Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S review

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
jprieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S review

I just hit about 300 miles on my new Goodyear F1 A/S so I thought I would give a quick review. 335i SP (RE050 RFT originals).

Highs:
- A definite reduction in impact harshness from the RFT as could be expected.
- signifigant reduction in tramlining.

Lows:
- small increase in noise, though mostly a subdued white noise that is not intrusive in our well insulated cabin.
- The tire does transmit slightly more contact harshness as a 'grumble'. Very very slight.
- Not nearly as composed in the turns as the tires tend to roll over on themselves pretty quickly.

Of course, I probably still have some more breaking in to do before I reach full effectiveness of the tire. Even though I have cleaned the tires as best as I could, I still have a fair amount of tire lube around the interior rim so there might even still be some slippage. The sidewalls are very stiff and according to the installer ALMOST as stiff as the runflats (carbon fiber sidewall perhaps the reason). The tires are also very blocky in appearance and do not have a rolling edge, not sure if this would effect handling?

I bought these because the RFT were wearing our roads here are not the best. There are a lot of 'ridges' on our interstates that the RFT would skip over during turns. The added treadwear (420) on these should get me to right before the end of the lease in which case I will swap the old RTF back on.

It was between these tires and the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S, dont know if I made the right choice - will see as they break in more.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprieur View Post
I just hit about 300 miles on my new Goodyear F1 A/S so I thought I would give a quick review. 335i SP (RE050 RFT originals).

Highs:

Lows:
- small increase in noise, though mostly a subdued white noise that is not intrusive in our well insulated cabin.
- The tire does transmit slightly more contact harshness as a 'grumble'. Very very slight.
- Not nearly as composed in the turns as the tires tend to roll over on themselves pretty quickly.

Of course, I probably still have some more breaking in to do before I reach full effectiveness of the tire. Even though I have cleaned the tires as best as I could, I still have a fair amount of tire lube around the interior rim so there might even still be some slippage. The sidewalls are very stiff and according to the installer ALMOST as stiff as the runflats (carbon fiber sidewall perhaps the reason). The tires are also very blocky in appearance and do not have a rolling edge, not sure if this would effect handling?

I bought these because the RFT were wearing our roads here are not the best. There are a lot of 'ridges' on our interstates that the RFT would skip over during turns. The added treadwear (420) on these should get me to right before the end of the lease in which case I will swap the old RTF back on.

It was between these tires and the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S, dont know if I made the right choice - will see as they break in more.

You shouldn't be suffering a lack of composure in cornering - have you checked the tire pressures? try 37psi and the front, and 39-40 psi at the rear (assuming 19" wheels)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
jprieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

they are 18". Right now I am running 35F 38R.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

anything is better than Pirelli tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

Why? I had absolutely no problems with pirelli p-zero nero M+S's on my s4 avant. One of the best all-seasons I've driven on.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

I have these tires staggered on 18's. I have no complaints and only praise and they are quite a bit better than Pirelli P-zero M&S in every dept.
      01-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
omg516
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

I have these tires also and they're great. I haven't had any issues with the tires "rolling over" in turns, and they grip well.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

These are great tires. They have very good grip even in cold temperatures. I will get another set as long as nothing negative happens (like excessive road noise). I have about 3k miles on these tires now.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
they are 18". Right now I am running 35F 38R.
Up the pressures to 38F and 41R - see if you prefer the handling then. Ride comfort should be about the same, but with less wallow.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
dnjc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Diesel :)

I have these tires as well and so far, I'm very happy with their performance. They are excellent in the rain and even light snow, I found the tires to be better than expected. I've noticed a bit of road noise but nothing excessive to this point.

The only negative is that I just got a flat in one of my rear tires and had it patched. I may look into replacing the tire just because I'm not sure about whether or not the tire is compromised at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

If you had a combination plug(goes through the hole) and patch(inside) it will outlast the threads.
      01-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #12
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:

Highs:

Lows:

Are you talking about the GoodYear All Season or the new Goodyear Asymmetric tire?

I am holding out for the new Asymmetric tires.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0