ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Anyone move from C6 Z06 to F80 M3?

Hey all,

I've been on the fence about whether to replace my E89 Z435 with an F80 M3 or a C6 Z06

The C6 Z06 is pretty tempting right now, since I've seen several examples for sale on the Corvette Forums with low miles and some mods to the head/cams to fix the valve guide issue for sale around $45k

I like going to HPDE and expect the c6z to have a clear advantage in that area. On the flip side, I think the M3 would be an awesome commuter car, since it has a nicer interior and more in-cabin tech.

Anyone own both and care to share a perspective?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Hey all,

I've been on the fence about whether to replace my E89 Z435 with an F80 M3 or a C6 Z06

The C6 Z06 is pretty tempting right now, since I've seen several examples for sale on the Corvette Forums with low miles and some mods to the head/cams to fix the valve guide issue for sale around $45k

I like going to HPDE and expect the c6z to have a clear advantage in that area. On the flip side, I think the M3 would be an awesome commuter car, since it has a nicer interior and more in-cabin tech.

Anyone own both and care to share a perspective?

Thanks!
I love the F8x M's, but not enough to get me out of my C6Z. Completely different animal. I'm having my heads redone now, and having a considerable power bump at the same time. Buying one that has heads already done is a nice bonus.

If you're going to be tracking a fair amount, then get the C6Z, and spend some money on brakes, and seats. The car is incredibly capable on street tires. It demands respect to drive fast.

I don't find the interior in mine as offensive as everyone likes to point out. It's utilitarian with no gee-wiz gadgetry. When you open it up, the last thing on your mind is the aesthetics of the radio buttons.

Want a daily car that car that can make you smile at the track? Get the BMW.
Looking for a no-holds-barred track monster that is liveable day to day, get the Z06.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
There are a lot of C6Z's in my track club. They can be amazingly fast but also a big handful for even intermediate drivers. I know guys that have been tracking their's for over a year and still have to keep some of the nannies on to keep it on the track. Amazing brakes, and near bullet proof LS7. With Headers, cam, exhaust simply the best sounding thing at the track, major drool. I've been told you have to get comfortable with a bit of drifting to get really quick with them around a track.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #4
schmitzna
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
There is no better bargain than the C6 for track duty. Highly capable on the track, especially if you upgrade the seats and brakes. Glad you are aware of the exhaust valve issue as three of my close friends had LS7s grenade on them because of this.

Haven't taken delivery of my F80 yet, but it is not going to replace the C6. The interior materials of my 2006 C6 did not wear nearly as well as my wife's 2009 528ix. My C6 evolved from street car, to trackable street car, to streetable track car and all the while doing DD duties. At 80K miles, I will have no regrets gutting the interior if I decide to make it a dedicated track car. I am hoping that I will feel differently about the F80 at the same age.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
I love the F8x M's, but not enough to get me out of my C6Z. Completely different animal. I'm having my heads redone now, and having a considerable power bump at the same time. Buying one that has heads already done is a nice bonus.

If you're going to be tracking a fair amount, then get the C6Z, and spend some money on brakes, and seats. The car is incredibly capable on street tires. It demands respect to drive fast.

I don't find the interior in mine as offensive as everyone likes to point out. It's utilitarian with no gee-wiz gadgetry. When you open it up, the last thing on your mind is the aesthetics of the radio buttons.

Looking for a no-holds-barred track monster that is liveable day to day, get the Z06.
That was a VERY fair comment and completely in line with my good friend's experience. Good response.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

Quote:

I think that's a pretty fair review as well. I liked my Z06. 0-60 in first gear is great.

The Z06 is older, feels older, simpler...not as much fun as a shiny new F82 for zipping around in the city. Not as sexy as the M4. Better on the track - they are monsters.

I'd buy another Z06 for track duty but wouldn't be tempted to swap my F82 for day to day driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Howell View Post
I think that's a pretty fair review as well. I liked my Z06. 0-60 in first gear is great.

The Z06 is older, feels older, simpler...not as much fun as a shiny new F82 for zipping around in the city. Not as sexy as the M4. Better on the track - they are monsters.

I'd buy another Z06 for track duty but wouldn't be tempted to swap my F82 for day to day driving.
A C6Z06 not as sexy as an M4? You have got to be kidding me
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
A C6Z06 not as sexy as an M4? You have got to be kidding me
Nah. I don't think they're sexy. Imagine that.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #9
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Howell View Post

Huh? An M4 is considered sexy? lol
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4672.00
      09-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks bogdan and everyone else for the perspectives.

This is pretty much what I thought based on talking with C6Z owners at the track and how I feel about my Z4

Great to hear the LS7 really is a stout motor from more track users

Please shoot me a PM if you have an leads on C6Z owning friends looking to step up to a C7Z.....
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

Quote:

i've owned a C6Z for about 4 years and have driven the M4. the above thoughts are pretty much exactly the same as mine. i did my heads a few months ago and it's nice to drive the car without fear of grenading. my thought is that the BMW is a much nicer car but the Z is the more pure sports car. they're two very different cars tho they get cross shopped because it seems a lot of us are attracted to both.

i'm on the fence regarding my next car related move, but my present inclination is to keep the Z (and slowly turn it into a more and more track oriented car) and add an f80 as a very big DD upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I've had and tracked E36/E46/E90 M3's and also track a C6 Z06. I have not tracked a F80 M3 yet.

The M3 is a ton better for daily driving in my opinion. Much more comfortable to drive, easy to see out of, quiet, and overall more relaxing for crusing. M3 also fits 4 people and can carry decent amount of cargo. I think it is about the best all around track/daily drive car you can possibly have. M3 is also very reliable in terms of mechanicals and build quality and design of parts are better than the Z06.

Z06 wins on the track in terms of lap times and speed hands down. Not even close. It is much more raw and can really crush it on the track. If you want a fast powerful and really fun track/weekend car i say get the Z06. The LS7 from GM is junk and a garbage build. As it seems you already know they have head/valve issues. About everyone I know has had at least one motor blow in in their C6 Z06 if not more than one. Also the other mechanical items have lots of quality issues and stuff fails all the time...just look at the corvetteforum and you will see. I never had really any mecahnical issues with any of the M3's but have a ton with the Z06 and I've realized everyone with the Z06 has those similar issues. I wouldn't want to have to drive the Z06 everyday but would choose it over the M3 for a pure speed/track/weekend excitement vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

i disagree with the claim of the Z having excessive mechanical issues. the LS7 no doubt has the exhaust valve guide issue, but apart from that, the earlier models' longblocks and drivetrains are pretty bullet proof. there is a particular build date range which needs new rocker arms (from 2007) and some of the very recent examples had a quality control issue with the rods' CrN coating. but excepting the exhaust valve guide issue, i don't believe the car is worse than average reliability, especially at the performance level. i've put >15kmiles on mine and the only repair it's had is a compressor replacement for the (common) compressor noise, and this is the only super common issue i can recall. i did it when i had the heads out and so didn't have to do a ton of labor. other than that and the heads, no repairs to the car.

other items i can think of: if abusing the car on a drag strip early models will want C5Z(?) half shafts. clutch bleeder location is asinine, but the 'ranger' method gets the job done. also, if you plan to track an early model with R compound rubber, you will want to upgrade the oil tank to the larger new version.

i can think of several very common and annoying (but cheap to fix if you know what you're doing) C5 issues including rocking chairs, possessed windshield wipers, pull key wait 10 seconds, 1014 code, plastic headlight gears, etc., but none of these exist for the C6. the only equivalent that comes to mind is the aforementioned AC compressor noise issue. apart from that, seems like a 'normal' car for reliability.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 01:20 AM   #14
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

Late response, but.... I just had my z06 totalled. I used to own sc e90 m3. Had them both over in germany for about a year each. Z06 is a monster, it will eat u and spit u out and u will never be able to find anything in the price range that will come close. On the track, its a handful, i could run my sc e90m3 around the ring for a few laps around the nurburgring and come out with a smile... Z06 after a few laps, id come out sweaty, with white knuckles, and aged by 6.5 yrs... (With better times than m3 though and thats without even being at the limit). Daily z06 is not too bad, ive dd'd it... The infotainment can be swapped for an aftermarket one and will give u a lot of modern toys (exhaust valve controller) and they all came with heads up display (started in 06). Get heads taken care of, and ull have a beast of a motor

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #15
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Don't forget the early models 09> had oil starvation issues with long sweeping left hand turns. Local tracks that were of concern to me were laguna seca and Fontana roval. I've been to Fontana 3x and every time I saw a blown c6z. Easily remedied by a high volume oil tank. Basically, if old tech and bad interior doesn't bother you, you can not go wrong in a c6z.

My last visit to Fontana left me stranded with an e46 m3 and a hole in my block from a seized rod bearing.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #16
geared
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90' s54 325i ; 93' carrera 2

Garage List
2008 Corvette z-06  [0.00]
2015 BMW m3  [10.00]
I own a c6z and a f80 m3.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #17
Electron mike
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, GT4

I had a C6 Z06 and now an F80 M3. The cars are very different with the Z06 being much lighter, more visceral, and quite a bit faster.

In contrast, the M3 is much more luxurious, has more room, and is still very quick itself.

I had fairly good luck with my C6 Z06 with only minor issues requiring fixing. Reliability on track due to the engine and oil starvation if on r comps is questionable as I have seen many LS7s die.

Drive both and decide.. note the stock seats in the Z06 are terrible and need to be replaced for track work.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Hey all, thanks for the recent answers. Just wanted to update that I ordered an m3 last december, did Euro delivery on Mar 31 and finally got my PCD date for jun 12.

Had a chance to try out the m3 on the ring and at spa and many hours of street (autobahn) driving/commuting and have no regrets whatsoever. Love the car.

(But still want a c6 z06 as a third car/track day toy....)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #19
geared
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90' s54 325i ; 93' carrera 2

Garage List
2008 Corvette z-06  [0.00]
2015 BMW m3  [10.00]
I did exactly that...

m3 = daily (under construction, only had it a month and half)

z06 = balls to the wall. 2,400 miles on the car. Boosted, two sets of HRE's, garage queen, highway monster.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #20
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post
I did exactly that...

z06 = balls to the wall. 2,400 miles on the car. Boosted, two sets of HRE's, garage queen, highway monster.

Damn dude, just wet my self lol
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post
I did exactly that...

Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #22
bigdog1250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

I sold my C6 Z06 to move to the M4 because I wanted a bit more practical, well rounded car since I only have room in the garage for 1. I live in San Francisco so only really drive for fun but I had my vette for about 2 years. Tracked it twice and had a lot of fun. The valve issues seems like it affects everyone on the internet, but after speaking with a VERY credible shop out on the West Coast, learned it only really affects about 3% of cars (not year specific either). I'm sure others will argue with me but I trust the shop I spoke with so I never had the heads done. Plus $2-3K for heads is a lot for an issue that might only cost you about $7-10k if it ever happens (If you like math and run the odds, makes sense not to replace them).

Anyway, I love my M4 since it's still plenty quick, has an incredible interior (and I like gadgets) and has back seats. The vette was surprisingly practical in terms of storage space and got decent gas mileage, so in that regard it's not a bad DD. Plus it's so fun to whip around in. Absolute monster in 3rd gear. 70-120 mph is mid blowing.

My M4 only has about 3k miles on it now, but I've done downpipes and JB4 so I'm making around 520hp and it is pretty close to the vette in speed. I drive it a lot faster than the vette on a conistent basis because it feels more planted at speed. You don't feel like you're going fast whereas in the Vette you know exactly how fast you're going. Both are great cars and if I were you I'd try and test drive both.

If you want nicer interior, more practical, yet still fun. Get the M4.
If you want a monster that's decent to DD and can live with 2 seats, get the Z06.

You can't go wrong with either!
Appreciate 0