ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
gogoevo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997.2 TTS

E92 -> GT-R -> F8x

Greetings,

Just dropping by to see if anyone has or is thinking about moving from a GT-R to a M3/4?

I moved from an E92 to a GT-R about 4 years ago, and as I get older I have been yearning for something a bit more comfortable, and a bit more quiet with the latest technology. I'm not looking to argue the merits of each car (apples and oranges), but rather; I'm looking for someone that has contemplated making this switch I have described above.

I recently drove a new M4 (demo car still in break in) and didn't have a whole lot of time to explore the performance and gadgets. My first impressions were positive, however.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by gogoevo; 08-23-2014 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

When I saw the title of your thread, I thought you mean E92 is better than GT-R and GT-R is better than F8x. I thought a flame war was about to start.

I haven't driven E92 and only have rode shotgun once in a GT-R. I do think M3/M4 is a comfortable and civilized car when driven leisurely. Stock exhaust is not too loud and doesn't drone when driven on highway IMO. It has a ton of new technologies. Besides the car's performance, I think the surround view cameras is the coolest feature for me.
      08-23-2014, 12:23 AM   #3
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Damn it confusing title lol
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
haynstyleM2
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

title was almost like a call to rumble............haha! the GT-R is awesome but the new M3/M4 is just damn beautiful and with the twin turbos should be a lot of fun. a long test drive will definitely help you more. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Perhaps consider renaming your title to "E92 -> GT-R -> F8x"
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 02:12 AM   #6
gogoevo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ARchitect View Post
Perhaps consider renaming your title to "E92 -> GT-R -> F8x"
Fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
Zanardi43
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

gogoevo,
My path was somewhat like the one you're considering (RS4 to GT-R to RS5 to F80M3). Both my RS cars were only lightly modified, but my GT-R had extensive mods.

A modified GT-R simply recalibrates your sense as to what speed and performance is possible in a car. I had it for 2-years and never tired of the thrust. But...I'm 40 now and I DD my cars, so for me it isn't 100% about performance at all costs anymore. My move into an RS5 was going in the right direction (lots of great attributes), but I sorely missed the easy to access torque FI provides and relatively small NA motors don't. I also enjoy doing a few track events a year and the RS5 is just so damn heavy.

For me, the F80M3 has been a good step up from the RS5 performance-wise, while delivering all solid luxury and the best technology. Great car.

Last edited by Zanardi43; 08-23-2014 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

I like all three for different reasons. I have driven the M4, but mine is still on order. I was considering trading the GT-R when I get the M4, but I don't think I'll be able to do it. The M4 is plenty quick, but the GT-R is a different level from pretty much everything. But, if I could have one of the three, it would be the M4.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

I went from GTR to E92 and test drove the M4. Currently drive an M5. Compared to the GTR everything will feel really slow and the M4 will feel like an old Cadillac compared to your GTR which for me was a good thing. As long as you're prepared for that, you'll be happy. Also the GTR is a big car so going to an M3/4 there is also a size difference though you'll get more legroom in the Beemer. You will also disappear in traffic which is a good thing as well unless you enjoy the hey look at me I'm in a rocketship feeling. In the end you'll find the M car being much more useful which is the whole point. With all the discounts at Nissan, 2014 leftover GTRs are going for 85k which is tempting as well
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

2014 GT-R to M4

I traded my one year old 2014 GT-R on an M4 about 6 weeks ago. Prior to the GT-R I owned the following in order from most to least recent, 2010 CTS-V, 2008 C6, 2005 C6, 2001 S4. In addition, in 2012 I purchased for my wife a 2012 C63 which we still own (wife says its her favorite car ever and will never let it go) and I drive it at least a few times a month.

I have also been to the AMG driving school at which I got to drive at least briefly the E63, S63, and an SLS.

With that as background, I have never experienced anything that even comes close to the GT-R in terms of raw performance and capability. That is both a blessing and a curse. If you want to track the car, I am sure it is amazing and thrilling. If you daily drive the car, as I did, the car's limits are impossible to challenge or even approach legally on public roads. The problem this creates for some, including me, is a feeling of invincibility and a temptation to push the performance envelope as the car is always ready for more. In these circumstances, the car never failed me or even gave so much as a hiccup, but at a certain point, the police take an unhealthy interest. Since I was not in a position to track the car on even a semi-regular basis, after some very sober thinking, I decided that continued ownership could result in serious legal problems. This was one of the factors that led me to switch to the M4.

The other factor that helped with this decision is practicality. While I was not overly concerned with the torture chamber rear seat in the GT-R (I was never going to sit back there ;-), it was inconvenient as I really could not drive my wife and son with me in the car. More importantly, the GT-R really only permits you to focus on driving and nothing else. At any speed above 30 MPH, the tire noise and exhaust drone completely drown out the audio system (unless you turn it up to ear damaging volume) and the hands-free mobile phone system. Even after I switched to Michelin PSS tires which were a huge improvement in noise over the stock run flats, it was still impossible to have a phone conversation. The ride was also quite firm, although this did not bother me much. The bottom line though is that the car is not very comfortable as a daily driver. For me that was offset by the pure excitement of the power and capability of the car. It was really exciting to drive, but see the previous paragraph for the downside of this aspect.

By comparison, the M4 is incredibly civilized. The interior is more comfortable and infinitely quieter. The audio system and phone are easily audible at all speeds and in all conditions. The M4 seats are more comfortable and more adjustable. Also, the driver aids like nav and other gadgets in the M4 are more advanced since most of the things in the GT-R are 2008 vintage with some slight freshening in recent years. Without doubt, the M4 is by far the better daily driver and I find myself far more relaxed when driving this car.

There is no question that I have sacrificed performance in the switch, but this was part of the plan. The M4 is certainly fun to drive, but it does not corner or accelerate in a way that convinces you that you are driving one of the fastest street legal cars in the world.

As you can see, I am at least somewhat ambivalent about this switch. The devil on my left shoulder says that was the most fun you ever had driving a car. The angel on my right shoulder (and officer friendly) say you can't handle the fun.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg
I traded my one year old 2014 GT-R on an M4 about 6 weeks ago. Prior to the GT-R I owned the following in order from most to least recent, 2010 CTS-V, 2008 C6, 2005 C6, 2001 S4. In addition, in 2012 I purchased for my wife a 2012 C63 which we still own (wife says its her favorite car ever and will never let it go) and I drive it at least a few times a month.

I have also been to the AMG driving school at which I got to drive at least briefly the E63, S63, and an SLS.

With that as background, I have never experienced anything that even comes close to the GT-R in terms of raw performance and capability. That is both a blessing and a curse. If you want to track the car, I am sure it is amazing and thrilling. If you daily drive the car, as I did, the car's limits are impossible to challenge or even approach legally on public roads. The problem this creates for some, including me, is a feeling of invincibility and a temptation to push the performance envelope as the car is always ready for more. In these circumstances, the car never failed me or even gave so much as a hiccup, but at a certain point, the police take an unhealthy interest. Since I was not in a position to track the car on even a semi-regular basis, after some very sober thinking, I decided that continued ownership could result in serious legal problems. This was one of the factors that led me to switch to the M4.

The other factor that helped with this decision is practicality. While I was not overly concerned with the torture chamber rear seat in the GT-R (I was never going to sit back there ;-), it was inconvenient as I really could not drive my wife and son with me in the car. More importantly, the GT-R really only permits you to focus on driving and nothing else. At any speed above 30 MPH, the tire noise and exhaust drone completely drown out the audio system (unless you turn it up to ear damaging volume) and the hands-free mobile phone system. Even after I switched to Michelin PSS tires which were a huge improvement in noise over the stock run flats, it was still impossible to have a phone conversation. The ride was also quite firm, although this did not bother me much. The bottom line though is that the car is not very comfortable as a daily driver. For me that was offset by the pure excitement of the power and capability of the car. It was really exciting to drive, but see the previous paragraph for the downside of this aspect.

By comparison, the M4 is incredibly civilized. The interior is more comfortable and infinitely quieter. The audio system and phone are easily audible at all speeds and in all conditions. The M4 seats are more comfortable and more adjustable. Also, the driver aids like nav and other gadgets in the M4 are more advanced since most of the things in the GT-R are 2008 vintage with some slight freshening in recent years. Without doubt, the M4 is by far the better daily driver and I find myself far more relaxed when driving this car.

There is no question that I have sacrificed performance in the switch, but this was part of the plan. The M4 is certainly fun to drive, but it does not corner or accelerate in a way that convinces you that you are driving one of the fastest street legal cars in the world.

As you can see, I am at least somewhat ambivalent about this switch. The devil on my left shoulder says that was the most fun you ever had driving a car. The angel on my right shoulder (and officer friendly) say you can't handle the fun.

Cheers
What he said ^^
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

agree with above...GTR is a vicious untamed animal and not to be compared to the M3/4...M3/4 should be compared to the S4 and RS4...M3 is a compromise, but a nice compromise.

I could never dd a GTR, not the type of car you can talk on phone , drink coffee and text at same time...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #13
gogoevo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post

Cheers
You have pretty much articulated exactly where I'm at right now. I hate to give up the GT-R but it is what it is, and my wife tells me I can't have both. I am also waiting for some other offerings due to come out in the next 6-12 months, but the M3 is at the top of my list at this point.

Thank all for the comments, they help. In all likely hood I should be back in a BMW this time next year.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
.M3/4 should be compared to the S4 and RS4...M3 is a compromise, but a nice compromise.
)
The M3 compares to the RS4, yes. To S4, no, that's wishful thinking on your part and this comes from a former S4 owner.

irablumberg- great comparison writeup, thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post

Cheers
+1

I own a DBA GT-R and what he said is 100% accurate about the car. I think the F8X M car is perfect. I also do believe the C63 is one of the best daily driven cars I've had. If I were to compare C63 to F8X, I'd hands down take F8X.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
gogoevo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

After careful deliberation I took the plunge and ordered a M3 last night. After I signed on the line I missed the GT-R almost immediately. After sleeping on it I feel much better about my decision, however.

I have 60-days or so left with my GT-R, so I will enjoy it until then
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #17
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoevo
After careful deliberation I took the plunge and ordered a M3 last night. After I signed on the line I missed the GT-R almost immediately. After sleeping on it I feel much better about my decision, however.

I'm on the fence. spend 75k on a new m4 or a 2013 gtr. 4 years of warranty/maint or 6-9 months left of warranty and expensive maint. what were your maint bills like?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #18
LwaLt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EVOX,M4,X2, Model X, Model 3P+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost34 View Post
I'm on the fence. spend 75k on a new m4 or a 2013 gtr. 4 years of warranty/maint or 6-9 months left of warranty and expensive maint. what were your maint bills like?
I went for the M4 and never looked back. Although it's not as fast, but its definitely many times more pleasing to sit in, and to look at (objective). Choice is yours, ask yourself what are your top priorities when spending that kind of money on a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #19
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
Damn it confusing title lol
+1
      11-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #20
biggie27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoevo View Post

LOOOL I had the same exact feeling when I sold the R8, trust me you made a good decision and you will love it when you get into the M3 its not gonna be as fast thats for sure, but it will be fun and plenty of grunt for you to enjoy those short burst of speeds when you want too, and RWD is always a plus for the smile factor
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #21
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Just sold my 2012 GTR Black Series and my M3 arrived a few days ago!

Do I have any regrets? Not at all. When BMW announced they were going to a v6tt configuration I was more than excited. The GTR is a perfect "third car", one you get in on a nice day and bomb around for abit.

The M3 was the perfect compromise for utility/daily driving duties and suited my needs for this period of my life. 4 doors > 2 doors

Trading for an M4 I would have been on the fence, cause you are trading straight performance for alot more luxury. I don't think I would have made the same decision going for an M4, I would have kept the GTR.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #22
gogoevo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost34 View Post
Not that bad really. As with any car, however; it really depends on how you use it and your driving style.
Appreciate 0