E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > does hot water strip wax

01-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
DTDREW
Rep
n/a
Drives:

does hot water strip wax

i wax my car often.. some handwash carwashes use hot water to wash it. doesnt that strip the wax???
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
GSRstilez
Resident Detailer
Rep
Drives: Soon to be E46 ZHP

Theoretically, yes.

If you try melting paste wax (I have), it melts around 120-140*. On a hot day, in the sun, dark finishes can get upwards of 175-195*. I have measured them with an infared gun.

Will your car still have protection? Sure. Waxes aren't pure carnauba wax (despite popular belief) but are mixed with oils and other ingredients to max the waxes easier to use and have more character (wetness, depth, glow, etc). These other ingredients still around a bit longer; hence, the continuing beading.

My suggestion, use a sealant for protection (Zaino/Klasse) and top with a wax for that little extra beauty. Think of it like this:

"Polish to correct, Seal to protect, Wax to perfect"
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

If you're using carnuba wax, then yes, the car wash will remove the wax after multipe washes. This is not necessarily because of the heat of the water, but also because of the detergent used. They will both wear out the wax with time.

Sealants like klasse and zaino are much more durable and will hold up better to an automatic car wash.
Appreciate 0