F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > one week in, 2 problems....
GetBMWParts

08-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

one week in, 2 problems....

sigh one week in and two problems already..

1) front bumper cam stopped working today, the yellow guideline and a very faint white-ish image remains but it's simply not working

2) nail in front left tire.. i wonder if the two things failed at the same time...

Dealer is closed today, so now I am just praying that the camera is a short fix in the dealer and the tire is fixable Such a shame cuz this really is a beautiful car!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
bonabono
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

The nail is in the very fixable position.
My right rear tire was nailed in the first month of ownership.
It's for getting a new car during the construction season I suppose.

The camera - faulty wire perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonabono View Post
The nail is in the very fixable position.
My right rear tire was nailed in the first month of ownership.
It's for getting a new car during the construction season I suppose.

The camera - faulty wire perhaps?
Well they say there are 2 seasons in Ottawa: winter and construction season

Thanks for sharing your experience, I will take it to a Canadian Tire or something tomorrow. Or is it better off to buy the kit and do it myself? Do I have to pull the wheel off to repair?

Camera worked fine as of yesterday IIRC, but it's probably like you said, wiring/electrical problem. Should be a warrenty item regardless so no biggie there, I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
jhynes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335 xDrive M Perf Ed -LSB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post

Thanks for sharing your experience, I will take it to a Canadian Tire or something tomorrow. Or is it better off to buy the kit and do it myself? Do I have to pull the wheel off to repair?

Camera worked fine as of yesterday IIRC, but it's probably like you said, wiring/electrical problem. Should be a warrenty item regardless so no biggie there, I think.
Take it to a proper tire shop. I wouldn't do this myself, and I would avoid Crappy Tire - I've had friends who've had issues (like damage to rims). It's inconvenient but for the price you paid for the car it's worth having this repaired correctly. My $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhynes View Post
Take it to a proper tire shop. I wouldn't do this myself, and I would avoid Crappy Tire - I've had friends who've had issues (like damage to rims). It's inconvenient but for the price you paid for the car it's worth having this repaired correctly. My $0.02.
Ya only brought CT up cuz a lot of places I've searched close on Sundays. Hopefully I don't have to resort to CT. So many of the technicians are just high school kids in apprenticeship
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #6
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

You didn't buy the tire insurance? I always buy it because here the roads are horrible. I got a nail in the tire the first month I owned it, and four months later completely blew another tire. Both tires replaced completely. $50 deductible for $450 of work. One more in the next four years and the insurance pays for itself. ��
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #7
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
You didn't buy the tire insurance? I always buy it because here the roads are horrible. I got a nail in the tire the first month I owned it, and four months later completely blew another tire. Both tires replaced completely. $50 deductible for $450 of work. One more in the next four years and the insurance pays for itself. ��
Nah I considered it but didn't pull the trigger in the end. Did buy excessive wear and tire tho. So if another tire completely fail on me, I will just buy another set of non RFT and return these at lease end. Price work out around the same here in Canada for something like a set of Michelin PSS.
      08-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

I got a nail in the same spot. I yanked mine out no problems. Which part of ottawa r u in? Im in Orleans
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #9
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
I got a nail in the same spot. I yanked mine out no problems. Which part of ottawa r u in? Im in Orleans
Good to know! Now I am feeling a lot better about this one..

And I am in Nepean, but frequent Orleans quite often. May have bumped into your EBII on the 174 before, the color just pops
      08-10-2014, 06:02 AM   #10
NOBLE MOTORCARS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i (ON A BOAT)

Garage List
If it makes you feel any better I got my car 4 days ago and yesterday morning I drove to work and as soon as I pulled up bird takes the biggest diarrhea shit all over my hood and windshield
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
egon0119
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I can't find the threads now but a few of us have that sort of issue with the side cameras. Coincidentally I also had the issue with my front-left camera.

Over a few visits my dealer replaced the camera module and the camera itself before noticing corrosion in the connectors. One camera cable replacement later and the problem hasn't returned.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
LOL Hockey used to be one of those seasons too but since we got Spezza, hockey season may be short in OTTON? Go Stars!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lPandaBearl View Post
If it makes you feel any better I got my car 4 days ago and yesterday morning I drove to work and as soon as I pulled up bird takes the biggest diarrhea shit all over my hood and windshield
LOL birds just don't give a damn eh. Instead of bumper cams BMW should install rooftop cams and warning sonars for incoming avian bombing runs
      08-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze4eMCe View Post
LOL Hockey used to be one of those seasons too but since we got Spezza, hockey season may be short in OTTON? Go Stars!
LOL not to mention Ottawa have a new football team again.. tbh i don't get it, who actually watches CFL....

Quote:
Originally Posted by egon0119 View Post
I can't find the threads now but a few of us have that sort of issue with the side cameras. Coincidentally I also had the issue with my front-left camera.

Over a few visits my dealer replaced the camera module and the camera itself before noticing corrosion in the connectors. One camera cable replacement later and the problem hasn't returned.
Thanks for sharing. I will keep this in mind when visiting the dealer early next week.
      08-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by egon0119 View Post

Gotta love how they replaced those parts without ever determining if they were actually the problem. Anyone remember when "techs" were expected to possess basic troubleshooting skills?
Appreciate 0