E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d no boost at low RPM

08-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
Ben_g40
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

335d no boost at low RPM

Hi all,

I drove my 335d this weekend and noticed that at low rpm there is no boost whatsoever. I have done quite a lot of searching and come across several potential problems.

I have looked at the vacuum hoses and although frayed can't see any splits. The red vacuum was off of the actuator positioned at the front of the engine. Put it back on and no different.

I presume the next step will be to change the 2 'power converters' or 'boost solenoid' or whatever they're known as. And replace the vacuum hoses as a matter of cause.

Are these BMW items only or are aftermarket replacements available?

If anyone could provide me with some part numbers, and any additional parts that I should replace whilst stripping down, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ben
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

We're staring to see 325d's/330d's/335d's with various issues apart from the much touted vacuum hoses and of course turbo side of things may I suggest something that you may not of focused on.

The two items listed below are worthy of a mention as we've replaced both on the many cars we've seen to bring power back(once the turbo, hoses and other things are declaimed fit)

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...acuum_control/

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...m_control_agr/

Both the offenders are labeled No1 in the diagram we replace a fair few pressure converters due to a lack of power once replaced cars restored to full health and not too expensive either at under £75+VAT.

Thing is difficult to prove without diagnostic bit someone with some know how will be able to narrow things down(you'll see a 3FF0 code with both of these so dint be fooled into believing your air mass meter is faulty.
      08-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Ben_g40
Rep

Hi,
Thanks for the response.
I have had the car on my diagnostics. It came back with a few faults but the most relevant seemed to be 4530 - Boost Pressure Control -'Positive Deviation. Is this linked to anything in particular?

Thanks again

Ben
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

I had this, but changed several things at once it will the following (i had just bought the car and wanted it in tip top condition after a fella taking it out noticed it wasnt boosting low down).

Vacuum pipes split or holes somewhere
The two pressure convertors which control the boost towards the back of the engine bay
Third more unlikely actuator rods or turbo issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
danb21t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Le Mans 335d M Sport

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=888567&page=2
      08-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Vinc3
Your Clothes Are Black!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d XDRIVE

Ben I had the same with my 123d. The KKK twin turbo setup on the earlier models is prone to turbo actuator failure. My issue was the turbo actuator on the main turbo sticking, but once it reached high boost the small second high pressure boost turbo kicked in. I had both actuators replaced. Actuators are otherwise known as solenoids. However the vacuum hoses perish over time, so if you're thinking of keeping the car and if it's over 5 years old, if be inclined to have them renewed too... HTH
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Ben_g40
Rep

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

I have renewed the pressure converters and all the vacuum hoses to no avail. The car still runs exactly the same.
I've done some data logging and as I thought there the engine is running at atmospheric pressure until the second turbo comes in.
There are some signs of oil around the small turbo which concerns me. I can't imagine that the turbo has failed though as there was no signs at all.
There is also signs of oil around the red boost pipe. I presume that if this had failed neither of the turbos would be boosting though.

Any ideas....? I haven't replaced the egr converter as yet.

What should I take as my next step? I don't want to just be trying loads more parts as I simply can't afford it at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Ben
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
Ben_g40
Rep

Just to add, the vacuum tank has a slight issue. The metal pipe seems to not have a good seal and slides back and forth within the tank itself. It is still providing some sort of seal I believe though.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
Ben_g40
Rep

RESOLVED

Turns out the vacuum tank wasn't making a seal. Bit of super glue saw to that and we have boost. A new tank to be ordered as I don't know if it should have that metal pipe in there or whether it's been bodged in the past.

Can't believe how many hours I've spent on it to find that it's so,etching so simple.

Live and learn

Thanks again

Ben
Appreciate 1
vazyx3.00