THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum m235 test drive and questions

09-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
twssas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi, 2018 X5, 2014 Z4

m235 test drive and questions

Looking to replace wife's 535 sport in the sometime future, and have been doing some test drives and studying various options.....

We drove a 435 sport line, and neither my wife or I was crazy about the steering regardless if you had it in comfort, or sport mode. It was a 2014, but was the only coupe dealer had on the lot to drive at the time.

Then we drove an M4 with DCT .......terrific car, and a "terrific" price, but what fun.....and wife loved it as well.....she said she would consider.

Dealer just got a m235 in over the weekend, they did the PDI, and we were the first to drive it this morning.....Steering wheel felt just as good as the M4. Steering was superior to the 435 we drove......I dont know if I could tell if the steering tightened up as we changed from econo mode, to comfort to sport to sport+, but you could certainly feel the change in the drivetrain between comfort and sport. No question about power and torque, especially in sport mode.

Driving at 75-80 on the interstate, the m235 tracked well, if you let go of the steering (a real pet peeve of mine), but the front end seemed to be a little "light" to me. Found myself making very slight corrections in steering and was wondering if it had to do with the fact they equiped this car with all seasons instead of the Michelin summer performance tires,(but again it tracks straight if I let go of the wheel) or if I was just not used to the steering. Wife's 535 doesnt seem to do that.....but anyway she said it didnt bother her.....

The M235 had the upgraded sound system...I started to play with the adustments to the sound, but didnt really accomplish much...and would say it just sounds ok...nothing really great at all.

Manual extensions on the seat (as opposed to her current car and the M4 have no extensions at all), and no audible "beeps" when you lock and unlock doors. No options offered for top down camera (which I love on my X5) , or blind spot detection (which she wants) Trunk is plenty big enough, and seating ergonomics and being able to see out of the car is very good. Grey accented sport wheels and grey exhast tips.

I guess when you look at what it would be used for....this is plenty car for her (but I am tempted for the m4....but with 25K difference in price, probably not a wise move) I guess one big question I do have....will the Michelin performance tires, make a difference in the driving/handling characteristics of this vehicle?

She likes the car...and we both fit in it well...I am 6'...plenty of head room....she is quite petite..and the car fits her well......and she seems to like it........decisions, decisons...

For those of you who have the car....any other comments
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

yes, the PSS summer tires make a difference when driven hard in warm weather... but they do need to warmed up esp on cold mornings.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
Looking to replace wife's 535 sport in the sometime future, and have been doing some test drives and studying various options.....

We drove a 435 sport line, and neither my wife or I was crazy about the steering regardless if you had it in comfort, or sport mode. It was a 2014, but was the only coupe dealer had on the lot to drive at the time.

Then we drove an M4 with DCT .......terrific car, and a "terrific" price, but what fun.....and wife loved it as well.....she said she would consider.

Dealer just got a m235 in over the weekend, they did the PDI, and we were the first to drive it this morning.....Steering wheel felt just as good as the M4. Steering was superior to the 435 we drove......I dont know if I could tell if the steering tightened up as we changed from econo mode, to comfort to sport to sport+, but you could certainly feel the change in the drivetrain between comfort and sport. No question about power and torque, especially in sport mode.

Driving at 75-80 on the interstate, the m235 tracked well, if you let go of the steering (a real pet peeve of mine), but the front end seemed to be a little "light" to me. Found myself making very slight corrections in steering and was wondering if it had to do with the fact they equiped this car with all seasons instead of the Michelin summer performance tires,(but again it tracks straight if I let go of the wheel) or if I was just not used to the steering. Wife's 535 doesnt seem to do that.....but anyway she said it didnt bother her.....

The M235 had the upgraded sound system...I started to play with the adustments to the sound, but didnt really accomplish much...and would say it just sounds ok...nothing really great at all.

Manual extensions on the seat (as opposed to her current car and the M4 have no extensions at all), and no audible "beeps" when you lock and unlock doors. No options offered for top down camera (which I love on my X5) , or blind spot detection (which she wants) Trunk is plenty big enough, and seating ergonomics and being able to see out of the car is very good. Grey accented sport wheels and grey exhast tips.

I guess when you look at what it would be used for....this is plenty car for her (but I am tempted for the m4....but with 25K difference in price, probably not a wise move) I guess one big question I do have....will the Michelin performance tires, make a difference in the driving/handling characteristics of this vehicle?

She likes the car...and we both fit in it well...I am 6'...plenty of head room....she is quite petite..and the car fits her well......and she seems to like it........decisions, decisons...

For those of you who have the car....any other comments
Do the math - Happy wife, Happy life.
      09-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Do the math - Happy wife, Happy life.
Win.
      09-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
and no audible "beeps" when you lock and unlock doors.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you get audible beeps if you order the factory alarm (i.e., $400 option; not too bad).
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

The beeps can also be turned off via iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
M235 is a comfy fun little car but the m4 is a more luxurious beast...depends what you're looking for if money is not a concern since m4 is alot more money
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Yea if money is no option, get the M4 and I'm sure you won't mind borrowing it from time to time. If saving 25k is something that is also important to you then the m235 is a phenomenal car for its price range and has more than enough power for the street. If you load it up it can be pretty damn luxurious as well. As far as the tires, YES the PSS make a huge difference, which is part of the reason 235s w/ PSS are governed at 155, while those w/ AS tires top out at 130. Well I'm biased I guess, but go for the 235. If the top speed does not bother you then save your money and eliminate the m4.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0