ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
M4CAB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cab

Anyone going into an M3/4 from a 5 series?

I will be selling my 2011 535i for an M4 cab which I am going to order for Spring delivery. Has anyone gone into their M3/4 from a 5 series, and if so, what have you liked or missed? The only thing I expect to miss - maybe - is the interior space in the front. It's obviously bigger in the 535. Would be curious what others have felt about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
1stm3f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

I just went from a 2012 535i M sport package exec etc etc to an M3. Have 600 miles on it right now. I am really enjoying the M3 I actually like driving again. The 5 was a very nice luxury sedan but not sporty at all. I found the power left a lot to be desired. I do not miss anything about that car. 5 is what it is a large luxury sedan. The M is a FUN car to drive. I don't even feel that it's much smaller. I am 6" 210 pounds wide shoulders and fit perfectly in the car. Sure the passengers in the back have less leg room but I don't spend 65k+ so people can stretch out. Car seat fits fine trunk is large. I can honestly say I miss Nothing about the 5. Interior of the M even feels more luxury.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
NickRac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CAB View Post
I will be selling my 2011 535i for an M4 cab which I am going to order for Spring delivery. Has anyone gone into their M3/4 from a 5 series, and if so, what have you liked or missed? The only thing I expect to miss - maybe - is the interior space in the front. It's obviously bigger in the 535. Would be curious what others have felt about it.
I'm had a 2014 F10 M5 before this.

I don't miss anything except for the high end power. Much easier to park, handles much better and I don't need interior space at all. Back seats were never used and won't be used in this one either.

I thought I would miss the interior front space at first too but I'm fine. BMW did a great job on the F8Xs. It feels much more spacious than the e9Xs. You'll be just fine!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
M4CAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stm3f80
I just went from a 2012 535i M sport package exec etc etc to an M3. Have 600 miles on it right now. I am really enjoying the M3 I actually like driving again. The 5 was a very nice luxury sedan but not sporty at all. I found the power left a lot to be desired. I do not miss anything about that car. 5 is what it is a large luxury sedan. The M is a FUN car to drive. I don't even feel that it's much smaller. I am 6" 210 pounds wide shoulders and fit perfectly in the car. Sure the passengers in the back have less leg room but I don't spend 65k+ so people can stretch out. Car seat fits fine trunk is large. I can honestly say I miss Nothing about the 5. Interior of the M even feels more luxury.
Great to hear this. I really look forward to getting the M4, plus the enjoyment of a convertible. Thanks for the comments!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Axelf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35is...

I too came from an M5.... I bought it in march brand new 4 month later I traded it in for the M3.... Yes it was a very luxurious car and the power was amazing but I have to say I love the M3 ... It so easy to park it fits better on our roads and I don't feel like I have lost very much interior space... The boot is plenty big enough and I also managed to get 400 mile out of a tank of fuel with 34 mpg... I was doing a few fast speeds also but mainly sitting on a motorway.... Yes I did not buy this car for economy as when it needs fuel I just fill it up.. But it good to know you can get this out of a 440 bhp car
      08-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
I did, f10 550i it drives well.. but the M3 is a different car, much more raw on both feel, noise and performance. I will miss some of the luxury, more compliant ride and certain lazy man features... But the driving dynamics are on a totally different level... I will say your making an awesome choice, you will just have to adjust to a proper M car... I am 6'3, 240 and on the fitter side of the map and fit fine in the front seat, it will take some adjusting due to the seats not being lounge chairs... but overall plenty of room
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Came from a 550i M-Sport with RD springs and 20" iForged wheels. Loved the car but the new M3 makes me miss nothing about it. I too thought I'd miss the size of the interior being 6' 220lbs but I find it very comfortable and the seats are SO much better. And like everyone else has said the FUN factor is just through the roof. I never had nearly as much joy as I do with the M3. Gas mileage is better, it pulls harder, corners better, I can actually HEAR the engine and exhaust which I love. Just overall no comparison and I say that having loved the 550i.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
Came from a 550i M-Sport with RD springs and 20" iForged wheels. Loved the car but the new M3 makes me miss nothing about it. I too thought I'd miss the size of the interior being 6' 220lbs but I find it very comfortable and the seats are SO much better. And like everyone else has said the FUN factor is just through the roof. I never had nearly as much joy as I do with the M3. Gas mileage is better, it pulls harder, corners better, I can actually HEAR the engine and exhaust which I love. Just overall no comparison and I say that having loved the 550i.
Anyone having concern about the F80/F82 as a daily driver compared to previous 5-series sedans?

Is the ride quality (on 19's) comfortable enough with F80/F82 compared to previous 5-series - or are your fillings getting rattled loose?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
M4CAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington
I did, f10 550i it drives well.. but the M3 is a different car, much more raw on both feel, noise and performance. I will miss some of the luxury, more compliant ride and certain lazy man features... But the driving dynamics are on a totally different level... I will say your making an awesome choice, you will just have to adjust to a proper M car... I am 6'3, 240 and on the fitter side of the map and fit fine in the front seat, it will take some adjusting due to the seats not being lounge chairs... but overall plenty of room
Speaking of the seats, I like the power thigh extension/support on my 5-series. I don't think that is one of the adjustments on the M seats, is it? I, for some reason, recall that you can do it manually. I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
M4CAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington
Speaking of the seats, I like the power thigh extension/support on my 5-series. I don't think that is one of the adjustments on the M seats, is it? I, for some reason, recall that you can do it manually. I could be wrong.
Also, what "lazy man features" do you miss? It seems to me that all the gadgets and technology from my 5 is in the M4.

How do you like the new idrive knob (that you can use your finger to spell letters). Useful or not?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
JL M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stm3f80 View Post
Dude, we must parallel lives. I am in the EXACT same situation as you...same cars, same height, same weight, car seat in the back. And same feelings about my switch from my 2012 535 Msport to M3.

Actually, the one thing I will miss is the soft close doors. Loved that on my 5.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

We still have our 2013 5 series sedan which my wife won't give up just yet. The biggest difference aside from things like power and handling which you expect in the M3, is the road noise. The 5 series is very quiet, serene almost (although our 740i before that did a better job). In the M3, you have to speak up almost to have a conversation on the freeway. The tyre roar is very loud. As for ride comfort, there isn't much in it. M3 is a bit stiffer but not much. We have the adaptive damping in the M3 (standard in Australia) but not the in the 5.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
M4CAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY
We still have our 2013 5 series sedan which my wife won't give up just yet. The biggest difference aside from things like power and handling which you expect in the M3, is the road noise. The 5 series is very quiet, serene almost (although our 740i before that did a better job). In the M3, you have to speak up almost to have a conversation on the freeway. The tyre roar is very loud. As for ride comfort, there isn't much in it. M3 is a bit stiffer but not much. We have the adaptive damping in the M3 (standard in Australia) but not the in the 5.
Thanks for the feedback. When you say "as for ride comfort, there isn't much in it", what do you mean? The M doesn't offer much ride comfort in your opinion?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL M3 View Post
Dude, we must parallel lives. I am in the EXACT same situation as you...same cars, same height, same weight, car seat in the back. And same feelings about my switch from my 2012 535 Msport to M3.

Actually, the one thing I will miss is the soft close doors. Loved that on my 5.

Lazy Man.. as in P button for parking, soft close doors, automatic trunk... Thigh support.. but again, different kind of car.. the f10 is a bit more relax on the highway, in day to day.. doesn't give you the urge to "drive" ( Be it the driving dynamics are good, car feels solid ) ... to take the corner as fast as you can within legal, safe limits.. IDK, the M3 is a bit different.. like the devil is telling you drive faster, I can go faster, you can take the exit ramp faster... and some how your find yourself taking a certain route, hitting apexes and doing u turns to do it over... I only got to drive my f80 for 7 days and covered 1600 miles, but am going thru M withdrawal... I put the settings on sport plus.. roll down the window but it's not the same... am I a whore? a M crack whore

The I drive is a upgrade in usability, seems to be a bit more responsive, better graphics.. the touch, I didn't play with it.. too much.. but did try to draw a P***S before it picked a letter, but was unsuccessful.

And WTF, car seat.. I have a rule.. no fingerprints on the windows.. so no kids, pets... if needed they can ride in the trunk, but luckly don't have either
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #15
1stm3f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

Ride comfort is fine in the M3 I like it. If you want to ride around in a lazy boy get the 5 or an old Cadillac. If I was being chauffeured on a cross country trip in the back seat I'll take the 5 series. Front seat M3!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 05:43 AM   #16
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CAB View Post
Thanks for the feedback. When you say "as for ride comfort, there isn't much in it", what do you mean? The M doesn't offer much ride comfort in your opinion?
Sorry I meant there isn't much difference in comfort level. The M3 with adaptive suspension is almost as supple as our 5 series with M sports suspension (and run flats).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Great thread. I'm moving from a 550i with Dinan stage 2 and feel a little nervous about the transition to the M3. I guess the best way to overcome this anxiety is to drive the M3 and compare the two. I feel better knowing M5 drivers have made the transition with little problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 03:38 AM   #18
crashtestdummy81
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: YMB F83

I'm coming from an E60 550i M sport with non adaptive m sport suspension (awaiting delivery of my F83) When driving the M4 I noticed no difference in the ride comfort between them, as with the M4 the 550 is also on 19" non run flats but with slightly narrower 245s at the front and a lower profile 275/30 on the rear.
I think I will miss the electric steering column adjustment which moves the wheel out of the way for easier access and I do prefer the built in look of the iDrive screen on the 550.
I much prefer the set up of the A/C on the M4 which is much more like my previous E90 318 and my biggest moan about the 550.
Also when going from the 3 to the 5 I found it a little lazier in the corners so I'll be glad to get the cornering feel back
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
SocalBM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

Likely going to be replacing my '14 550i for an M3, for daily driver purposes - not all out race car. Like the M looks, the size, the capabilities, and the fact that it will be a manual - thought the ZF in the 5 is good. But, my 550 has one-off exhaust and as far as TTV8's go, it freakin' screams when you're on it. So, I'm sure I'll miss the sound, a lot.

Good thing there is still the GT3 and a soon-to-be C7Z.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #20
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Same feeling. Came out of a lightly modded F10 535. Definitely a whole other animal w the m4. Loving every minute of it though.

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #21
M4CAB
Enlisted Member
Rep

I could not find a post on this elsewhere. Would my 18" winter rims from my 5 series work on the M? It would be a bonus if they did. Haven't dug into this issue yet - maybe one of you know.

Great feedback from everyone. For all the reasons mentioned, I have no concerns about leaving my 5 series. It truly is a fantastic car, but I am really pumped about getting the M convertible, and looking like a fool driving top down in Canada at the first sign of days above freezing!!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #22
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CAB
I could not find a post on this elsewhere. Would my 18" winter rims from my 5 series work on the M? It would be a bonus if they did. Haven't dug into this issue yet - maybe one of you know.

Great feedback from everyone. For all the reasons mentioned, I have no concerns about leaving my 5 series. It truly is a fantastic car, but I am really pumped about getting the M convertible, and looking like a fool driving top down in Canada at the first sign of days above freezing!!
tire rack told me, the 18s for winter are only recommended if you the M came with the 18's. If you got the bad a$$ 19's, tirerack recommended 19" winters. not sure why
Appreciate 0