BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Is Overclocking a bad thing?

01-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
chazzz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chrysler 300S

Is Overclocking a bad thing?

I am thinking of buying a new desktop PC with Factory Overclocked Intel Core 2 Extreme processor X6800.

Is Overclocking a bad thing to the processor? It will push the speed from 2.9 something to 3.47 GHz. Will that shorten the life of the processor?

CURRENT - 2018 Chrysler 300S, Crystal Granite Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

How much extra cooling are you putting on it?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
chazzz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chrysler 300S

No idea. Gateway is selling factory overclocked desktop PCs. If the processor went bad due to heat, it should be covered by the warranty.

CURRENT - 2018 Chrysler 300S, Crystal Granite Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Gateway is selling something with an extreme overclocked processor?!?! What is the world coming to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

if its overclocked from factory your fine, thats where the warranty kicks in. if you wanted to push it further you would need the extra cooling to support.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
KanosWRX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW 335i / 1994 Miata R

I have a Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz ov to 3.0 ghz with the stock intel fan. It's definitely possible and quite safe and easy considering you don't go to far. Usually 200-500 extra mhz is attainable and very reliable. Theoretically it will shorten the life span, from maybe 50 years to 40. Seriously you won't have the computer long enough for that to matter. Just go up in steps and read what other people are able to get on other computer forums and online sites. Usually you can find someone who has the same setup and find out what you should be able to get.
      01-10-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

When poeple bring up the topic of over clocking and it's draw backs I just remember alittle saying, "The bulb that shines twice as bright, only shines half as long." Personally, I've never been a fan of overclocking. Is the extra bit that you get from it really going to significantly increase your computing experience? I doubt it. Today's average computers are coming with quad core CPUs anyways, and when not every application even uses multi-threading technology (no multi-threading means it will only run off 1 core). Its one of those "bragging rights" things and it stemmed from people that built their own systems a few years ago and boasted on how they were able to make their system run stably while overclocked. I really see no reason for the factories to overclock the hardware, but if they are doing it and still covering it in warranty more power to em.

I just think that if the chip is able to go from a 2.4 to a overclocked 3.0... then why the hell did the original manufacturer call it only a 2.4? There has to be a reason, and that reason will be your drawback from overclocking.
      01-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
KanosWRX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I just think that if the chip is able to go from a 2.4 to a overclocked 3.0... then why the hell did the original manufacturer call it only a 2.4? There has to be a reason, and that reason will be your drawback from overclocking.
The fact you are missing is a chip manufacturer doesn't design chips to run just at 2.4ghz or 2.8ghz or 3.0ghz. They design one chip and down clock them. It would be impossible for them to make a specific chip run at those incremental speeds. They usually design them with a certain speed in mind for that production run. That's why you will usually see certain processors are good to overclock to only certain speeds with normal cooling. Because they are actually reaching the manufacturers designed speed limits. In all my years of overclocking computers I have never had a processor die or known anyone to have a processor die. I gave one of my really old machines to my dad and its not had an issue in over 8 years. So unless you plan on keeping your machine for 20+ years you will Not have any issues overclocking as long as you don't do anything extreme.

And yes the results are noticeably, mainly in games. Word and Excel might open a little quicker but if that's all you run your probably not the type that would care about overclocking to begin with.
      01-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
http://www.tomshardware.com/us/

that site is awesome for reading up about new hardware as well as some good info on overclocking. If you are going to overclock, make sure you have very good cooling and make sure you keep an eye on the core temperature. Slight overclocking is fine, but the more you overclock the more likely you are to run into hardware problems and stability of the chip
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

You're wasting your money buying an overclocked gateway, simple as that.
      01-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
KanosWRX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
You're wasting your money buying an overclocked gateway, simple as that.
That's true, if you know enough about computers to overclock them your better off building the computer yourself. I have built my last 4 computers and its much cheaper and better I feel. But for my parents I have bought them dells the last two times, for what they needs its much easier.
      01-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
That's true, if you know enough about computers to overclock them your better off building the computer yourself. I have built my last 4 computers and its much cheaper and better I feel. But for my parents I have bought them dells the last two times, for what they needs its much easier.
Well, if you don't know enough to overclock, you're never going to be using the power of an OCed X6800 in the first place.

Not to mention no one in their right mind would buy an X series anyway, 999 when the 300$ chip right below it will reach the same speeds. X series chips are for people going for world records who need the unlocked multiplier. Something gateway is not doing for you.
      01-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94' corolla

as long as the temperature remains somewhat close to factory specs.....you should have no worries......most computer gurus overclock...it's simple and safe.....temperature, not durability, is of importance
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Never over clocked myself, no need really. I don't play games.

Since it is new, why not just get a faster CPU in the first place?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #15
mdmaxxx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i AW

overclock it....its easy and safe.

www.anandtech.com
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzz View Post
I am thinking of buying a new desktop PC with Factory Overclocked Intel Core 2 Extreme processor X6800.

Is Overclocking a bad thing to the processor? It will push the speed from 2.9 something to 3.47 GHz. Will that shorten the life of the processor?
In the end, you do shorten the life since heat kills in the electronics world. But you can make up for it with aftermarket cooling solutions, such as water or good ole air cooling with a big heatsink.

If you're not going for e-penis records, I wouldn't get the X. For the price, I got a Q6600 GO (stock is 2.4) and it's comfortably sitting at 3.6 24/7 (prime dual stable for 12 hours). I had it higher (3.9), but I wasn't comfortable with the temps I had since I'm only on air cooling with a Thermalright Ultra 120X. I don't know if the Q6600 is still the chip of the moment, but it was 6 months ago when I built the rig.

If you're comfortable building your own system, you'll save money and can build it to your specs. Gateway wouldn't even be on the list of manufacturers I would consider (personally). Good luck either way.
      02-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #17
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
There's certainly harm done to the CPU but like Sanford said, with proper cooling, the heat is very manageable. I personally prefer Zalman's cooling solutions. I built my current system almost 3 years ago, so I'm pretty much outdated on the hardware scene, but I can attest that my Zalman copper flower worked very well and allowed me to safely overclock my Athlon XP CPU.

Go to newegg.com to shop for the components that you like and build it yourself. It might not save you cash, but you're in control of what to put in your system and it's loads of fun building your own computer.
      02-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #18
unagi1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 WRX, 2014 C63 507, 91 Mr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Never over clocked myself, no need really. I don't play games.

Since it is new, why not just get a faster CPU in the first place?
Because you save money by getting a cheaper CPU, and by using a $50 CPU cooler like the Tuniq Tower you are running it at stocks speeds for a CPU that costs at least twice as much. As stated, if you run the lowest stable voltage possible and handle cooling, you are getting all the benefits of a more powerful CPU without any of the drawbacks. Add some higher speed memory to the mix and you've got a great system.

And, yes, it makes a difference...starting Vista, starting Photoshop, ripping DVDs, etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 02:02 AM   #19
ITguy
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Like someone said above, overclocking will reduce the life of your processor, but I can guarantee you that you will be buying a new computer way before that ever happens (if done right of course).

If you provide sufficient cooling and you have a pretty solid processor, overclocking (within a reasonable amount) is nothing to be afraid of.

HOWEVER, I don't know if buying an OEM overclocked Gateway is such a great idea. Now-a-days you can probably get a better processor and build yourself something much nicer for the same price or less. Then, overclock at your discretion and give it some good cooling. I also think it's important to get yourself a nice, well designed case.

Or, just spend a few extra bucks and buy a faster processor to start with
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #20
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Overclocking is so so so 90's. It was very popular back in the 90's because computers MHZ evolved so slowly and prices of CPU and memory was oh so expensive. Now, CPU speeds go up by the hundreds within months. Everyone owns a computer and the prices have gone down BIG TIME! Back then, you'll have to wait years to have a 33MHZ to go to 66MHZ. Unless you want to screw up your CPU and have your programs crash unexpectingly, avoid overclocking.

Does anyone here remember the days when 1 MEG of RAM cost 50 bux? I still remember when original DOOM game required 4 MEGS of RAM min. to run the game and a 386 CPU which was insanely slow when compare to today's standards but the coding of the game was, in my opinion, as masterpiece!!!! 4 megs of RAM with a 386 CPU is slower than most of today's cell phones but none of the cell phone's games are advanced as the original DOOM game.

I just laugh when games of today require like half a gig of memory to run. Programmers/Coders of yesterday are WAY WAY WAY more talented.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 01:07 AM   #21
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
Overclocking is so so so 90's. It was very popular back in the 90's because computers MHZ evolved so slowly and prices of CPU and memory was oh so expensive. Now, CPU speeds go up by the hundreds within months. Everyone owns a computer and the prices have gone down BIG TIME! Back then, you'll have to wait years to have a 33MHZ to go to 66MHZ. Unless you want to screw up your CPU and have your programs crash unexpectingly, avoid overclocking.

Does anyone here remember the days when 1 MEG of RAM cost 50 bux? I still remember when original DOOM game required 4 MEGS of RAM min. to run the game and a 386 CPU which was insanely slow when compare to today's standards but the coding of the game was, in my opinion, as masterpiece!!!! 4 megs of RAM with a 386 CPU is slower than most of today's cell phones but none of the cell phone's games are advanced as the original DOOM game.

I just laugh when games of today require like half a gig of memory to run. Programmers/Coders of yesterday are WAY WAY WAY more talented.
The amount of fail in this post is difficult to quantify in mere words, so I'll use a picture instead. Post something in defense of your post and maybe I'll bother to take the time to counter your statements, but it would be better for all of us if you just accept failure and we get on with the thread.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 01:13 AM   #22
ModMyVi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Stock TiAg E90

its not worth it.

but its FUN!!!
Appreciate 0