F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Spare Tire Solution
GetBMWParts

08-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Lazynok
Rep
Drives: 14 335i gt

Spare Tire Solution

To anybody who is afraid of getting a flat on your run flats in the middle of the desert or anybody with non run flats (me) this is for you.

I've been doing heavy research on what people do with flats and this is the best I could come up with.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561806
Pieces to build a spare tire to fit our cars

Since going to 20" wheels with nnon run flats, the thought of a flat is a scary thing. Even if I had run flats, my research shows bmw sos tends to suck, and especially if you're in the middle of nowhere on the weekend (which is when I take my road trips. Read some horror stories online. People taking planes home and leaving car, cars not getting new tires until Tuesday, 5 hour waits for a tow, etc)

So get a spare! You never know what might happen. (or at least slime or a plug kit. My tires have road hazard warranty so I might as well just put the spare and get a free tire!)

When oh when will bmw give us an option for a spare? ;(
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
Verminator
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT

So has anyone successfully added a spare tire to your F34? How well does it fit under the rear storage floor panel? Are there inserts available for our body style? I've seen the F30 threads but I'd like to know how it would work with the F34. If I go this route eventually I'd like the spare to fit completely under the floor panel.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I have one of these:
https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-spare-tire-b36000178

Despite being a compact spare it does not fit under the floor panel. For around town driving I don't bother carrying it. I toss it in the back when I'm taking a longer trip.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Nice solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I have one of these:
https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-spare-tire-b36000178

Despite being a compact spare it does not fit under the floor panel. For around town driving I don't bother carrying it. I toss it in the back when I'm taking a longer trip.
Yep, this is a good solution.
Bimmerzone sells a similar kit but includes a jack and tools too for about $100 more.

Smart buy all the way around. Run flats are great for nails and such, but tire shredding blowouts will leave you completely stranded.

The other bonus, if you ever decide to run a "regular" performance tire, well you can run a regular performance tire and save about $400.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Another plus to the spare is that it you get a nail in your run flat you can change to the spare before you damage the sidewall of the run flat, so you don't have to buy a new tire. A few weeks ago a minute or two after leaving my garage I got a low pressure warning, showing one tire down to 7.5 PSI. I turned around and drove home. I pulled the wheel and took it into my basement to fix it, being too cold in the garage. I found and pulled out a nail, plugged the leak and put the wheel back on the car. It hasn't lost any pressure since then, and there are no sidewall bubbles. That saved me $180. Since this happened close to home I didn't use the spare, but if it had happened away from home I would have used the spare to get me home, rather than chance sidewall damage to the run flat.
Appreciate 1