THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i Test Drive Impressions from an F30 328i Owner

09-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
pocoyo_3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i / 6MT

M235i Test Drive Impressions from an F30 328i Owner

I thought I would share some of my test drive impressions of an M235i from the perspective of being an F30 328i owner.

I should start off by saying that I have previously owned an E46 323i, E90 325i, and an E90 335i, all with 6-speed manual transmissions and sports packages. My current car is an F30 328i M-Sport / 8AT, and though it is a great car, I have always found it somewhat wanting as far as being a true drivers car. It's on the large side, and the steering isn't exactly the sharpest. If you can tolerate the gruff noise, the N20 is a great engine.

Anyway, this was meant to be a review of the M235i that I had a chance to drive today. The short answer would be that I was very impressed. The N55 is truly a brilliant engine. No, it is not night and day faster than an N20, but the way it goes about its business in terms of delivery and particularly sound is totally different.

How does it steer and drive? Well, I didn't have a chance to push the chassis much, and the car I drove was an x-drive (why in Southern California), but the steering did feel sharp, and the car very tight overall, like a BMW should. I could only imagine that the non x-drive would feel even better.

Other impressions? The size of the car is just right to be able to strike a balance between having enough space to a great daily driver and tourer, without feeling bloated (yes, F30 I am talking about you). I also noticed that it was surprisingly quiet on the highway, that goes with the potential grand tourer role this car could take on.

3 word summary? I want one!!!
2014 F30 328i / Alpine White / Black Sensatec / 8AT (2TB) / ZMM / 494 / 609 / ZDA / ZLP
2015 F22 M235i / Alpine White / 6MT / ZTP / ZPP / ZDA / 494 / ZDM
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoyo_3 View Post
Other impressions? The size of the car is just right to be able to strike a balance between having enough space to a great daily driver and tourer, without feeling bloated (yes, F30 I am talking about you). I also noticed that it was surprisingly quiet on the highway, that goes with the potential grand tourer role this car could take on.

3 word summary? I want one!!!
I had the same impression after driving a xdrive model - RWD can only be better, not that the xdrive was any slouch! Came back a week later and ordered mine. Its a perfect size for me, only kids will see the back seat maybe once a month. The other 99% of the time, its ALLLL mine
      09-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
I had the same impression after driving a xdrive model - RWD can only be better, not that the xdrive was any slouch! Came back a week later and ordered mine. Its a perfect size for me, only kids will see the back seat maybe once a month. The other 99% of the time, its ALLLL mine
The Xdrive is faster
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayevman View Post
The Xdrive is faster
I think he was referring to enjoyment, not acceleration. But yeah, AWD will win in a drag race.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
I think he was referring to enjoyment, not acceleration. But yeah, AWD will win in a drag race.
I haven't seen any reviews or thorough test drives yet, but it seems that the assumption is that if the Xdrive has more grip (and less understeer and oversteer) that it will be less fun. I rarely hang the rear end out on my 2012 135i CV with Sports Suspension and DCT and it's a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0