E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Suspension & ECU help

09-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2006 Nissan Titan SE  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
Suspension & ECU help

I am upgrading the suspension on my non-sport 335d.

The list includes:

Eibach pro-kit
Koni yellows front & rear
Font Upper & Lower M3 control arms
Rear Upper & Lower M3 control arms
Rear M3 subframe bushings
Front M3 sway bar
Rear M3 E93 sway bar.

I plan on doing the installation all at once, but have a question about the bump stops. I was able to get my hands on a pair of E36 M3 bump stops for the front but the E85 Z4 for the rears are on back order. Does anyone have an alternative recommendation?

Also, planning on doing the ECU flash while the car is in the shop. Thinking about doing the Renntech flash. Anybody have any experience with this company or recommend anyone else.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

There a few guys that did something similar i beleive one is greekboy
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
There a few guys that did something similar i beleive one is greekboy

I'm surprised you didn't mention your experiences on RennTech. You seem to be their unofficial (Official?) sponsor, lol.

If someone can prove me wrong, go ahead, but I don't think you need alternative bump stops for this. I had the Eibach sport springs (2" drop) and ran into no issues.
      09-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Lol Wrecker I hv done my share of upgrades for suspension myself RENNtech is just for performance. I do concur w the double bump stops for the rear
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #5
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335d

PR has been happy with his renntech experience. There have been some doubts however on tune as of late on EGR functions and over fueling.

Watch the forum for data on renntech tune data which PR has graciously offered to gather.

If you live in a state with OBD testing for emissions no solution currently exists to my knowledge yet.

Greek and torque addict have another tune which is getting fine tuned from what I hear.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

gottabe im going to get the obd bletooth today so i can bring info today for all of u sorry guys im writting left hand right hand has a robotic brace cause of bad ulnar nerve damage
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335d

It is great for us consumers when there is competition and validation on who is doing what. I am about a year out before I get my tune and trying to get educated as to what my best options are.

Btw. Thanks PR
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

No problemo amigo you're being smart about this way. One reason I went RENNtech(Ive being a customer for 10 yrs ) and decided to go w Jess dpipe cause and i'll admit was somewhat disillusioned with Ecotune and Stan and the sell of pipe alone w tune pkg. but Im over that and want him to resolve the issues amongst those who have purchased their product.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC335d View Post

The list includes:

Eibach pro-kit
Front M3 sway bar
Rear M3 E93 sway bar.

I plan on doing the installation all at once, but have a question about the bump stops. I was able to get my hands on a pair of E36 M3 bump stops for the front but the E85 Z4 for the rears are on back order. Does anyone have an alternative recommendation?

Also, planning on doing the ECU flash while the car is in the shop. Thinking about doing the Renntech flash. Anybody have any experience with this company or recommend anyone else.

Thanks.
Go over to the 'fest. A member over there named Calwaterboy wrote one hell of a DIY and he even sources his work to another guy's DIY thread too. Anyway, Cal did this stuff on an E93. He explains how there is a sensor on the E9X rear control arm that has to be changed or adjusted (i forget). I'm not at the point of doing suspension but the guy knows that stuff well.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The list includes:

Eibach pro-kit
Front M3 sway bar
Rear M3 E93 sway bar.

Thanks.
You're close enough in price, why not get the OEM BMW Performance suspension for your D, and then add the M3 stuff while you're at it? I've never ridden in a car that handled so great yet felt so refined as mine

This is my third 335 E90, and I've tried many popular suspension choices, not K yellows with pro-kit, but I had pro-kit with stock struts for about three weeks at one point.

You can't go wrong with OEM, which affords you a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. And it was designed specifically for your car. Once you do the RSB, and front M3 changes, it really ties it all together unbelievably well. With the sway bars installed you'll be tip-top. I'm not saying its the comfiest suspension in the world, but it is the most refined while retaining that performance factor you're after. Definitely a highly trackable car, arguably more so than what you're going for.

Good luck either way.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
Thanks for all the help.

BB_cuda: I believe I got the M3 headlight sensor rod in the TRW kit that I bought.

austinla335d: Too late for the OEM, I have already bought all the parts a while ago, they are sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.

I have decided to go with the RennTech tune along with the Wagner IC. Has anybody had any experience with any aftermarket exhausts for this car, the only one I can find is the Eisenmann. Any other performance mod suggestions besides LSD? Car only has 30,000 miles on it and has CPO so i don't want to mess with any of the emissions.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
No point in considering an aftermarket exhaust if you're keeping the emissions stuff and DPF on. I'd also consider toe arms in the rear and if you lower the car by and inch or so overall, you might also need adjustable front sway end links up front.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the help.

BB_cuda: I believe I got the M3 headlight sensor rod in the TRW kit that I bought.

austinla335d: Too late for the OEM, I have already bought all the parts a while ago, they are sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.

I have decided to go with the RennTech tune along with the Wagner IC. Has anybody had any experience with any aftermarket exhausts for this car, the only one I can find is the Eisenmann. Any other performance mod suggestions besides LSD? Car only has 30,000 miles on it and has CPO so i don't want to mess with any of the emissions.
Smoke em if you got em. :thump:

TDIwyse did a muffler delete a while back, and I got into the idea until I realized the gaping hole that would be left. He went through this elaborate aerodynamic installation, but I'm not so sure that's worth it considering there's zero power to gain and basically zero noise to gain. It's just dropping the weight of the muffler and then adding an aero thing that could be a headache.

edit: rushed the comment b/c my conference call started!
Let me elaborate in an effort to summarize... if that makes sense.
The 4 benefits of an exhaust system- and why they don't matter on the 335d (assuming OEM emissions are maintained, of course)
Let's assume you've already come to the conclusion that an exhaust system is almost literally not available anyway, and a muffler-delete is the only thing worth the $$ consideration.
1) Performance- You'll gain zero to minimal hp/tq, even with a "cat-back" style exhaust, custom or otherwise.
2) Sound- You'll gain zero to minimal db/throaty-ness/tone b/c anything happening downstream of the emissions stuff is already 95% muted, so much so that BMW essentially used straight pipes inside each muffler's shell for appearance only. In effect, removing the muffler for straight-thru piping is the equivalent of stripping away the muffler shell and packing material wrapped around it, hence zero to min. sound and power gain... you're just exposing what is already hidden underneath.
3) Weight- You'll save around 30lbs, according to TDIWyse, which in itself is good. It's the only argument to do it, really. If adding Meth, say a 3-5 gallon sump trunk-mount tank of very high quality (as I have- a 3 gallon unit), it installs against the back seat, just over the rear axle, this sort of helps to balance out weight distribution if the muffler is removed, but it doesn't matter... its small potatoes. Also, the methanol tank has a much higher center of gravity, above the axle instead of much lower, behind it. It would almost be better to have a meth tank mounted at muffler height... oh wait... that's what the geniuses on this forum are doing when the kill the DEF tank!
4) Appearance- You can weld on new tips for the same effect, since the rest is hidden. Appx. 4" fits perfectly in the cutout provided by BMW. After seeing quality Cyba tips in 4", in matte silver color, I felt like it could have come that way OEM as part of the M-Sport. It REALLY impacts the way an M-Sport rear diffusor ties the exhaust to the car. The OEM tips look almost like small wheels in big wheel arches and since seeing it, I've been thinking WANT WANT WANT when I see my car's booty.

Probably more info than you need, but maybe good for others perusing.

By the way, I love that you're going all out on the car. I was going to go with an LSD, but I don't track the car and would rather enjoy other things like further refining the appearance, and lighter wheels (hopefully my next mod, via ARC 8 in 19", but maybe 18"). TMI. Back to you in the studio!

Last edited by austinla335d; 09-12-2014 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
Smoke em if you got em. :thump:

TDIwyse did a muffler delete a while back, and I got into the idea until I realized the gaping hole that would be left. He went through this elaborate aerodynamic installation, but I'm not so sure that's worth it considering there's zero power to gain and basically zero noise to gain. It's just dropping the weight of the muffler and then adding an aero thing that could be a headache.

edit: rushed the comment b/c my conference call started!
Let me elaborate in an effort to summarize... if that makes sense.
The 4 benefits of an exhaust system- and why they don't matter on the 335d (assuming OEM emissions are maintained, of course)
Let's assume you've already come to the conclusion that an exhaust system is almost literally not available anyway, and a muffler-delete is the only thing worth the $$ consideration.
1) Performance- You'll gain zero to minimal hp/tq, even with a "cat-back" style exhaust, custom or otherwise.
2) Sound- You'll gain zero to minimal db/throaty-ness/tone b/c anything happening downstream of the emissions stuff is already 95% muted, so much so that BMW essentially used straight pipes inside each muffler's shell for appearance only. In effect, removing the muffler for straight-thru piping is the equivalent of stripping away the muffler shell and packing material wrapped around it, hence zero to min. sound and power gain... you're just exposing what is already hidden underneath.
3) Weight- You'll save around 30lbs, according to TDIWyse, which in itself is good. It's the only argument to do it, really. If adding Meth, say a 3-5 gallon sump trunk-mount tank of very high quality (as I have- a 3 gallon unit), it installs against the back seat, just over the rear axle, this sort of helps to balance out weight distribution if the muffler is removed, but it doesn't matter... its small potatoes. Also, the methanol tank has a much higher center of gravity, above the axle instead of much lower, behind it. It would almost be better to have a meth tank mounted at muffler height... oh wait... that's what the geniuses on this forum are doing when the kill the DEF tank!
4) Appearance- You can weld on new tips for the same effect, since the rest is hidden. Appx. 4" fits perfectly in the cutout provided by BMW. After seeing quality Cyba tips in 4", in matte silver color, I felt like it could have come that way OEM as part of the M-Sport. It REALLY impacts the way an M-Sport rear diffusor ties the exhaust to the car. The OEM tips look almost like small wheels in big wheel arches and since seeing it, I've been thinking WANT WANT WANT when I see my car's booty.

Probably more info than you need, but maybe good for others perusing.

By the way, I love that you're going all out on the car. I was going to go with an LSD, but I don't track the car and would rather enjoy other things like further refining the appearance, and lighter wheels (hopefully my next mod, via ARC 8 in 19", but maybe 18"). TMI. Back to you in the studio!
1.) Basically agree with that. But will add that your hp/weight ratio will improve.

2.) Disagree with this. Don't have any quantifiable data to share as to why, but based on before/after sound, I "liked" what I heard better with the delete. And it's throatier/deeper sounding to my ears with the deletes I'm running than it was with the muffler in place. I've posted some video's demonstrating the sound.

3.) Agree with the ~30 lb weight saving comment. Disagree with some of the weight estimates thrown around in the following part as to what is added with the methanol tank/pump. It doesn't need to be anywhere near that much... And if you're running methanol the fluid/pump weight has to be added some where. Better in the rear of the car than the front from my experience...

Also, putting on a functional rear diffuser to cover the gaping hole actually produced quantifiable benefits.
      09-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
1.) Basically agree with that. But will add that your hp/weight ratio will improve.

2.) Disagree with this. Don't have any quantifiable data to share as to why, but based on before/after sound, I "liked" what I heard better with the delete. And it's throatier/deeper sounding to my ears with the deletes I'm running than it was with the muffler in place. I've posted some video's demonstrating the sound.

3.) Agree with the ~30 lb weight saving comment. Disagree with some of the weight estimates thrown around in the following part as to what is added with the methanol tank/pump. It doesn't need to be anywhere near that much... And if you're running methanol the fluid/pump weight has to be added some where. Better in the rear of the car than the front from my experience...

Also, putting on a functional rear diffuser to cover the gaping hole actually produced quantifiable benefits.
The video I saw had turbo whistle and smoke... Must be the wrong video, but a comment was made that it was "too bad" there wasn't an added sound benefit. Bad memory on my part or wrong thread?

As for the meth tank, I agree that it doesn't need to be that much weight, but I was alluding to the fact that there are now very high quality tanks on the market that make the windshield washer style tanks as undesirable as ever (anything flimsy and prone to crack or damage if stuffing the trunk, leaking methanol/water mixture everywhere). I didn't elaborate on that at all, but having a 3 gallon tank in back, I wish I got the 5. Plenty of room and it doesn't take up much trunk space, plus that much methanol will get me by for a very long time... long enough to use a 2gph nozzle at lower boost settings for "mpg saver" style. All of that is specific to me, so I do agree.

And the aero work you did, the torque app gave us the data to prove the car wasn't working as hard for the same results once installed, but its not a widely performed option and seems like a lot of effort, but again, I haven't gotten terribly deep into the process. I'm still on the fence about the muffler delete and aero under-car work as you've done. Tough choice... that money could go towards lightweight wheels, which I feel are somewhat holding me back from enjoying the car more than a muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #16
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
The video I saw had turbo whistle and smoke... Must be the wrong video, but a comment was made that it was "too bad" there wasn't an added sound benefit. Bad memory on my part or wrong thread?

As for the meth tank, I agree that it doesn't need to be that much weight, but I was alluding to the fact that there are now very high quality tanks on the market that make the windshield washer style tanks as undesirable as ever (anything flimsy and prone to crack or damage if stuffing the trunk, leaking methanol/water mixture everywhere). I didn't elaborate on that at all, but having a 3 gallon tank in back, I wish I got the 5. Plenty of room and it doesn't take up much trunk space, plus that much methanol will get me by for a very long time... long enough to use a 2gph nozzle at lower boost settings for "mpg saver" style. All of that is specific to me, so I do agree.

And the aero work you did, the torque app gave us the data to prove the car wasn't working as hard for the same results once installed, but its not a widely performed option and seems like a lot of effort, but again, I haven't gotten terribly deep into the process. I'm still on the fence about the muffler delete and aero under-car work as you've done. Tough choice... that money could go towards lightweight wheels, which I feel are somewhat holding me back from enjoying the car more than a muffler delete
If you still had the oem DPF in place, I could see how the sound difference might not be there. I didn't test this configuration so have nothing useful to add in that regards.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...7#post15363837

The above link had the weight being closer to 40 lbs than 30 lbs. There's a sound/video clip in there. I made the comment that the video picks up more turbo whistle than I hear in real life (think the microphone in my cell phone tends to pick up high frequencies better than low frequencies). I don't see any smoke there.

You can also hear a little of the sound here where I was testing the electronic LSD and snow traction. This before getting the quaife LSD.

I agree that if you keep the mufflers in place it wouldn't make sense to fuss with the underbody. But if you do delete them, then the open cavity has less than desirable characteristics.

Hope you find a solution that you like!
      09-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #17
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d
Tough choice... that money could go towards lightweight wheels, which I feel are somewhat holding me back from enjoying the car more than a muffler delete
Austinla335d, I have the ARC-8 wheels. They look great and are 9-10 lbs less than my OEM that I have my winter tires on. As my upper-body strength has declined mucho lately, I really appreciate the lighter weight at rotation time. And at track time too.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
Just out of curiosity, where can 1 purchase the Quaife LSD for the 335d from and how much does it cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #19
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC335d
Just out of curiosity, where can 1 purchase the Quaife LSD for the 335d from and how much does it cost?
VAC Motorsports. You're looking at a starting price of $2,575 if you ship your core to them

Add $900 more for a used core and $1,600 more for a new core altogether.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
Masstar
Private
United_States
Rep

You asked about bump stops. I have eibach pro kit, in the instructions it said to cut about 2.5 cm off the rear bump stops, which I did. Says re-use stock stops on front. Seems to be good.