THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning sport/sport +/sport shift variables

11-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

sport/sport +/sport shift variables

So here comes a couple of questions I have about sport, sport+ and the shifter being manually moved to sport shift. Here is what I have interpreted form reading the posts on the forum. Not sure what is fact or fiction.

When sport is configured as chassis & engine it has exactly the same suspension rate, engine mapping and shift points and sport +. The only difference is that sport + turns off DSC. Why would you want DSC off? Is this so you can break the back end loose for running on the track or drifting?

Now if that is the case when your in either sport chassis & engine or sport + and you put the shifter to the left in the so called sport shift mode....are the shift points different then being in either of the sport modes but in default auto position? If so would it be more aggressive to be in sport + & sport shift mode? If so then to have the full performance potential you would be in sport + & sport shift...unless of course you want to manually shift.

I am just trying to understand all the mode options...to me the manual does not clearly explain it. Maybe someone can break it down in bullet point...has anyone had it truly explained by someone that really knows how it was programed...

Thanks for any feedback
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Sport + doesn't switch off traction control completely. Instead, it activates a mode which has a lower level of intervention ie you can take more liberties before TC cuts in.

Regardless of which mode you are in, if you press and hold TC switch, TC fully off, engine reverts to "comfort" mapping.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
nzw212
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235XI, Maserati, Ducati

Why does it revert to Comfort when Traction Control is defeated? Wouldn't you want it in Sport or Sport+ instead?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I think it makes sense to default to a more linear throttle map (comfort) when pressing on with TC off.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Waldmanboy235
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Could you elaborate on that...... The fact that the throttle map defaults back to comfort when the car is put into DSC OFF is the most annoying part for me. In terms of a racing prospective if the car is in its most raw and pure form (Least amount of computer intervention) you should be able to get the full amount of output from the engine. My old coach always used to tell me your right foot is your traction control lol. Also if your looking at it from a safety prospective isn't that why they make you press the button for X amount of seconds. Still want to hear other peoples prospectives on this design but theres mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

This has been debated a great deal and I don't think there is any consensus. I have noticed that if the car is in sport+ and a short press of the traction control button is done, the display screen shows comfort engine and chassis and it feels like comfort throttle and chassis. If it is in sport+ and a long hold of the traction control button is done (until the DSC off shows on the display), the display screen will show sport engine and chassis mode active. In the latter case with the long hold, the throttle response and chassis feel the same as in sport mode. I could be fooling myself, but there is a fairly significant difference between sport and comfort so I don't think I am.

edit: So I played with this while driving to lunch, and think I was wrong. It seems like the shift points and throttle mapping reverts to comfort mode settings despite what the display screen shows.

Last edited by bernstem; 11-03-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
So here comes a couple of questions I have about sport, sport+ and the shifter being manually moved to sport shift. Here is what I have interpreted form reading the posts on the forum. Not sure what is fact or fiction.

When sport is configured as chassis & engine it has exactly the same suspension rate, engine mapping and shift points and sport +. The only difference is that sport + turns off DSC. Why would you want DSC off? Is this so you can break the back end loose for running on the track or drifting?

Now if that is the case when your in either sport chassis & engine or sport + and you put the shifter to the left in the so called sport shift mode....are the shift points different then being in either of the sport modes but in default auto position? If so would it be more aggressive to be in sport + & sport shift mode? If so then to have the full performance potential you would be in sport + & sport shift...unless of course you want to manually shift.

I am just trying to understand all the mode options...to me the manual does not clearly explain it. Maybe someone can break it down in bullet point...has anyone had it truly explained by someone that really knows how it was programed...

Thanks for any feedback
if you set the drive mode to sport or sport+ (and sport is configured to any setting that includes drivetrain) then putting the shifter to the left has no effect but to downshift 1 gear momentarily ...

so putting your shifter to the left is the same as hiting "sport" or "sport+" in terms of shift points... you don't gain any extra with sport and shifter to the left
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldmanboy235 View Post
Could you elaborate on that...... The fact that the throttle map defaults back to comfort when the car is put into DSC OFF is the most annoying part for me. In terms of a racing prospective if the car is in its most raw and pure form (Least amount of computer intervention) you should be able to get the full amount of output from the engine. My old coach always used to tell me your right foot is your traction control lol. Also if your looking at it from a safety prospective isn't that why they make you press the button for X amount of seconds. Still want to hear other peoples prospectives on this design but theres mine.
Sport throttle mapping is computer enhanced.

Comfort throttle map is much less so and is more linear and much easier to moderate at the track as a result. Sport or sport+ with DTC allows a degree of slip and compliments hair trigger nature of sport throttle mapping when pedalling round a track.

There's no difference in power / torque output between sport and comfort.
Appreciate 0