F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New 435i Build Damaged at Delivery
ARMA SPEED

08-31-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
dconn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i Sedan

New 435i Build Damaged at Delivery

As the title says, I took delivery of a new, custom 435i with all the options and have found tons of damage since delivery. I inspected the car well at delivery as I always do, but most of this cannot be seen without the appropriate light and at certain angles. Most of it cannot be seen in direct light on a sunny day, hence the reasons I did not see it on delivery day.

I immediately logged the issues with the delivering dealer and BMW NA. I purchased out of state (South Carolina) and am now waiting to schedule a meeting with a BMW rep at my local dealer in Florida.

I'd like the to think all of these items are fixed and relatively easily. I think they are small enough where I don't have to worry about paint mismatch, etc., but I am beyond unhappy. This is my first poor experience in any capacity with BMW. In a perfect world, I'd have them take the car off my hands and just get a new one, but obviously I know that won't happen.

-Driver side mirror scratched
-Driver side mirror blind spot triangle shows debris inside the housing when lit
-Paint damage on hood - looks like rock chips but it's just significant missing paint
-Imperfections in the paint in numerous areas - Areas of blue and white thin spots throughout the mineral grey paint
-Paint damage on the edges of the cutout for the gas tank door
-Multiple scratches on the interior aluminum trim
-Discoloration around the black speaker housing on the passenger door
-Scratches on the navigation screen
-Front dash/console rattle - known issue from what I've read on the forum
-Tons of swirl marks from someone's poor attempt at detailing
2017 Tesla Model S/2014 BMW 435i Coupe/2011 BMW 328i Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

So you took delivery, signed etc.? The key problem will be proving none of this happened after you took delivery. How did you not notice any of this?
      08-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Have you filled out the dealer survey? Let them know that they will get all zeros till they rectify the issue.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

The last point is the result of letting the dealer prep it.

Pics of any of these issues?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
bmwauug
Major
Rep

I will say, scratches on the nav would really piss me off.

Last edited by bmwauug; 09-01-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
dconn
Private
United_States
Rep

As I said, a lot of these are very difficult to see. It's ultimately irrelvant as they still exist regardless of the angle or lightning required to see them.

The delivering dealer was made aware less than 24 hours after delivery. I already have it in writing that these are not from me nor am I liable. More so, despite what many would tell you on this forum, BMW does not wipe their hands of the vehicle once you sign and take delivery. BMW NA takes situations like this very seriously. Most of these are factory/dealer defects as well.

I have not filled out the survey and won't until this has been resolved.

The dealer was explicitly told not to prep or detail in any capacity, but there was a two week gap between delivery from VPC and delivery to me due to my schedule. I'm sure they disregarded this.

I'm not looking to gain anything from the replies on the thread, but simply wished to present the situation for others to review. I will report back with updates/resolution.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
S1LV3RSAMURA1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M-Sport

Sorry but your car...
Hope everything gets taken care of sooner than later.

I Don't get why the dealer prep after delivery can be so bad. I've seen the cars at my dealer and they're shiny and so clean looking. I'm scheduled to take delivery in the next few weeks. I'm not sure if I want my dealer to touch my car now. Has anyone called their dealer out on any of these swirl marks that are supposedly left on your vehicle?
Just curious to see how far someone has gone with their claims.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
bmwauug
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1LV3RSAMURA1 View Post
Sorry but your car...

I Don't get why the dealer prep after delivery can be so bad. I've seen the cars at my dealer and they're shiny and so clean looking. I'm scheduled to take delivery in the next few weeks. I'm not sure if I want my dealer to touch my car now. Has anyone called their dealer out on any of these swirl marks that are supposedly left on your vehicle?
I think the lesson learned is to really inspect your car. When I took delivery (at night as well), the car was pulled into the showroom. I had plenty of time to inspect the car inside and out under good lighting conditions. Also, a near miss, I told the dealer NOT to install the front plate. My SA said (after I told them I'd be in to sign and did't want to wait long) that the front plates were installed to save time. I told him if the front bumper was drilled, no deal and I want a different car. Luckily (for me so I don't have to wait ) the bumper was not drilled. Point being shame on the dealer and somewhat shame on you for not checking. Not saying it's your fault etc., and I understand that things may get overlooked - just sounds like you have a lot of issues, and a car is a big purchase. That said, point blank, I'd ask for a new car. No way I'd deal with it…it's new! not used!
      08-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
bmwauug
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1LV3RSAMURA1 View Post
Sorry but your car...

as for swirls….and free car washes…both dealers in my area are soft cloth.
      08-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1LV3RSAMURA1
Sorry but your car...

I have called out my dealer a few years back.

I specifically told them NOT to wash the car. Which they did anyway.

Lucky for me it's the same SA I've been dealing with for years who has always been good to me. He knows I take good care of my cars and being sapphire black, incredibly hard to keep swirl free.

Without even inspecting the car they admitted fault and offered to rectify immediately by offering their paint protection for free.

I declined and just said I wanted a major discount on my next service. No argument.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dconn View Post
I inspected the car well at delivery as I always do, but most of this cannot be seen without the appropriate light and at certain angles. Most of it cannot be seen in direct light on a sunny day, hence the reasons I did not see it on delivery day.
I certainly understand the principle of the matter, but I would assume that you were planning on doing a new car detail yourself, or by a professional, anyway since you specifically asked them not to prep it. So, all the stuff that was a result of a poor prep will easily be corrected. Sure it's extra work, but certainly doable. If you can only see the areas with a detailing light then you are only going to be satisfied by doing it this way anyway. At least they didn't drill your bumper for a front plate when asked not to, which would necessitate having a new bumper installed.

However, the damaged items, such as paint chips, scratched mirror, scratched Nav screen, etc., should be remedied by the dealer or BMW, N.A. However for none of the items you mention would it be reasonable to request a different automobile.
      09-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
dconn
Private
United_States
Rep

When I say light, I'm just referring to lighting (mid-day, low light, etc.) other than a sunny day. I am not referring to a detailing light.

As I said, a new vehicle is not even on the table as it would never happen. I am going after all repairs and waived payments.

At this point, I'm just thrilled to be driving around a $60,000 beater. My front collision system and front camera went out yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Would you mind sharing what SC dealer this was?

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
Babo335
Officer
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 Xdrive

I feel some of your pain as I'm going through a similar situation with my new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
JKeats
Rep
Drives: 2015 428ix Gran Coupe

Well, this thread got me concerned about the process of taking delivery of my on order 428GC. Is there a guide anywhere detailing all the checks I should do before I sign the papers? Sounds like I should instruct the dealer not to prep or detail it (or drill holes in the bumber for a license plate)?

First time buying a car from a dealer, much less a custom built one, so appreciate the guidance.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #16
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKeats View Post
Well, this thread got me concerned about the process of taking delivery of my on order 428GC. Is there a guide anywhere detailing all the checks I should do before I sign the papers? Sounds like I should instruct the dealer not to prep or detail it (or drill holes in the bumber for a license plate)?

First time buying a car from a dealer, much less a custom built one, so appreciate the guidance.
It depends on the dealer. I've never had any problems with mine when it comes to them washing or prepping the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 12:40 AM   #17
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKeats View Post

Make sure you pick the car in good light and go over it with a fine comb. Do not let anyone rush you. That's pretty much it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 01:33 AM   #18
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
Make sure you pick the car in good light and go over it with a fine comb. Do not let anyone rush you. That's pretty much it.
My car arrived two days early and so I didn't get to the dealer until night. However, I brought a flashlight and went over every inch of the car. Also brought my order checklist that had every single option, three pages. Made them walk thru every single option to make sure it was there and functioning.

Since I had ordered thru a different dealer and just had it delivered here, they were not very happy with me. But it's my car and I wanted to make sure everything was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #19
Danman5666
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Any update OP?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #20
JKeats
Rep
Drives: 2015 428ix Gran Coupe

Thanks guys. Now I just wish the damn thing would get here!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #21
dconn
Private
United_States
Rep

I am scheduled to meet with a BMW rep at my local dealer on 9/24. After that, I should have a decision on the repair of all items.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #22
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Wow, that really sucks. So sorry to hear that. That reminds me to really inspect my car carefully when it comes in. Fortunately, they should be able to fix all of them, but it never should have happened.
Appreciate 0