E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 E93 roof opens but struggles to close

09-01-2014, 04:35 AM   #1
nnkuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

2007 E93 roof opens but struggles to close

Hi all,

Was wondering if I could get some help with my 07 E93. I bought it about a year ago from a BMW dealer, for the last week or so I've noticed that the roof doesn't close properly. I'll push the button down for it to come up, the back bit will pop open but the roof itself will move maybe an inch or so and no further. If I then reverse this, so push the roof button to open the roof and then try close it again it does generally close the roof.

This isnt a problem I've had in the past and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Many Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

This could be a number of things but start here
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=salmon+relay
Salmon colored relays, electro-hydraulic pack are the most likely issues. Less likely but plausible is a hall sensor that has been bumped out of alignment.
This is part of the first reference
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=530760
Diagram of the top also looked down a few posts on first reference.

In general the top is very reliable especially if you follow these guidelines.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=609222
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
mroehricht
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Convertible

Hi Everyone - Wanted to chime in here on the hardtop roof issues. Mine got stuck half way a couple days ago and I manually closed it using instructions on this forum.

Do NOT try to manually close your roof if it is stuck and you are seeing the red light on the switch where you open and close it.

There is a HIGH chance that you will destory one of the many sensors built into the roof assembly.

I did this and it is NOT covered by BMW.

Cost to fix is about $1,200 for me but it was only one sensor and a misaligned roof.

These roofs are very sensitive and are very precise in how they work. If you try to lower it back to closed position, you will not be able to it accurately, especially with just one person since the weight of the roof will skew to the opposite side.

Have your car towed on a flat bed in reverse position so the wind doesn't push into the cabinet and against the open roof which can bens it further.
Edit QUOTE
Appreciate 0