E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Help!! Different loud noise from dash

09-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
nuclearbeef
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Help!! Different loud noise from dash

While doing some spirited driving last week over some not-so-smooth city streets, the d started making a new noise that is just about to make me loose my mind.

Sounds like a CD or DVD rattling somewhere in the center of the dash. Rattles each time I hit the smallest bump. I cannot replicate it while sitting still, no matter how hard I whang on the dash.

Almost sounds like it's coming from the speaker grill up on the dash by the defrost vents. (I don't have nav.)

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
nuclearbeef
Private
Rep

Nah, not chirping.
Sound is still there with radio and HVAC off.
Only rattles when I hit a bump.
Sounds almost exactly like there is a CD sitting on the dash.

Anyone know how to get the vent/speaker grille on the top middle of the dash off?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
nuclearbeef
Private
Rep

UPDATE:

Oh, joy!!!
Noise is fixed!

After tearing apart most of my dash and failing to locate or stop the rattle, I went back to the fount of all knowledge (google) and found a mention of an EU e9x that fixed a similar sounding rattle when he found his strut braces loose at the firewall.

This got me thinking that the dealer probably had the strut braces off when they did CBU cleaning a couple months ago, and perhaps the bolts weren't torqued enough and worked loose.

Opened hood and found the passenger strut tower brace bolt less than finger tight. This was the bolt on the opposite end of the brace from the firewall. It was backed out about half way. Tightened it up, and no more rattles!

The car didn't rattle for some weeks after I got it back, so the bolt was snugged up by the dealer, at least.
Appreciate 0