they started shipping. The fronts were replaced under warranty thru Turner, the rears they never did anything about though they changed the design and got it right since. But never did contact buyers of early versions with replacements for the rears. Just super poor quality and customer relations all around. I threw them away.

As a result I tend to not want to have anything from H&R on my cars though as I said I have not heard of any similar issues since.

BTW good quality spring steel does not settle. Rubber bushings and so forth is what is mostly responsible for what people think of when they mean the springs settle. Good springs go through millions of cycles without deformation. If they actually deform, they've exceeded their elastic deformation limit and are basically broken.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoCarGuy View Post
I've had them installed for about 7 months ago and it seems that car keeps getting lower. The original drop was perfect as the OEM wheel gap was eliminated, but now it seems that the wheels are tucked in all the time and there is a lot more rubbing going on on the left side when I go over bumps or make a right turn at speed.

Suspension shop has recommended that I replace the upper mounts, but I am not so sure, as there are only 25K KM on the clock! I also seem to scrape stuff a lot more, I bottom out leaving my drive way ALL THE TIME, but I NEVER used to do that until about 4 months ago.

Tire pressure is a bit lower right now, maybe by 1/8th, but this wouldn't explain the tucked in stance.

I am leaning towards the poor quality of the springs; I've read a few unanswered threads about uneven height and so on, which seem to further illustrate my point.
Let me ask you this, did you just put the springs on stock shocks and struts? If so then that is probably why. I had the H&R touring cup kit on my E90 328 and it never settled. The height remand the same from day of install to day I sold the car. I noticed that people who mount after market springs on OEM shocks/struts are the ones who usually say that the car dropped even lower after a few months.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Let me ask you this, did you just put the springs on stock shocks and struts? If so then that is probably why. I had the H&R touring cup kit on my E90 328 and it never settled. The height remand the same from day of install to day I sold the car. I noticed that people who mount after market springs on OEM shocks/struts are the ones who usually say that the car dropped even lower after a few months.
Have nothing to do with springs on stock shocks. It is just shitty material. OE shocks are low pressure twin tubes, and doesn't affect ride height no matter how low the spring is.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Maybe it's the bushings, when you lower the car they should be indexed (adjusted to new ride height). Otherwise, they will eventually settle since they're under constant tension.

Springs rarely settle unless they're defective. They should maintain a constant spring rate, otherwise your car would eventually be on the ground. Supposedly H&R and Eibach are tested to full coil bind before shipping so they should never settle. I don't think any decent spring would settle.

I've personally never had an issue with springs settling, ever. None of the lowering springs or coilovers I've used on any car has ever settled - Intrax, H&R, Eibach, Ground Control, BC, Tein, KW, Racing Beat... I've measured fender to ground and fender to wheel center multiple times, no settling.

And in regards to snapping, it can happen on other brands as well. My other car is an Infiniti FX, only 2 lowering springs made are H&R and Eibach. There were half a dozen reported instances of Eibach springs snapping due to corrosion (mostly in the North). Zero with H&R and eventually Eibach discontinued the application.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
DYNASTY XSV
Art
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 328xi / E34 525i / F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Have nothing to do with springs on stock shocks. It is just shitty material. OE shocks are low pressure twin tubes, and doesn't affect ride height no matter how low the spring is.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this...I had H&R race on stock non-sport shocks at first and the ride quality SUCKED. After about 700 miles or so I grabbed some Koni Yellows and the ride quality was a world of difference. I mean they are H&R race so they are pretty damn low and whatnot but the ride feels tighter and much better after the aftermarket shocks. And after 25k miles they havent gotten any lower than after the initial settling (2 weeks or so)

Current: E91 328i / E34 525i/5 / F25 X3 35i
Sold: E90 328i/6 - E30 325is - E30 325i Vert - E36 325i - E46 330Ci - E39 540iT/6 - E60 535i
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

What part are you disagreeing with? He said that bad shocks won't lower the vehicle. I don't think he said anything about ride quality. OEM shocks with aftermarket springs will ride worse than with OEM springs, not a big secret. You're saying that with Koni's, your car isn't sagging which of course it won't.

Shocks don't really have any impact on ride height. They control the compression and rebound of the spring, they don't help the spring do it's job. If you take a shock, you can usually compress it with some body weight. Try that with a spring, any standard rate spring for our cars won't compress far with just body weight (a few mm's). If you removed the springs, the car would immediately bottom out the shocks. If you remove the shocks and left the springs, the car would pretty much sit at the same ride height as usual.

Sag can be caused by bushings or the spring isolators (if they're thick enough) since these components can deform with age and load. A spring isn't going to deform under regular use unless it's decades old and been cycled millions and millions of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNASTY XSV View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree with this...I had H&R race on stock non-sport shocks at first and the ride quality SUCKED. After about 700 miles or so I grabbed some Koni Yellows and the ride quality was a world of difference. I mean they are H&R race so they are pretty damn low and whatnot but the ride feels tighter and much better after the aftermarket shocks. And after 25k miles they havent gotten any lower than after the initial settling (2 weeks or so)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
What part are you disagreeing with? He said that bad shocks won't lower the vehicle. I don't think he said anything about ride quality. OEM shocks with aftermarket springs will ride worse than with OEM springs, not a big secret. You're saying that with Koni's, your car isn't sagging which of course it won't.

Shocks don't really have any impact on ride height. They control the compression and rebound of the spring, they don't help the spring do it's job. If you take a shock, you can usually compress it with some body weight. Try that with a spring, any standard rate spring for our cars won't compress far with just body weight (a few mm's). If you removed the springs, the car would immediately bottom out the shocks. If you remove the shocks and left the springs, the car would pretty much sit at the same ride height as usual.

Sag can be caused by bushings or the spring isolators (if they're thick enough) since these components can deform with age and load. A spring isn't going to deform under regular use unless it's decades old and been cycled millions and millions of times.
lol, thanks for saving me the time to write that up. Proper reading comprehension is a rare skill these days.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
DYNASTY XSV
Art
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 328xi / E34 525i / F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
lol, thanks for saving me the time to write that up. Proper reading comprehension is a rare skill these days.
looking back at Cloud9blues post im not sure how I even read that wrong in the first place. Mondays, man...

Current: E91 328i / E34 525i/5 / F25 X3 35i
Sold: E90 328i/6 - E30 325is - E30 325i Vert - E36 325i - E46 330Ci - E39 540iT/6 - E60 535i
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
TokyoCarGuy
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post

Do you think you can provide more details, like post a picture or a diagram? I will have them looked at. Also is worn out upper mount argument valid?