F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Oil sensor question
Studio RSR

08-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Oil sensor question

This has probably been beat to death already so I apologize for being lazy.

Given there is no dipstick (we "older" drivers can be a little concerned about new technology) what actually happens if oil levels drop to a dangerous level?

Do you get a "check engine" warning ) presuming you still have an engine) or is the system smart enough to flat out shut you down to avoid a blown engine?

Again, sorry for being lazy and thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
tuned2ride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, S5 SB, looking for a M340

You really should read that owner manual...

Yeah you'll get a specific oil level warning, asking you to add 1 liter of oil.

This system works well and proved reliable. My only gripe is that you can't get a reading before 10 minutes of engine running.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned2ride View Post

This system works well and proved reliable. My only gripe is that you can't get a reading before 10 minutes of engine running.
I can't seem to find anything that addresses what happens if the sensor FAILS. Telling me to add oil is just fine and that indicates the system is functional. I'm asking what happens if it DOESN'T work at all - does the engine shut down to protect it or does it continue running until you puke the motor?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Austinformedude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328

If the computer detects the sensor is not working properly, you will get a "check control" message alerting you to "drive moderately" and bring your car in to the service center. The car will continue to operate normally otherwise.

Here is a link showing how to fix one if it fails. I know this is an older engine, but it is the exact same concept.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Dr.HiTcH
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 335i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned2ride View Post

Actually my car start reading the oil level when the temp shows 90C, regardless of the time i start it,,, strange!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinformedude View Post
If the computer detects the sensor is not working properly, you will get a "check control" message alerting you to "drive moderately" and bring your car in to the service center. The car will continue to operate normally otherwise.

Here is a link showing how to fix one if it fails. I know this is an older engine, but it is the exact same concept.

Thanks and thanks for the link - I had no idea where the sensor was located and relieved it's "external" so you can at least do a "visual" periodically.

Having spent several years as a mechanical designer, with some experience in the electrical field as well, I have been curious as to whether or not this is a "fail safe" setup. In other words, if the sensor completely "fails" does the system recognize that failure because it's not getting info and send a message.

I'm a big fan of fail safe designs. I had an Acura that I was driving to Lake Tahoe in the middle of winter. It was colder than all get out and the temperature in the car was dropping like a rock - no heat from the heater. That's when I learned that particular car had a fail safe thermostat that defaulted to wide open if it was defective - loved that feature even though I almost froze to death because of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
olinjohnston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i & 1994 840Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent11202 View Post
In other words, if the sensor completely "fails" does the system recognize that failure because it's not getting info and send a message.
Yes.

You would see a warning message something along the lines of "Oil level sensor malfunction." Another cool thing that a car with a conventional dipstick wouldn't do is warn you when the oil is overfilled.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
Yes.

You would see a warning message something along the lines of "Oil level sensor malfunction." Another cool thing that a car with a conventional dipstick wouldn't do is warn you when the oil is overfilled.
Thanks Olin! I was hoping it was set up that way. So, the system also warns you if you overfill - wow, impressed - both of these features pretty much alleviate any angst a person might have about the lack of a dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

There is still a dipstick fitted. (or at least there is on my car). A forum search should help you to locate it, several people have located theirs and posted pics showing location
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
There is still a dipstick fitted. (or at least there is on my car). A forum search should help you to locate it, several people have located theirs and posted pics showing location
If there really is one, they sure did a good job of hiding it from a LOT of people!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
olinjohnston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i & 1994 840Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

On DIESEL engines there is...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
On DIESEL engines there is...
I'll be darned. You'd think if they, BMW, thought they weren't really that necessary, they would have eliminated them across the board.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

My philosophy on a lease is to never pay more than Tax, Tags and 1st months payment up front. Any additional monies should be used as additional security deposits in order to reduce your money factor. Remember you get your security deposit back at the lease end. Do you know your quoted MSRP, Cap Cost and Money Factor?
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #14
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
My philosophy on a lease is to never pay more than Tax, Tags and 1st months payment up front. Any additional monies should be used as additional security deposits in order to reduce your money factor. Remember you get your security deposit back at the lease end. Do you know your quoted MSRP, Cap Cost and Money Factor?
Seriously?!
      09-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep

A thread that mutates from an oil sensor issue to leasing philosophy in only 12 posts? Amazing!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #16
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

My oil sensor is not reliable. It can be max one day and go down one inch the next then back to max agsin. I've tested it many many times same engine temp and same flat surface. BMW says don't worry unless it says to add. But I don't trust the big fluctuation so far apart
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
benzin
Rep
Drives: E92 320i F30 328i

I cannot read anymore the oil level on my F30 328i idrive, message is OIL LEVEL INACTIVE, it is either:

- oil sensor failure
- software bug that needs reset

It doesnt say to replace immediatly and i still have no fault in the vehicule status !!!

I wish i had a dipstick...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #18
hummali
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinformedude View Post

This is not the case, at least for me. Writing this here hoping it helps others:

Oil level sensor became inactive. I had no idea. It had been inactive for a long time and I got no error message or check engine light or service message. I had an oil filter gasket leak. I was moving from one state to another so I didn't notice the leak or anything suspicious. 6m after the move I got a house/garage/same parking space and finally started to see small drops on the floor.

Went into MMI to check oil level and was unable to. read codes - no error code. reset ECU, engine level sensor came back on, was able to run it and it showed max/full. A day later, the sensor became inactive again - this time it said go to the nearest service center. However, be mindful there was no error light etc. unless I went into MMI and looked specifically under the 'measure engine oil' option.

Long story short, I had only 2 quart of Oil left.

1)Oil Sensor will show you the last read level when not working or after ECU reset, etc.
2) Oil level sensor wire coming from ecu to the sensor was cut in half, still trying to figure out how is that possible
3) No check engine light or service call etc - I believe it is because no signal is going back from the sensor to the ECU as the sensor is not connected in this case.
4) Thought of putting in a new wire but decided to just put in butt connectors and secure them.Oil Sensor works now.
5) Oil level sensor takes a few hrs to read properly after an oil change - this is something that was being discussed in other forums. The dealer says give it 12 hrs overnight to sit before putting in more oil, etc.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0