E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Ipod 'Y' cable

12-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

Ipod 'Y' cable

Hi all

Its been suggested by a car audio shop that the official BMW Y cable provides a cleaner signal to the i-Drive and hence a better sound, then the regular white apple USB jobbie.

Reason I ask is that virtually every day my iPod magically disconnects from the iDrive for no apparent reason, and the only way to reconnect is to reboot either the iDrive or the iPod. Using the apple cable.

So, does anyone know if there is any truth in my first paragraph above? and also if the Y cable carries album art on a 2011 with the USB in the front armrest?

finally do you reckon it might fix the iPod disconnecting issue?

cheers in anticipation of any help!

Garry
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
afalton
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 330i m sport

I had similar experience with my 08 e92 idrive. On my research and chat with a mate that worked st bmw he said that the genuine bmw y lead will process all ipod playlists and show them on the nav screen. Since I had the gen cable it's been great touch wood
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E-90 320D M Sport

Please post your findings after you gather the info.

I have a Dec 2010 3 series with I Drive and sat navigation. In the centre arm rest I have 2 sockets, 1 round pin and 1 USB.

I recently connected my I Pod using the white USB cable that came with the I Pod. The artist and albums all appear on the screen and it appears its working ok.

I have observed on another forum someone stated that the Apple cable is no good and a BMW Y cable must be used, that will connect to both sockets.

I do not have any disconnecting issue, but I have no album art work on the screen, and its takes some time before the system will boot if it has just been switched on

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbrock72 View Post
Hi all

Its been suggested by a car audio shop that the official BMW Y cable provides a cleaner signal to the i-Drive and hence a better sound, then the regular white apple USB jobbie.

Reason I ask is that virtually every day my iPod magically disconnects from the iDrive for no apparent reason, and the only way to reconnect is to reboot either the iDrive or the iPod. Using the apple cable.

So, does anyone know if there is any truth in my first paragraph above? and also if the Y cable carries album art on a 2011 with the USB in the front armrest?

finally do you reckon it might fix the iPod disconnecting issue?

cheers in anticipation of any help!

Garry
Appreciate 0