E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320d m47 MAF air pipe

10-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
kitt1980
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport 2007

320d m47 MAF air pipe

Hi

On installing the new air filter I have noticed oil in the pipe that leads away, after the MAF has oil in it.

Would this have been caused by the air filter being clogged up so badly or do I have an underlying issue somewhere?

I haven't checked the oil breather, would this be a symptom if it was blocked?

Hopefully someone can advise

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Breathers on these cars IMO need to be changed at the same time as an air filter(minimum)when these fail oil is deposited where it isn't ideal, we see turbo pipes sweating oil, the underside of manifolds(swirl flap area)coated in oil all because the breathers not working efficiently.

For the sake of around (£51+VAT) from a BMW dealer(who hardly seem to change them-even though they sell them)it's a vital service item that shouldn't be overlooked.

But on the subject of the oil again do you have another underlying issue? If left too long there can be issues re not changing the breather, thing is on these 320d's they also are sadly prone to turbo failures rather too frequently, we've seen plenty with oil shoved through the inlet pipes through the intercooler and when inspected the bearings failed in the turbo (look for oil inside the housing and end float on the actual shaft itself)

You can start by looking at all the relative pipe work for instance thus will give you some idea of the contamination involved. Changing the breathes a must. If in any doubt post changing the breather get the car checked out, if the turbo has an issue changing it early will save other expense(contaminated CAT, exhaust & inlet cleaning)

If you're car has swirl flaps fitted too get them removed as well and at the same time if oils contaminated the inlet manifold this can be cleared out at the same time.
      10-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve
Breathers on these cars IMO need to be changed at the same time as an air filter(minimum)when these fail oil is deposited where it isn't ideal, we see turbo pipes sweating oil, the underside of manifolds(swirl flap area)coated in oil all because the breathers not working efficiently.

For the sake of around (51+VAT) from a BMW dealer(who hardly seem to change them-even though they sell them)it's a vital service item that shouldn't be overlooked.

But on the subject of the oil again do you have another underlying issue? If left too long there can be issues re not changing the breather, thing is on these 320d's they also are sadly prone to turbo failures rather too frequently, we've seen plenty with oil shoved through the inlet pipes through the intercooler and when inspected the bearings failed in the turbo (look for oil inside the housing and end float on the actual shaft itself)

You can start by looking at all the relative pipe work for instance thus will give you some idea of the contamination involved. Changing the breathes a must. If in any doubt post changing the breather get the car checked out, if the turbo has an issue changing it early will save other expense(contaminated CAT, exhaust & inlet cleaning)

If you're car has swirl flaps fitted too get them removed as well and at the same time if oils contaminated the inlet manifold this can be cleared out at the same time.
Excellent post as always!
Just wondering do you see 330d with clogged breathers?
And is it a manifold off job on. 320d and 330d?
Thanks.
      10-27-2014, 02:07 AM   #4
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Thanks.
I changed mine on my 330d it had 89k on the clock. I changed it to the none loo roll and then back to a loo roll! Don't know which is better.

It's just under the engine covers the breather toward the back on the o/s
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-danGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Thanks.
I changed mine on my 330d it had 89k on the clock. I changed it to the none loo roll and then back to a loo roll! Don't know which is better.

It's just under the engine covers the breather toward the back on the o/s
Cheers Dan.
Added to my list.
      10-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
kwano888
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d & 320d M Sport

Is the oil breather part an easy DIY change. Thinking of doing mine. Its a E90 320d M47N2 engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

i changed it on my mums e39 530d. think they are in similar place on 330d. i would get the cover aswell for it if your changing the breather filter. they do clog up quite often.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

They are an easy diy you just need to remove the scuttle panel and get the engine covers off that all.

I changed mine for the cyclone type with no breather but then read it should have the loo roll type to catch the oil and let it drip back into the crankcase. But if that is correct or not I can't say, so far all appears ok have not checked the intake for a while! It don't breath through the oil filler cap as if its blocked
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Loo roll type was superceeded by the vortex type

My 07 has the revised vortex. I checked it when i bought it at 73k miles and it was pretty immaculate. Didnt warrant a change just gave it a decent clean out

Either its been replaced or it wasn't causing an issue
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:01 AM   #10
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
Loo roll type was superceeded by the vortex type

My 07 has the revised vortex. I checked it when i bought it at 73k miles and it was pretty immaculate. Didnt warrant a change just gave it a decent clean out

Either its been replaced or it wasn't causing an issue
Thats what I read but then read the loo roll type is better but needs replacing more often
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Where would this be loaded on 320d lco anyone have a pic
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
kitt1980
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport 2007

Took advice (as always it was a great response) and changed the breather, very simple job.

I'll be taking it to my local garage soon to get other items mentioned checked out as I feel it is smoking more than usual under acceleration

Thanks again
Appreciate 0