F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Leather Dashboard
proTUNING Freaks

08-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

Leather Dashboard

Overall I am still extremely happy with my 2012 F30, and am not looking for a new car any time soon.

That being said, I will admit that I am extremely envious of anyone ordering a 2015 because of the leather dashboard.

Does any with experience doing interior modifications know how difficult and/or expensive it will be to do a DIY aftermarket upgrade with the OEM pieces?
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

I am no expert but it's probably too big of a project to be feasible as it involves the entire upper dash and lower dash pieces, so it's not as simple as swapping wood for metal trim stripes for example.

I have seen one in the dealer showroom (Canadian models had this option for 2014 and they charge $1200). The texture itself is very smooth, pretty much the same as the leather on the M Sport Steering Wheel and the sport auto shifter (they are nappa leather IIRC). Aesthetics is alright, it doesn't feel that soft/supple and the black stitching is too subtle. But I think for that money DHP is a much better proposition as it doesn't put leather where it's needed (i.e. driver's right knee, where currently it's rubbed against hard plastics). The M3/M4 has fat padding in that area tho so we will probably see that in the LCI.
      08-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

We have the leather dash on order, ED this Wed.

That said, my brothers M4 has the leather dash as well. Betwen the stitching on the steering wheel (red & blue) the stitching on the dash (white) and the stitching elsewhere (black) there are 4!!! different color threads in his M4.

Inconsistent and unacceptable.

/rant
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
I am no expert but it's probably too big of a project to be feasible as it involves the entire upper dash and lower dash pieces, so it's not as simple as swapping wood for metal trim stripes for example.
That's what I'm worried about, that either it would be too difficult to do on my own or too expensive to have a dealership do it.

I like the full leather available in the M3 even better, but it seems even less likely I'd be able to make that swap happen, and I'm definitely not in the market for an M3 right now.

Thanks for the help! I guess I may just have to be happy without the extra leather for a while still.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
We have the leather dash on order, ED this Wed.

That said, my brothers M4 has the leather dash as well. Betwen the stitching on the steering wheel (red & blue) the stitching on the dash (white) and the stitching elsewhere (black) there are 4!!! different color threads in his M4.

Inconsistent and unacceptable.

/rant
Congrats, I'll keep my eye out for an update from your trip! Especially if you don't mind including some close-ups of the leather and stitching.

As for the multitude of stitching colors, I completely agree. I was very excited when I ordered my F30 that the CR leather would have black stitching for contrast, only to receive it and find out that most of the stitching was CR. It would look a lot better if it was all black.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

I've seen pics of the company supplying BMW and Mercedes dealers in aftermarket leather who have done the leather dash and it looked good. From what I've heard from others is the leather quality is easily better than BMW Original leather and you get to choose you leather color and stitching for seats as well as the dashboard. Tempting.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_hf View Post
I've seen pics of the company supplying BMW and Mercedes dealers in aftermarket leather who have done the leather dash and it looked good. From what I've heard from others is the leather quality is easily better than BMW Original leather and you get to choose you leather color and stitching for seats as well as the dashboard. Tempting.
True bespoke shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
meme
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongym View Post
Overall I am still extremely happy with my 2012 F30, and am not looking for a new car any time soon.

That being said, I will admit that I am extremely envious of anyone ordering a 2015 because of the leather dashboard.

Does any with experience doing interior modifications know how difficult and/or expensive it will be to do a DIY aftermarket upgrade with the OEM pieces?
I'm on the same boat with you, got a 2014 and this happens
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
punjabimd
Rep
Drives: 435i cvt

Quote:
Name of company (or link)?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cools...=photos_stream
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Damn.... they do amazing work... that 4-Series looks great.

Probably not going to work for guys in the states though.
2017 Alpina B6
22 Ram Trx / 22 M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongym View Post
That's what I'm worried about, that either it would be too difficult to do on my own or too expensive to have a dealership do it.
I am planning to do this swap also -- with OEM parts.

You certainly could have your dealer do the swap. Alternately, you could buy the dashboard, glove compartment, and driver-side piece online through many of the BMW part stores -- when they become available, that is. These parts are just starting in production for 2015, and are not in the parts pipeline yet.

Of course, it won't be as cheap as ordering with your car, because you will not be paying just the incremental $950 cost for leather, you will be buying a second dashboard, glove compartment, etc.

Once you have the parts, you can have your favorite non-dealer mechanic or auto body shop do the swap. If you are extremely handy, you could probably swap the dash yourself too.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

fwiw, many people in the e90 community have done dash swaps from non-idrive to idrive dash
      08-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post
I am planning to do this swap also -- with OEM parts.

You certainly could have your dealer do the swap. Alternately, you could buy the dashboard, glove compartment, and driver-side piece online through many of the BMW part stores -- when they become available, that is. These parts are just starting in production for 2015, and are not in the parts pipeline yet.

Of course, it won't be as cheap as ordering with your car, because you will not be paying just the incremental $950 cost for leather, you will be buying a second dashboard, glove compartment, etc.

Once you have the parts, you can have your favorite non-dealer mechanic or auto body shop do the swap. If you are extremely handy, you could probably swap the dash yourself too.
Thanks for the better detail of what is involved, I figured that was the case but wasn't sure since I've never looked at doing anything like that before.

When I ordered my F30 they were so new, I didn't realize all the different options that would change in just a few years. M-Sport wasn't available, and it's the same way - I really like it, but is it really worth doing as an aftermarket change? It doesn't seem like it. Same goes for the cost of the M-Performance brake kit, compared to the relatively cheap $650 you pay if you get it for a new M-Sport F30.

It's starting to seem like my better option will be to wait until MY2016 or later and just trade in for a new car with all the new options I now want.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for the link, I guess if I really want to go all out I should find a company like that in the states, those interiors are truly exceptional.
Appreciate 0