F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Drag race safety check
ARMA SPEED

08-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
troponin
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive BMS Stage 1

Drag race safety check

I'm wanting to take my car to the strip tonight with some friends, but was wondering how strict they are on the safety check. NHRA states that a driveshaft loop is required if the car runs 13.99...are they going to physically check this? The drag strip is an hour away from my house and the last thing I want to do is drive 2 hours roundtrip for nothing. From what I remember last time I was there, they seemed fairly strict...but I hadn't heard of a driveshaft loop being needed starting at sub-14.

P.S. The track is route 66 outside chicago. I plan on renting a helmet.
      08-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troponin View Post
I'm wanting to take my car to the strip tonight with some friends, but was wondering how strict they are on the safety check. NHRA states that a driveshaft loop is required if the car runs 13.99...are they going to physically check this? The drag strip is an hour away from my house and the last thing I want to do is drive 2 hours roundtrip for nothing. From what I remember last time I was there, they seemed fairly strict...but I hadn't heard of a driveshaft loop being needed starting at sub-14.

P.S. The track is route 66 outside chicago. I plan on renting a helmet.
I'm sure it can vary from track to track, but at Milan they couldn't have given less fucks about anything. The guy who did the tech inspection looked at the car, cracked a few jokes and put the sticker on. They didn't care if you had loose items floating around etc. I actually logged the car with a laptop in the passenger seat.

I will say that you need long pants. Drivers license. They require you to have a helmet once you break into the 14's...probably a SA2005+ helmet, they might take a M rated helmet, not sure.

As far as getting into the 10's...I have no idea, then you need cages and all kinds of other serious shit. I think your car will be fine. Most of those provisions are for the cars that were made in the 70's and sound like jet planes.

So in conclusion, I highly doubt they check your driveshaft, sounds like more of an issue for solid rear axle cars...you can always call ahead if you're really paranoid.
      08-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
troponin
Rep

thanks for the reply!

Thats what I was thinking, but I remember them looking pretty close last time I went there (but that was 2005). Another strip I used to go to couldn't give less crap about what you brought as long as it wasn't a rolling mess.
      08-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It might also depend on when you go. Mid-week test & tune might be no biggie, but if you try to run while they're having a big event the tech people might be more strict...who really knows...

But you really shouldn't need that kind of equipment listed above. You have a pretty much brand new car that will run very low 13's high 12's...they won't care.
      08-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
olehead
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I X drive

NHRA rules state regardless of time if you are running slicks a driveshaft loop is required - it normally is 11.5 cutoff but then you are getting into safety cages and suits - I run low 12 and wife high 12 no loop required
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
troponin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
NHRA rules state regardless of time if you are running slicks a driveshaft loop is required - it normally is 11.5 cutoff but then you are getting into safety cages and suits - I run low 12 and wife high 12 no loop required
Yeah, when I first read the regulation, I missed the part where it said a car under 14, WITH SLICKS, required the loop.

That's what i get for skimming quickly.
      08-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Do you guys know if an r-comp tire like Toyo R888 is considered a slick according to NHRA? Also, how do they treat AWD driveshafts with respect to the safety loops?
      08-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
olehead
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I X drive

a slick is classified as any tire that is not DOT approved - companies like hoosier on their quick time pros are DOT approved as have 2 little grooves - 4 wheel drive cars runnning non DOT approved tires also need a loop
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
a slick is classified as any tire that is not DOT approved - companies like hoosier on their quick time pros are DOT approved as have 2 little grooves - 4 wheel drive cars runnning non DOT approved tires also need a loop
Cool...thanks for the clarification!
      08-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Are you planning on entering into NHRA sanctioned races? If so you probably shouldn't be asking these type of questions here but asking them with NHRA.

If not, why are you so concerned with NHRA rules?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Are you planning on entering into NHRA sanctioned races? If so you probably shouldn't be asking these type of questions here but asking them with NHRA.

If not, why are you so concerned with NHRA rules?
Not sure if directed at me, but a drag strip will tell you to leave if you don't meet their rules (which are defined by the NHRA). Example:

http://www.milandragway.com/track-rules