Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

09-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Questions about OEM 19" 437M Tires

I had a couple of quick questions, regarding the tires on the 19" 437M wheels. On the F82 build I'm ordering, I have opted for the "19" Black Style 437M with Mixed Perf. Tires" option. Two questions:

1.) What tires come with these wheels? I've heard it's the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but I've also heard something about Pirelli run-flats.

2.) I've read things about how these tires aren't supposed to be driven in temperatures below a certain point. Is this true? Here in Tennessee, the highs average in the 40's and the lows average in the 20's/30's during winter. I had Pilot Sport PS2's (265/35/18; 295/35/18) on my Z, and I had no problems driving it in low temperatures. Is this going to be a problem, and should I get a second set of winter tires?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

So far all these wheels have come with PSS. In one its many promotional publications, BMW stated that it worked with Michelin to design these tires specifically for the M3/4 and that these tires are not the same as the standard PSS in the equivalent sizes. Thus at least for the current model year, it is unlikely that there would be any other tires. Also, these are not run-flats.

I have not heard anything about temperature limits for these tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
So far all these wheels have come with PSS. In one its many promotional publications, BMW stated that it worked with Michelin to design these tires specifically for the M3/4 and that these tires are not the same as the standard PSS in the equivalent sizes. Thus at least for the current model year, it is unlikely that there would be any other tires. Also, these are not run-flats.

I have not heard anything about temperature limits for these tires.
That's what I figured, but I just wanted to be sure.

And I had heard that they weren't supposed to be driven in certain lower temperatures (below around 50°F/10°C or so), or they risk cracking/splitting. So hopefully somebody can give me some insight on this. :|
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

What I have heard is that they are a little greasy when cold, but once warmed up they do well for a street tire. Also i have read that Michelin and BMW worked extensively in developing these tires, and that BMW has partnered to equip all M's from the E30 on with Michelin as the standard fitment when delivered. Fran
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Tires

1) BMW Motorsport has avoided using run-flats on M cars. They just don't have the same performance envelope, but then again, Michelin has a run-flat for the Corvette that seems to work just fine. This is the same reason Porsche will not use run flats across it's entire model line.

2) Here's a link on cold weather and the summer tires. I'd suggest getting a nice set of all seasons for the cold weather, but that's up to you

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=220
Appreciate 0