E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is my oil filter housing gasket leaking?

10-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Is my oil filter housing gasket leaking?

Looks like I have a oil filter housing leak but I think my valve cover gasket is leaking also or maybe somewhere in the Eccentric shaft sensor.

Here are some pictures I took. I'm planning to get the filter changed out but it looks like there's should oil leak around valve cover also. What you guys think?

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Yes and you should get them all fixed.

There are DIY's for all of those available in these forums. That being said I was able to get mine done under CPO thankfully.

Also, don't forget to clean up those areas after or while you fix them
      10-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Yes, and yes. So is your oil pan

Seriously, an '07 will have all three of those leaks if not already addressed.
      10-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

so the oil filter housing gasket and valve cover gasket?

I did some research and I might have to possible replace the valve cover also if it's split or MIGHT later on. Not sure if I can re-use the bolts or not. I did replace the spark plugs last year but I don't recall the color of the valve cover bolts.

Anyways thanks for confirmation guys. Just wanted to double check and make sure.

I'll probably get the oil cleaned up after I change the gaskets. I'm just thinking of bring it to a detailer to get my engine cleaned. I'm not really sure or confident in cleaning the oil off without harming the engine when the valve cover off.

I usually do my own oil change and brakes but I think I'm just going to get a shop or prostock3 to do it since I'm not confident working on the internal part of the engine. I've done spark plugs, serpentine belt, pulleys, tensioner, trans fluid, diff fluid but for some reason I always weary of touch any sensors or internal part of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
thomas88162
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Affirmative. Every gasket imaginable is! Get ready for some fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
snayko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006

I had similar issue and it was only vcg, so if your oil filter housing is in oil, not always mean it has a leak also. It's kind of unrelated jobs: vcg and oil filter housing. First do vcg and clean the engine, then you will know if filter housing leaking as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

The sneaky thing about the oil filter houing gasket is that it could be leaking internally. That is, between the oil and coolant passages.

I had mine done around 60k miles without it showing any leaks...when the tech opened it up, he found the internal passages on the verge of cross contaminating.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Well I'm just going to order the oil filter housing gasket and the valve cover gasket. Looks like I have metal valve cover bolts so I don't have to replace them.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
yeah the vcg bolts on an '07 should be re-useable.

for the oil filter housing gasket, it's a manageable DIY and there's a good one on the forum. Read the comments as some people ran into issues not experienced by the DIY OP. There are 3 star bolts to break, two of them are somewhat difficult to get to, and if you use a hex wrench there is a risk of stripping. I bought a star ratchet to fit the bolts after stripping the head of one of them. Fortunately the star ratchet provided enough bite to get it out. Otherwise, it's a pretty cheap DIY.

You might do the DIY on the ofh first, clean everything up around the valve cover and then see if you valve cover gets messed up again. It would be a shame to do the VCG if the OFH is the cause of the grime.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

I was planning to just get it done at a local shop since it was only $100. I went through that DIY thread and it seems like members were having problems and I'm already not confident enough on doing that. I'll order the parts and see later on.

I was planning to the the oil filter housing gasket first but I think I'll just order both parts when I'm in the US since they aren't too expensive

Last edited by Zero_09; 10-19-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Check the valve cover for hairline cracks too. Mine had one and so my leak continued after my VCG was done.
      10-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

If it were me, and I were replacing the VCG, I'd replace the VC at the same time. They are prone to hairline cracks over time. It's a job you don't want to do twice. The new VC will come with all new bolts, a new gasket and a new PCV - all for around $350 at GETBMWPARTS. Also, while you're at it, replace the PCV vent hose for around $25.
      10-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
yeah the vcg bolts on an '07 should be re-useable.

for the oil filter housing gasket, it's a manageable DIY and there's a good one on the forum. Read the comments as some people ran into issues not experienced by the DIY OP. There are 3 star bolts to break, two of them are somewhat difficult to get to, and if you use a hex wrench there is a risk of stripping. I bought a star ratchet to fit the bolts after stripping the head of one of them. Fortunately the star ratchet provided enough bite to get it out. Otherwise, it's a pretty cheap DIY.

You might do the DIY on the ofh first, clean everything up around the valve cover and then see if you valve cover gets messed up again. It would be a shame to do the VCG if the OFH is the cause of the grime.
This to the coma and dots.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
fugmaglottu
Rep
Drives: bmw

They are prone to hairline cracks over time.
      10-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #15
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

no idea if your car will have the brittle vent hose going to the valve cover from the oil separator, but you may want to order one of those too since it will likely crack.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #16
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

do you guys happen to know what the part # for the PCV vent hose for 07 328i E90?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #17
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Just came back from the coin wash and power wash the engine bay.
Used ZEP heavy duty citrus degreaser, Optimum power clean 3:1, and Gunk engine degreaser and got most of the oil off.

I was a bit weary spraying the degreasers in front since they belt was sitting right there. Would if be harmful if some of the oil I cleaned off get on the serpentine belt? Do you guys usually cover the belt also when spraying done the engine to clean up oil leaks?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #18
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Do oil gasket, valve cover gasket, and while in there do spark plugs and coil replacement!
      10-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #19
Barrique_Red
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Today we worked to remove the valve cover gasket on our 2006 325xi (N52 engine). A month or so ago, I had the water pump fail, and so decided to replace that and the thermostat. While in there doing the WP/TS, I noticed oil seepage all around the passenger (right) side of engine. I figured that must be where the oil has been going! It seems that every 6 months or so I get the oil low indicator.

After reading on the forums here and there, it seemed to me what I had was a leaking Valve Cover Gasket. So, I ordered up the new gaskets and screws (mine is the model with the aluminum screws and cover - no plastic or steel).

Today we spent a couple hours getting to the point where the valve cover is ready to have its bolts loosened. I work my way from the front left of the cover, to the front right. The fifth screw I am going to loosen (front-most on the passenger (right) side) is just sitting there, broken!!! I pick it up and sure enough it's busted in half! And, as I look, the oil seepage is coming from the area around this particular bolt! FML! Fortunately, I was able to use an awl to reach into the bolt hole and spin the busted tail piece out with little or no effort, no easy-out or drilling necessary WHEW!!

At this point, we decide to go ahead and finish the job of replacing the valve cover gasket and other items - a couple more gaskets, new spark plugs. We will continue tomorrow, putting it all back together.

I originally had a dealer change my oil, but have been doing it myself lately. And I think I recall the oil light coming on after about 6-12 months in the past. So I think, but can't be sure, this may have been leaking from the time I bought it (which was just a few months out of warranty). It is possible this is why the guy sold it to me. He was anal-retentive about oil leaks, and I suspect he might have wanted to get rid of it rather than pay dealer prices to have the issue repaired. I'll never know.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #20
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
Do oil gasket, valve cover gasket, and while in there do spark plugs and coil replacement!
coil? is that a maintenance item? I've done my spark plugs already. I'm going to keep an eye out for oil leaks until I get my oil gasket to see where it starts from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrique_Red View Post
Today we worked to remove the valve cover gasket on our 2006 325xi (N52 engine). A month or so ago, I had the water pump fail, and so decided to replace that and the thermostat. While in there doing the WP/TS, I noticed oil seepage all around the passenger (right) side of engine. I figured that must be where the oil has been going! It seems that every 6 months or so I get the oil low indicator.

After reading on the forums here and there, it seemed to me what I had was a leaking Valve Cover Gasket. So, I ordered up the new gaskets and screws (mine is the model with the aluminum screws and cover - no plastic or steel).

Today we spent a couple hours getting to the point where the valve cover is ready to have its bolts loosened. I work my way from the front left of the cover, to the front right. The fifth screw I am going to loosen (front-most on the passenger (right) side) is just sitting there, broken!!! I pick it up and sure enough it's busted in half! And, as I look, the oil seepage is coming from the area around this particular bolt! FML! Fortunately, I was able to use an awl to reach into the bolt hole and spin the busted tail piece out with little or no effort, no easy-out or drilling necessary WHEW!!

At this point, we decide to go ahead and finish the job of replacing the valve cover gasket and other items - a couple more gaskets, new spark plugs. We will continue tomorrow, putting it all back together.

I originally had a dealer change my oil, but have been doing it myself lately. And I think I recall the oil light coming on after about 6-12 months in the past. So I think, but can't be sure, this may have been leaking from the time I bought it (which was just a few months out of warranty). It is possible this is why the guy sold it to me. He was anal-retentive about oil leaks, and I suspect he might have wanted to get rid of it rather than pay dealer prices to have the issue repaired. I'll never know.
I know the feeling. Just last summer I did my tensioner, serpentine belt and idler pulley and while replacing everything and put the tensioner bolt I snapped it right in half. Didn't realize until after the fact that it's a tensioner bolt and you won't get it snugged tight all the other bolts. I thought I would have to extract it out but it came out pretty easy.

There has been two times I've had to top up the oil with a 1L bottle in the past two years. It seems to happen randomly though because I check the oil level pretty often since there's no dip stick it's pretty easy.

Last edited by Zero_09; 10-22-2014 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #21
Barrique_Red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know the feeling. Just last summer I did my tensioner, serpentine belt and idler pulley and while replacing everything and put the tensioner bolt I snapped it right in half.
Yes, but in my case, the bolt had already been broken for years. I was pointing out that not all leaky valve cover gaskets are due solely to the gasket. This one (mine) was due to a broken bolt. I assumed I had a leaky gasket, and if I had paid closer attention to the leaking, I may have caught it early enough to simply replace the broken bolt and eliminate the leak. After all, the broken piece came out with no effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
coil? is that a maintenance item? I've done my spark plugs already.
On our previous vehicle, a '99 Acura, the ignition coils started dying at just about 100,000 miles. We replaced the first one, but then sold the vehicle. My buddy who bought it mentioned he had a couple more fail in the first year he owned it.

Now I am thinking I should replace my coils, although getting to them isn't near as much work as getting the valve cover itself off!!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #22
Barrique_Red
Private
United_States
Rep

I decided to wait on the ignition coils. This was mostly due to the fact that two of the nearby dealers did not have the parts in stock. Well, one of the dealers had four units, I need six if I'm going to do them all. So, I figured, if I have to wait for the parts, I may as well wait until one goes bad and then order the parts from Tischer. So far, Tischer is the best price, including shipping.
Appreciate 0