E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > auto box 325d m sport cab 09

11-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
gazzcav
Rep
Drives: bmw 325d msport convertible

auto box 325d m sport cab 09

hi all i have a 09 325d msport cab ,when I'm sitting at lights for more than around 8 secs with foot on brake,when i release brake its like some one has rammed me up the rear,but if I'm in sport mode it doesn't happen ,other than that the gearbox is fine,any ideas
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
gazzcav
Rep

auto
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

First line of protocol.
Reset adaptation settings for gearbox (not soft reset which is mentioned on the forums)
If that does not resolve it, then update the software of your gearbox.
I had a guy who had similar issue but when breaking.
Updated his gearbox software and problem resolved.
      11-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
gazzcav
Rep

any idea how i do that,thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
gazzcav
Rep

just googled it and got it ,try it tomorrow ,some say 30 secs and some say 5
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 02:57 AM   #6
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzcav View Post
just googled it and got it ,try it tomorrow ,some say 30 secs and some say 5
It's not the 'hold accelerator down' method. You need to reset adaptions using diagnostic software. If you have the software installed, setup and the right cable it's easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:06 AM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
First line of protocol.
Reset adaptation settings for gearbox (not soft reset which is mentioned on the forums)
If that does not resolve it, then update the software of your gearbox.
I had a guy who had similar issue but when breaking.
Updated his gearbox software and problem resolved.
As above but I'd also be looking at a the sump/sleeve for leaks as this is where the gear box is scavenging for oil that's been lost.

If you look at the various posts on here there are a good few now re gear box's which tells you something and when we see or hear of these issues when inspected they are usually found to be sweating fluid.

Re setting adaptations on a gear box that's losing fluid may help short term but you need to address the route cause and the easiest way of planning this is to look for a loss of fluid, if nothing is spotted follow makkan00's advise as its bang on.

Last edited by old grey steve; 12-02-2014 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
gazzcav
Rep

thanks,how/were do i get the software and cable,forgive me I'm not very hi tech
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep

I got mine off eBay and works well. Comes with software too- I'll look for the link. You'll need medium computer skills to set up and use it. Spend a bit of time reading up. Or, find a friendly member to reset it for you, only takes a few seconds. Software update should be done while the car is hooked up to a power supply (not just a battery charger).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
gazzcav
Rep

ok thanks would be great if you could send me the link,how do i link the car up to a power supply without battery charger thx
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep

It was sold by user cable-shack. Can't remeber which one but it's blue.

The 70amp power supplies are quite a few hundred quid mate. It's ok to update smaller modules without one. I couldnt update mine as I have the lastest version compatible for my iLevel. To upgrade it, I'd need to update all software onboard so would need to borrow a power supply so I haven't done it. Or get someone else to do it!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
gazzcav
Rep

done all that ,still the same ,crazy if i put it in s mode its fine
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:02 AM   #13
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
done all that ,still the same ,crazy if i put it in s mode its fine
No unheard of. But as I stated previously check underneath for fluid signs.

And re the sort of software you can buy on line (and I honestly don't know)how effective is it is it able to do the task in hand(re this I've not got a clue)but what I will say is that we see people who have updated this that and the other using their lap top only to find they haven't actually done it once we do it issue gone! But as said haven't really a clue re what's out there apart from the odd code reader.

But I'd say drop sump dump fluid change the sump and of course fluid re set all adaptations and start from scratch, historically this for us works(unless there is a mechatronics issue-which is rare on these I have to say)but if you re set adaptations on a box that leaking fluid you'll struggle. On DS mode we've also noticed improvements as such in behaviour only to find in standard D mode you've got issue and when inspected you find a leak!
      12-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #14
gazzcav
Rep

haven't had chance to look underneath it yet but i didn't drive it for 3 days and when io jumped in today and put in reverse it seemed to slip for a few seconds so I'm guessing it could be low on fluid ,do i have to get it on a ramp to check fluid ,also what make of fluid do i need ,i never got a handbook with car when i bought it,if it is leaking what is involved in sorting it ,thanks for replies
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
haven't had chance to look underneath it yet but i didn't drive it for 3 days and when io jumped in today and put in reverse it seemed to slip for a few seconds so I'm guessing it could be low on fluid ,do i have to get it on a ramp to check fluid ,also what make of fluid do i need ,i never got a handbook with car when i bought it,if it is leaking what is involved in sorting it ,thanks for replies
From cold if its doing that the first port of call I'd be making is underneath looking for lak signs. You'll need to have the car in the air for this.

If you look at the 2 sumps below that we changed a little while ago

you'll notice on the plastic fins it looks a little shiny(lost fluid)if you look at the first sump picture where the sump isn't square(where you can see some bolt holes)you'll see the amount of sweating around that area(which is common)you'll also notice ahead of this the pilot plug right next to the jug with the old dirty fluid in it.

If you look at the underside of another sump I took a photo of notice the oil sweating in the same place if you follow me

And thisis what a nice clean sump looks like

And sadly a manual for the car with a problem like this is about as mush use to you as a canoe with a 6ft hole in it in the middle of a desert
      12-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
gazzcav
Rep

thanks for that ,what make of fluid would you recommend and am i best getting sump from dealer
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thanks for that ,what make of fluid would you recommend and am i best getting sump from dealer
You can buy a sump kit(genuine ZF kit)and it's got everything you need now direct from Euro's, go on line and type your registration number in to get your cars details up. I thin part number wise from Euro it might be 50411059K(speak to Sam)AWBimmer I got him the part number for his car last time from memory that part nuimber may cross refrence. I know part number ending in 58K is for a 335i and other petrols.

If you buy on line it's far cheaper than buying over the counter but the kit isn't that easy to locate on the site. But you'll save an easy £150 over BMW supplying the kit, check Shaun's(gaza01's) thred on DIY gearbox as its a good imformative read

Last edited by old grey steve; 12-20-2014 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #18
gazzcav
Rep

thanks steve
Appreciate 0