F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Alternator Engagement and Disengagement
Extreme Powerhouse

08-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
rentien
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2020 M2 Competition

F30 Alternator Engagement and Disengagement

Does anyone know where I can find diagrams (I have done searches but didn't find what I wanted) for how the Alternator Engages and Disengages?

Is it mechanical? Or is it electrical? (Electrical being something like not putting current to the coils, so the alternator spins with no field inside it, so does not generate electricity, and putting charge to the coils when you want more drag but also generation of electricity)?

Just curious. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I don't believe the Alternator engages/disengages. Most cars require an constant output from the alternator to function due to the electricaly load in a modern car- the battery would drain pretty rapidly. It is engaged whenever the engine in running. It is not like the A/C compressor which does cycle "on" and "off"
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

There's a clutch in the pulley for the alternator that disengages while accelerating to reduce engine load. So the accessory belt spins the pulley but the alternator isn't spinning because the clutch isn't transferring the spinning motion to the alternator. Since the alternator isn't spinning, no power is generated.

I don't know how the clutch works though, I'd imagine a magnetic field would work but I really have no clue.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Learn something new every day!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
TheCamboRambo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' 335XI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentien View Post
Does anyone know where I can find diagrams (I have done searches but didn't find what I wanted) for how the Alternator Engages and Disengages?

Is it mechanical? Or is it electrical? (Electrical being something like not putting current to the coils, so the alternator spins with no field inside it, so does not generate electricity, and putting charge to the coils when you want more drag but also generation of electricity)?

Just curious. Thanks.
I'm not sure about a diagram, but I would say it's a bit of both, I know there is a clutch that reduced drag on the engine whenever it's full or close to full, but also that there's regenerative breaking to charge the alternator as well. That probably doesn't help you much though.

15' 335i XDrive - M Sport, MPPK, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Driver Assist, Harmon Kardon, Sport Automatic, Heat Front Seats, Enhanced Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamboRambo View Post
I'm not sure about a diagram, but I would say it's a bit of both, I know there is a clutch that reduced drag on the engine whenever it's full or close to full, but also that there's regenerative breaking (SIC) to charge the alternator as well. That probably doesn't help you much though.
The clutching alternator is there to allow "regenerative braking" (I put quotes since real regen braking requires an electric motor somewhere in the drivetrain). So when you lightly coast to a stop, the alternator is dragging itself to emulate braking. But then it disengages when you're driving unless the battery level gets sufficiently low.
      08-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
rentien
Enlisted Member
Rep

You would think they could just change the field which is electrically driven, to avoid mechanical parts, to change how much resistance (and charging) you get from the alternator. A clutch wears out eventually.

Oh well, just something i was curious about.

I assumed (but am not sure) that this is how the Prius changes the amount of regenerative braking that is being applied on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
rentien
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the responses!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentien View Post
You would think they could just change the field which is electrically driven, to avoid mechanical parts, to change how much resistance (and charging) you get from the alternator. A clutch wears out eventually.

Oh well, just something i was curious about.

I assumed (but am not sure) that this is how the Prius changes the amount of regenerative braking that is being applied on the car.
I think it's a lot more expensive to start engineering fancy alternators with electronically controlled impedance. IMO the current setup is a slightly gimmicky way to get regen braking. But what do I know, maybe it does save some emmpeegee's! I do know I've read a lot of posts where people complain about drivability, possibly because they don't understand what's going on.

The Prius has a motor in the drivetrain (Toyota have pretty advanced parallel hybrid drivetrains), therefore they just use the drive motor in reverse as a generator. Not sure if they can control the magnitude of energy flow into the battery, which would allow them to vary the regen brake torque.

I believe they usually just have the regen happen and apply mechanical brakes additively once the driver requests more than the regen capability.