F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > A treat from BMW
proTUNING Freaks

10-19-2014, 04:36 AM   #1
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

A treat from BMW

Thanks to the M Sport breaks unhappy-time, my dealer was able to get BMW UK to provide me with a courtesy vehicle in the interim of 6 weeks or so.

They've provided a 520d M Sport Tourer.

It doesn't have much in way of toys - no HK rig, dancing lights or bigger wheels/adaptive suspension. But it's kitted out in leather seats and is just a few months old.

I've only had chance to take it for night time drive and a trip to work. It's longer than a parking space and seems to have bonnet that just goes on for half a car length.

Smooth as you like and sublime auto gearbox. I've not really revved it, and it doesn't seem blessed the bottom end grunt of my Mini, and as you might imagine it rolls around corners far more than Mini ever has.

The interior's climate control setup is a new thing to me, with electric seats, which all seems quite luxurious from where I've been.

Taking Yogi for a trip to the park this morning, which is definitely what I'll do with my 330.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Huge car!

Huge dog!

Like the dog!

Don't like the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Literally a limousine
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
Xcop5089
Rep
Drives: X5 3.0D Sports Auto

I had a similar experience in 2002, when my estimated 10 month wait for a new X5 slipped further behind! I told my dealer (Heathrow BMW) that I had a buyer for my LandRover and as a result, would be without a car for 7 weeks. The salesman, who lived nearby was really helpful and as my buyer reversed off my drive in the LandRover, an almost new 330i Touring was delivered, fully insured for my use. I had 7 weeks of free motoring as every time it needed fuel (quite often at around 20mpg) I would ring the salesman and he would take it to the petrol station and fill it up on their agency card. Great service!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Great stuff by the dealership in providing you with a tourer.

The 5 tourer is definitely a large car.

We found the 520 tourer a little under powered.

Big dog, wish mine would sit still like that lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #6
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Nice touch from BMW.

That thing is a land yacht!
      10-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #7
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It does feel like you're steering a boat and I've not got a feel for where the steering is going accurately take it. You drive past parked cars and wonder if you're gonna clip them.
I like the remote which opens either the boot or just the back window. And there's a decent navigation - it must be pro Nav, as at uses the full screen. My son spent a moment playing with the buttons and got his phone to make a call with its bluetooth.
I'm sorted. I can wait for my car, which the dealer still doesn't have a chassis number for, so I can't check the Vin app.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

I've gone from an E91 tourer to an F11 520D pretty much identical to the car you've got bar the white paint. As you say they're a big car and even after driving around for a few weeks I still can't fully judge the front end, not planning to go anywhere near multi storey carparks with it.

All told whilst it has a lot of plus points I'm still in two minds about whether or not I've done the right thing. Thinking that an f31 may have been a better choice for everyday driving.

Enjoy it, lovely car and all things considered pretty quick for a big 2ltr diesel.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consett Mag View Post
It does feel like you're steering a boat and I've not got a feel for where the steering is going accurately take it. You drive past parked cars and wonder if you're gonna clip them.
I like the remote which opens either the boot or just the back window. And there's a decent navigation - it must be pro Nav, as at uses the full screen. My son spent a moment playing with the buttons and got his phone to make a call with its bluetooth.
I'm sorted. I can wait for my car, which the dealer still doesn't have a chassis number for, so I can't check the Vin app.
CM

Pleased you're getting some good news. Delivery times are puke, football is even worse. What did my old mukka Blair sing " Things can only get better".

Keep smiling.

PS I've just this minute made my 335 lighter by taking off the tax disc so hoping for performance increase!

TT

Last edited by Tom Tallon; 10-19-2014 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
I've gone from an E91 tourer to an F11 520D pretty much identical to the car you've got bar the white paint. As you say they're a big car and even after driving around for a few weeks I still can't fully judge the front end, not planning to go anywhere near multi storey carparks with it.

All told whilst it has a lot of plus points I'm still in two minds about whether or not I've done the right thing. Thinking that an f31 may have been a better choice for everyday driving.

Enjoy it, lovely car and all things considered pretty quick for a big 2ltr diesel.
I changed from an E91 to the F11, albeit 330d to 535i. No regrets here, although I agree it is a big vehicle. One thing that was on my options list were the camera systems, do find they help as 'extra eyes' with the parking.

Adaptive Drive was essential to shrink the car and enhance the driving feel, helps with the agility of the "ship".

After over 2-years with the F11 wouldn't choose to opt for the F31, love the drive and more luxurious environment of the 5-series.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

Pete, my regrets aren't too do with performance, OK the 520D is no rocketship but it's plenty fast enough for about 95% of what I do. The ride, comfort, refinement and general feel of the car are so much better too and so is the economy. If anything it's just the size that's got me thinking.

I didn't realise just how big it was until I started having to park the thing. I've always been careful where I park my cars but because of the sheer size alone I often struggle to find a space big enough to leave enough space on either side to minimise the chance of parking dings.

Would love a 530D or 535D but couldn't justify the extra costs associated with buying and running one.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

We should do caption competitions. Yogi is definitely saying "I'm sat in bloody 5 series, I want to get out and all you can do is take photos".

I had a white 520d for a week whilst waiting for delivery of my car last December. That was a saloon and only fitted into the garage with exactly 25mm to spare. Every night I'd have to call one of the kids out to guide me in. Parking at Tesco was no better, just felt huge. (Although I was coming from a 1 series coupe)

Loved it's luxuriousness etc, but couldn't live with it.
      10-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
We should do caption competitions. Yogi is definitely saying "I'm sat in bloody 5 series, I want to get out and all you can do is take photos".

I had a white 520d for a week whilst waiting for delivery of my car last December. That was a saloon and only fitted into the garage with exactly 25mm to spare. Every night I'd have to call one of the kids out to guide me in. Parking at Tesco was no better, just felt huge. (Although I was coming from a 1 series coupe)

Loved it's luxuriousness etc, but couldn't live with it.

He is thinking.

' if you think the neighbours thought you were sad earlier - imagine what they think now taking pictures of me sitting in the car'

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
He is thinking.

' if you think the neighbours thought you were sad earlier - imagine what they think now taking pictures of me sitting in the car'

Thank you! But they've seen it all before - a six week old puppy in the Mini ...

But we had a neighbour standing in the middle of the road trying to get a good gander at my new wheels, and another one, who never speaks to anybody, wanting the full lowdown on what it's like.

They wouldn't have came over to gawp at the car with Yogi roaming loose on the drive mind ...
Attached Images

Last edited by Consett Mag; 10-20-2014 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #15
Flyboy-fil
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d B47

I've just recently taken delivery of an F11, trading down from an XC90....yet the F11 is actually longer!

That said, compared to the XC90 it's very nimble (relatively obviously), much more maneuverable, and easier to park.
Appreciate 0