F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Should I buy this new (discounted) 2013 335i Sport?
Studio RSR

08-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

I currently own a 2006 e90 330i sport/6 speed manual with 148,000 miles, and I'm considering a replacement in the near future. My question is whether or not I should consider a new, heavily discounted 2013 335i Sport that doesn't quite have all of the features I'd like [in lieu of my original plan to find a used, low-mileage 2014 model in the next six months].

Here's a summary of the vehicle, which has a $9,000 discount:

2013 335i, Sport Line
Glacier Silver Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Anthracite Wood Trim (<--- I love this)
Dynamic Handling Package (<--- this is the real draw to me, fairly rare)
Premium Package
Technology Package
Sport Automatic Transmission
Harmon Kardon
Heated Front Seats
BMW Performance Brakes
BMW Perf Brake Red Calipers (<--- this was presumably a $2,5000 port install)

Pros:

It's available for $9,000 below list price

It has the Dynamic Handling Package
...this is conceptually a BIG deal to me; I like the idea of being able to adjust suspension settings between aggressive and comfort (and not just throttle/steering mapping). That being said, during my test drive I had a hard time telling the difference by seat of pants along the freeway when adjusting between settings, but I know it's not just the static issue but its ability to make adjustments during aggressive driving. It's also very rare and short of ordering a vehicle, it may be hard to come by.

It has the performance brakes and red calipers, which normally wouldn't be a big deal to me but it looks cool aesthetically, and I'm sure I would appreciate the performance

Cons:

It's not an M-Sport
...I realize it's fundamentally a cosmetic option, but I like an aggressively styled car. That being said, I'll admit I'm not really a fan of the M-Sport bumper, but I love the M-Sport steering wheel, which could be added (correct?). I also prefer the look of the standard sport wheels as opposed to the standard M-Sport wheels...but my favorite are the optional 403M wheels.

It's a 2013 model (and the 2015's are about to arrive)
...I wince a bit thinking about buying a new car that will essentially be 2 model years old in one month
...what updates would I be foregoing not getting a 2014 (I understand there may be some NAV differences?)

It doesn't have Active Cruise Control
...this isn't a huge priority, and I understand it's probably even MORE rare than the Dynamic Handling package, but after having experienced this in my wife's new Volvo XC60 R Design...wow, I love it.

It looks just like my current car
...I guess you could consider this a plus (stealth purchase), but my current 330i is Silver with black leather
...If I were ordering a setup, I'd probably either go with White/Dakota Red Leather or Estoril Blue/Ivory Leather

So...long post, but I'd welcome any recommendations you might have on pros/cons of these various features, as well as the price. I've posted a few pics I took today during my test drive.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
BMRGUY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

What's the price of the car? How many miles?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
jeff080
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 2015 328i

It looks really nice! I say if the price is right, go for it!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRGUY
What's the price of the car? How many miles?
240 miles...asking essentially $49,000.

...I'm just trying to decide if getting a new 2013 with a few compromises is better than a used 2014 (which would probably also include a few compromises).

Thanks.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Danman5666
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

That's a good looking 335.

MSRP on this is about $58,900, right? So you are getting $9k off, which is about 16% off of MRSP.

It's a good deal, but I've learned one thing about buying just a "good deal." You might be happy about the price you got, but if it doesn't have the options you want, you may not be happy in the long run. I buy my cars and expect to keep them a minimum of 5 years (or at least try to. ).

There is a big software difference between 2013 and 2014, including the touchpad controller regarding the Nav. You may want to check that out before your decision.

Honestly, I'd spec out (or try to find a 2014 that has what you want) one that you like and negotiate with one of our sponsors. Compare the difference and see what it really comes down to, I don't think it'll be that much.

Edit: Just read that you were comparing to a potentially used 2014 - so perhaps disregard my last line. She is beautiful, so I don't think it's a bad decision - just make sure you check it out and compare the 2013/2014 nav differences!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
It'll be a great car for whoever buys it. Will it keep you satisfied for the long term, after the appreciation for the dollar savings wears off?

One big question regarding its "newness" - has it been "punched"? Has the dealer reported it to BMWNA as a sold car in order to collect manufacturer incentives? The odds are high that it has. The warranty and maintenance clock starts ticking the day the car was "punched", so it may not be as "New" as it appears.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danman5666
That's a good looking 335.

MSRP on this is about $58,900, right? So you are getting $9k off, which is about 16% off of MRSP.

It's a good deal, but I've learned one thing about buying just a "good deal." You might be happy about the price you got, but if it doesn't have the options you want, you may not be happy in the long run. I buy my cars and expect to keep them a minimum of 5 years (or at least try to. ).

There is a big software difference between 2013 and 2014, including the touchpad controller regarding the Nav. You may want to check that out before your decision.

Honestly, I'd spec out (or try to find a 2014 that has what you want) one that you like and negotiate with one of our sponsors. Compare the difference and see what it really comes down to, I don't think it'll be that much.

Edit: Just read that you were comparing to a potentially used 2014 - so perhaps disregard my last line. She is beautiful, so I don't think it's a bad decision - just make sure you check it out and compare the 2013/2014 nav differences!
MSRP was $57,900...I tend to typically agree with your logic, which is why this is a bit of a dilemma for me. Why not spend $12 and be fully satisfied rather than spending $10 and feel like you wasted ten bucks? As you might note, I tend to keep my cars for a while as well!

I did just "build" a new 2015 online and it came to $57,800:

M-Sport
Alpine White/Dakota Coral Red Leather
Dynamic Handling Pkg
Technology
Premium
19" 403M Wheels
Sport Auto Trans
Active Cruise Control <---I thought I'd read you couldn't get this with M-Sport in the U.S. but it allowed this on the 2015 Build BMW website?
Enhanced USB/Bluetooth
Harmon Kardon

So...I could get a NEW 2015 exactly as I want it for the same list price as this 2013 Sport, at a premium of $9,000 (above the discounted 2013 price).

Hmmmm....

p.s. Can you elaborate on the new 2014 Nav/Tech features? I can't find any comprehensive list about the differences. I'm a tech guy, so this could be a big deal to me. That being said, I played around with it quite a bit today and it seemed pretty nice to me, high-res screen, etc.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider
It'll be a great car for whoever buys it. Will it keep you satisfied for the long term, after the appreciation for the dollar savings wears off?

One big question regarding its "newness" - has it been "punched"? Has the dealer reported it to BMWNA as a sold car in order to collect manufacturer incentives? The odds are high that it has. The warranty and maintenance clock starts ticking the day the car was "punched", so it may not be as "New" as it appears.
I'm unsure...you lost me here. Can you elaborate?

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Looks exactly like mine. I love it. It's handsome looking yet stealthy and the silver is easy to clean. My style.

Forego ACC, it's not a necessary option. I would shoot for a bigger discount, but I think it's a good deal overall. I'd ensure that the no-cost maintenance and warranty is still 4/50K.
      08-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I bought a car that was in a similar situation, I think you could go for a bigger discount. The car most likely has gone "in-service" or punched or whatever the terminology, but even with 1 less year the warranty is still very good. I had the dealer throw in an extra oil change since they couldn't re-start the warranty clock.

I wouldn't settle for an automatic though, but you didn't mention that and I bring it up just because you're coming from a 6MT.

I agree it looks really great in silver, and honestly I'd venture that it's going to be a relatively rare color. White and Estoril blue are so common with this generation, and I think white makes it look too feminine unless you really add on the exterior tweaks.

Getting a lightly used 2014 in the near future, with the specific options you want, might be more difficult than you think. Then you could end up kicking yourself for not making this grab. Last point, I will suggest that DHP is not that rare, or seems to at least be on half the cars out there if not more. That said, it really is a great feature.

I say go for it but don't make it too easy for the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #11
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore
I bought a car that was in a similar situation, I think you could go for a bigger discount. The car most likely has gone "in-service" or punched or whatever the terminology, but even with 1 less year the warranty is still very good. I had the dealer throw in an extra oil change since they couldn't re-start the warranty clock.

I wouldn't settle for an automatic though, but you didn't mention that and I bring it up just because you're coming from a 6MT.

I agree it looks really great in silver, and honestly I'd venture that it's going to be a relatively rare color. White and Estoril blue are so common with this generation, and I think white makes it look too feminine unless you really add on the exterior tweaks.

Getting a lightly used 2014 in the near future, with the specific options you want, might be more difficult than you think. Then you could end up kicking yourself for not making this grab. Last point, I will suggest that DHP is not that rare, or seems to at least be on half the cars out there if not more. That said, it really is a great feature.

I say go for it but don't make it too easy for the dealer.
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that you brought up the transmission. I've always driven manuals and would again except for two reasons: the reputation of the 8 speed is excellent and my spouse can't (or won't) drive my car and that makes for a bit of a headache at times when I need to use her SUV.

As far as Dynamic Handling, my research has shown they're quite rare...this is the only one at this dealer and even an anecdotal review of Autotrader seems to reveal their scarcity. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. You've loved your experience with it?

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

So you're saving $9k off of a 2 yr old car that probably only has two years worth of warranty left. You do realize that you can easily get a $4-5k off a new 2014? So essentially you're only saving a $3-4k but foregoing half you're warranty and maintenance. But most importantly is that it's not equipped as you want. Get the m sport. The steering wheel alone is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #13
penet05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sdrive35i, 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt
So you're saving $9k off of a 2 yr old car that probably only has two years worth of warranty left. You do realize that you can easily get a $4-5k off a new 2014? So essentially you're only saving a $3-4k but foregoing half you're warranty and maintenance. But most importantly is that it's not equipped as you want. Get the m sport. The steering wheel alone is worth it.
I agree with this post. However, I also know if you are dealing with BMW of Little Rock, it is also next to impossible to score a decent deal. Therefore, reach out one of the sponsors and build the car you want it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 01:12 AM   #14
F30MSPORT12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

The warranty and maintenance starts the day you buy the car, if it's new. If a car sits on the lot, the warranty doesn't run out because they can't sell it. That doesn't even make sense. So it is 4yr/50k miles from purchase date. But like I said, this applies if they are selling it as a new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:29 AM   #15
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
MSRP was $57,900...I tend to typically agree with your logic, which is why this is a bit of a dilemma for me. Why not spend $12 and be fully satisfied rather than spending $10 and feel like you wasted ten bucks? As you might note, I tend to keep my cars for a while as well!

I did just "build" a new 2015 online and it came to $57,800:

M-Sport
Alpine White/Dakota Coral Red Leather
Dynamic Handling Pkg
Technology
Premium
19" 403M Wheels
Sport Auto Trans
Active Cruise Control <---I thought I'd read you couldn't get this with M-Sport in the U.S. but it allowed this on the 2015 Build BMW website?
Enhanced USB/Bluetooth
Harmon Kardon

So...I could get a NEW 2015 exactly as I want it for the same list price as this 2013 Sport, at a premium of $9,000 (above the discounted 2013 price).

Hmmmm....

p.s. Can you elaborate on the new 2014 Nav/Tech features? I can't find any comprehensive list about the differences. I'm a tech guy, so this could be a big deal to me. That being said, I played around with it quite a bit today and it seemed pretty nice to me, high-res screen, etc.
My recommendation, order a new 2015 with exactly what you want on it. A used car, even BMW CPO can come with all kinds of issues. I got my 2014 custom ordered for nearly $10,000 off MSRP (63,500 MSRP I paid $54,250). The dealers should be able to work with you to get a bit of a discount on a new car, although not as much. You should easily be able to get 5-6% off with incentives. So pay a couple thousand more and get exactly what you want, and one that is 2 years newer. You won't be sorry.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:33 AM   #16
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
Looks exactly like mine. I love it. It's handsome looking yet stealthy and the silver is easy to clean. My style.

Forego ACC, it's not a necessary option. I would shoot for a bigger discount, but I think it's a good deal overall. I'd ensure that the no-cost maintenance and warranty is still 4/50K.
Nothing is a necessary option. I have ACC and I love it. I use it mostly in traffic that around here can be especially annoying. I get too frustrated hitting the brake every 5 seconds and the ACC works perfectly and just makes for a more relaxing time in traffic. If you like it on your wife's car, definitely get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #17
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post

Nothing is a necessary option. I have ACC and I love it. I use it mostly in traffic that around here can be especially annoying. I get too frustrated hitting the brake every 5 seconds and the ACC works perfectly and just makes for a more relaxing time in traffic. If you like it on your wife's car, definitely get it.
Having experienced ACC on my wife's new Volvo, my conclusion is based as much on SAFETY as it is convenience. Yes, it's super convenient, but realizing that the car is always watching the traffic ahead, even if something distracts your attention, is a HUGE deal, and something I think that's under appreciated about these. It's one thing for me to describe, and another for you to have experienced first-hand.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #18
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Wow, many thanks for the great feedback. I was looking for varying paths of logic here about pro:cons, and you've been super helpful. Specifically, I think omaralt and Mobster1983 hit it on the head by pointing out that a new car would also have a discount (so the delta isn't really $9K), would be two years newer and equipped as I see fit. Great points in making an argument for a new car. On the other hand, I think others have affirmed that this is a very good comparison to a used 2014, in that I'm getting a new (or more accurately "un-used") car for close to the price of a slightly used 2014 - either of which would likely have feature compromises.

I'll keep giving it some thought!

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #19
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
You will NEVER be happy if you don't have what you want. Even though it's brand new to you, it's not brand new. You seem particular about your choices, I'd get exactly what you want, otherwise you'll be sitting around saying "why didn't I just wait".

Wait for the 2015s to come out. They simultaneously have decent deals on the 2015, and spectacular deals on 2014s. Let that make your decision for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #20
Bassthe1st
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i xDrive M Sport

If not too late:

What I can say is I had a similar choice to make. I had a good deal on a 2013 so I jumped on it. Now, after reading the review and looking at the newer cars I kind of wish I had wait a little. The 2014 and up cars were improved and seem to be way better than the 2012/13. I guess the ''don't buy first year'' rule is really ''don't buy first 2 years'' for BMW. So yes the price is good, but the 2015 are almost out so you should be able to get a good deal on a 2014 very soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #21
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

I wouldn't get a BMW without NBT because I'm a techie, but it certainly looks like a beautiful buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
I would wait and get a 14 or 15.

When I first shopped for my car last year, the 14s were just trickling in. The dealer gave me what I thought was a good deal on a 13. But I did some more research and ordered a 14 instead with a forum sponsor for a price that was better than what the dealer gave me for the 13.

On a separate note, I have ACC on my car and after 9 months with it, I cant live without it! As you mentioned, ACC and DHP are some of the most seldom ordered options for dealer lots.

Based on the above, I would rush to grab a spot at a UDE for the coupon and order a 15.