E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cobb and JB4 query

08-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 Sport

Cobb and JB4 query

Can anyone describe for me the benefits of doing both of these in tandem? I am leaning towards Cobb as my choice but just wondering for future reference.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
HCGxKaLiBeR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54 335i Convertible

I would pick Cobb even is more expensive.

You just need to plugin to the OBD port under the driver's side. Very easy to install and uninstall.

Performance wise I'm not sure. I never tried JB4. I would assume they are pretty much the same. I also think Cobb has more options and very user friendly.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

If you stack both the Cobb and JB4, you're getting the best of both worlds. Jb4 offers in-dash boost gauges, map5 auto tuning, and on the fly map switching. The Cobb, since it's a flash tune, has access tables that piggy backs do not such as extra fueling controls.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbarnes4ever View Post
Can anyone describe for me the benefits of doing both of these in tandem? I am leaning towards Cobb as my choice but just wondering for future reference.
quick summary:
Jb4 controls boost very well, lots of features, switching maps on the fly, gauge hijack, 1st and 2nd gear boost limit,etc...

Cobb has access to ignition advance, afr,fuel,etc...

JB4 will give you more power with OTS maps, also less expensive.

at the end of the day you cannot go wrong with either, they will both provide a lot of power. I personally run run both at the same time on my car

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

I have Cobb installed on mine, but have never had JB4:

Pros:
- Plug and Play (no installation)
- You now have gauges and can read codes with your AP
- Uninstall is simple, just press a button to return to stock

Cons:
- Flashing your system takes time, it is recommended that you connect your battery to a power source. (10-15min I believe)
- Unable to change maps on the fly, on a long trip you might want a little boost but you would have to pull over and remap it
- I do not believe the Cobb team is as responsive when replying to emails or as helpful.
- About twice the price if you buy new, but I purchased mine used for a good deal. (check the forums)

In the end you have to ask yourself whether you are just looking for a moderate amount of extra power but you still want to revert to stock quickly (COBB), or do you want the car to be as fast as it can be and you are confident in your DIY abilities enough to deal with any complications (JB4)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post

Pros:

Cons:
- Flashing your system takes time, it is recommended that you connect your battery to a power source. (10-15min I believe)
- Unable to change maps on the fly, on a long trip you might want a little boost but you would have to pull over and remap it
- I do not believe the Cobb team is as responsive when replying to emails or as helpful.
- About twice the price if you buy new, but I purchased mine used for a good deal. (check the forums)

In the end you have to ask yourself whether you are just looking for a moderate amount of extra power but you still want to revert to stock quickly (COBB), or do you want the car to be as fast as it can be and you are confident in your DIY abilities enough to deal with any complications (JB4)
Appreciate all the feedback guys....I'm going to start with Cobb as I have a tuner shop in Cincy so pro tuning options are available within an hour of home and I'll likely be iterating my buildup a piece or two at a time. I love the full control of a/f and ignition maps associated with a reflash and the quick access via OBD II port. I would love if it had a learn mode ala Map 5 on JB4...but presumably that is irrelevant if you get a custom tune after building up the vehicle, correct?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Appreciate all the feedback guys....I'm going to start with Cobb as I have a tuner shop in Cincy so pro tuning options are available within an hour of home and I'll likely be iterating my buildup a piece or two at a time. I love the full control of a/f and ignition maps associated with a reflash and the quick access via OBD II port. I would love if it had a learn mode ala Map 5 on JB4...but presumably that is irrelevant if you get a custom tune after building up the vehicle, correct?
Map 5 is different because it can adjust to octane in the fuel where the cobb can't automatically.

Last edited by drewnel22; 08-15-2014 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
Map 5 is different because it can adjust to octane in the fuel where the cobb can't automatically.
Nod, I'm just not sure I would get the JB4 just to have that flexibility....isn't the anti knock system along with full ignition advance control sufficient to adjust to octane levels anyway? I thought Map 5 monitored and adjusted to other things as well besides octane.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Nod, I'm just not sure I would get the JB4 just to have that flexibility....isn't the anti knock system along with full ignition advance control sufficient to adjust to octane levels anyway? I thought Map 5 monitored and adjusted to other things as well besides octane.
It does...I just forgot what the others were.

From Burger Tuning website:
Quote:
an auto tuning map that adjusts the JB4 mapping to your current climate, octane, vehicle condition, and modifications continuously
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
alexg212
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe/Mustang Gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post

Pros:

Cons:

The initial install takes about 10 minutes. Now when I change maps it's a few minutes. On the ap v3 at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg212 View Post
The initial install takes about 10 minutes. Now when I change maps it's a few minutes. On the ap v3 at least.
True, I think it is the backup of the stock ECU that takes a majority of the time. Not 100% sure though.
      08-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
Nati0n
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

JB4 man... I agree with the above statement that Cobb is good for some quick flash tuning power but the fact that JB4 supports things like progressive meth on Map 3 and even going as big as single or hybrid turbo. Cobb runs more boost as I understand it in comparison to JB4, but I've been told they cushion that with richer fuel mixtures so longevity isn't as much of an issue and your AFRs are about perfect especially at elevation.

However, every N54 guy I know around here swears by JB4 and I think it's generally the better setup though I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Appreciate 0