E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Do M3 multifunction buttons work on a 335i?

11-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #1
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Do M3 multifunction buttons work on a 335i?

Hi guys,

I have an M3 wheel fitted to my 335i but as I wasn't sure if the M3-specfic multifunction buttons work on a 335i so I'm running the MSport buttons currently.

Can anyone tell me if the M3 buttons will actually work? Obviously they wont activate M Mode lol, but will they perform whatever function they've been assigned in iDrive?

Cheers,
Andy
      11-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

AFAIK, M button does not work on standard E9x.
Also, if you are going to use it with DCT paddles, DCT paddles do not work with normal E9x if you retain M3 multi-function buttons along with M3 steering wheel. So you take out old multi-function button from your E9x and put that with M3 wheel (for DCT paddles to work).
      11-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Also, if you are going to use it with DCT paddles, DCT paddles do not work with normal E9x if you retain M3 multi-function buttons along with M3 steering wheel. So you take out old multi-function button from your E9x and put that with M3 wheel (for DCT paddles to work).
Mak remember we had this issue when u swapped my dash?...the button M buttons will work but if used with paddles the paddles won't work
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Mak remember we had this issue when u swapped my dash?...the button M buttons will work but if used with paddles the paddles won't work
Yes mate.
Paddles did not work till you had to put your multi-buttons in with M3 wheel.
All other buttons work but not 'M' button on M3 steering wheel (as its to bring M menu) and DCT will not work.
      11-14-2014, 03:31 AM   #5
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Andy is this good news for me??????????

Or bad news for me??????????

Steve
      11-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
Andy is this good news for me??????????

Or bad news for me??????????

Steve
Thanks Sam and Shaun for the replies.

Steve - Can't be 100% sure until I can test the buttons with MSport paddles. Looks like I'm going to have to keep the MSport buttons on my wheel though otherwise it'll break my DCT paddles.

Sorry I've not got the pics to you yet but it's been a manic 24hrs, although it looks from your wanted thread that you may have another wheel option so let me know how that goes matey
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
Thanks Sam and Shaun for the replies.

Steve - Can't be 100% sure until I can test the buttons with MSport paddles. Looks like I'm going to have to keep the MSport buttons on my wheel though otherwise it'll break my DCT paddles.

Sorry I've not got the pics to you yet but it's been a manic 24hrs, although it looks from your wanted thread that you may have another wheel option so let me know how that goes matey
Not to worry Andy as i have bought a nice MSport wheel with paddles that has just been re-covered by Jack.

Killed two birds with one stone.

Good luck mate with your wheel issues.

Steve