F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Thinking about attending a BMW CCA driver school event
ARMA SPEED

08-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Thinking about attending a BMW CCA driver school event

Any BMW warranty issues from tracking the car? It's a CPO.

Do I need separate track insurance for that day?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Don't think about it, do it!

You can't go wrong with extra insurance since most regular policies won't cover you on a track.

http://www.locktonmotorsports.com/pr...ack-insurance/
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I heard it is an unforgettable experience

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Your insurance policy will most likely not hold up, even though it's not a timed event or race.

Here's my advice: you'll have an instructor, you'll be in a beginner group, there will be extremely conservative passing rules and specific places where you're allowed to pass, you have so much to learn that trying to push the car and get the best lap times will be extremely low on the priority list, tracks *usually* have very safe runoffs.

The real issue to be concerned with is your brakes...in general, street brakes are not designed to dissipate the heat you'll put into the system during a 20 minute lapping session. I would recommend flushing your system with some high performance fluid, like RBF600. Worth the $100 or whatever it'll run you. If I were you, I'd probably also run with some traction control enabled.

On the other hand, having a totaled car could be financially devastating. Most track guys who regularly go have dedicated cars, whether they drive to the event, or trailer them in. I personally would not pay for the insurance, just save the $400 and try to keep the car at 8/10.

But shit can happen, here's me at Waterford Hills after my brake pads started visibly smoking and stopped working, luckily walked away with no damage.

After that "incident", this upgrade was a must for me
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

^^^

SWEET! Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Looking forward to this! Is this a beginning to a blossoming career in international professional formula one racing success? Perhaps filled with multi-million dollar bonuses and pictures with models on the podium? Maybe a sponsorship from BMW? Ferrari?

I guess I shouldn't get carried away, huh.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Your insurance policy will most likely not hold up, even though it's not a timed event or race.

Just watched the video. YIKES! Scary moments I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I've done a couple of CCA track events, one with my E36 at Laguna Seca and another with my E46 at Phoenix International Raceway. Stock brakes were fine both times, although those were relatively light cars compared to the F30. The truth is, as a beginner you won't be going fast enough to give the brakes a good workout until late the 2nd day. And even if you turn to be the next Schumacher, the other novices in your group will hold you up.

I personally didn't do any extra insurance, but it's not a bad idea. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
Lafinkel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i M Sport

I recently signed up for a track day in October at summit point in WV. I'll have my new 435GC for 2 months by then. However the more I learn about the event, the more reluctant I become. I heard the track destroys tires. I don't want to ruin brand new tires or smash my new car. My objective in signing up for this event was to push my car in a safe environment, but not be aggressive. I've never tracked a car before.

Should I be concerned?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafinkel View Post
I recently signed up for a track day in October at summit point in WV. I'll have my new 435GC for 2 months by then. However the more I learn about the event, the more reluctant I become. I heard the track destroys tires. I don't want to ruin brand new tires or smash my new car. My objective in signing up for this event was to push my car in a safe environment, but not be aggressive. I've never tracked a car before.

Should I be concerned?
If you do a HPDE with a club, I would not be worried. You can always check out the track/autocross subforum and see how other F30's are fairing on stock brakes/tires. There's a nice HPDE put on by ACNA at VIR in November http://www.audiclubpcc.org/events/fa...ivers-school-1. I'd go if it wasn't so far from home
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

BTW, any BMW CPO warranty issues? Will they not cover certain failures if they have any proof or evidence of track use?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
BTW, any BMW CPO warranty issues? Will they not cover certain failures if they have any proof or evidence of track use?
How would they have "proof or evidence" of track use? Maybe some worn out sidewall, but you could just be hammering the car on some back roads. But I wouldn't expect them to fix anything of the wear/tear nature, some BMW track guys I know are pretty cool with their dealer and they get free pad replacements. But that all depends on your relationship with them. And if you damage the car, then warranty claiming it or fraudulently filing an insurance claim is your own business.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I've done a couple of CCA track events, one with my E36 at Laguna Seca and another with my E46 at Phoenix International Raceway. Stock brakes were fine both times, although those were relatively light cars compared to the F30. The truth is, as a beginner you won't be going fast enough to give the brakes a good workout until late the 2nd day. And even if you turn to be the next Schumacher, the other novices in your group will hold you up.

This is usually true and the hardware is fine, but sometimes beginners while going slower do actually over-use and overheat the brakes relative to those going faster. In any case, it's always a good idea to do a fluid change as a safeguard against stock fluid boiling over.
      08-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #14
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
This is usually true and the hardware is fine, but sometimes beginners while going slower do actually over-use and overheat the brakes relative to those going faster. In any case, it's always a good idea to do a fluid change as a safeguard against stock fluid boiling over.
This is a good point - I did change my brake fluid before the track event both times, and would definitely recommend it if your brake fluid is over 12 months old.

With regards to the other poster that mentioned tires - speaking again as a relative novice, I would say I probably scrubbed off about 10-20% of my tire's life over the course of the weekend. In the scheme of things it's not all much.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #15
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafinkel View Post

Should I be concerned?
Not at all, especially with the BMW CCA. IME with the SF and Phoenix chapters they're very well run and the instructors are pretty conservative.

You'll drive the speed you're comfortable with. Nobody will be telling you to go faster. When people want to pass you just point them by. The emphasis is on learning how to drive and learning the track, not on going fast. I remember getting in an awesome 4-wheel drift around a wide turn but man my instructor was sooooo pissed he yelled at me for a while
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
The truth is, as a beginner you won't be going fast enough to give the brakes a good workout until late the 2nd day. And even if you turn to be the next Schumacher, the other novices in your group will hold you up.

this.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #17
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328i M Sport

Great topic, I'm headed to ours at mid ohio in oct! Great responses so far..my goal is to kill these RFs asap
      08-06-2014, 05:03 AM   #18
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

On the topic of tracking your BMW, how well does the powder-coating on the M-Sport Brakes hold-up to +400*F?

My current track car, a Honda S2000, has the calipers powder-coated with a hi-temp black color. They've held up very well. But of course, it's just black too.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #19
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ah so that's what's on the brakes. Powder coat and a clear coat I assume?
      08-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #20
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
Great topic, I'm headed to ours at mid ohio in oct! Great responses so far..my goal is to kill these RFs asap
Awesome! I was just there 1.5 weeks ago for a 2 day event. What an incredible track and facility, they just hosted the Indy 200 last weekend. Was quite a rush to see those cars running 1:05 laps while I was doing like 1:50

You going with Buckeye BMW? Heard they are a great group to run with. Here's some shots of my trip there:

Here's me after tech (wish it was the P lol)

Lots of GT3's

Open wheel Ferrari race car, sounded incredible

I've been looking really hard for a good e46 M3 track car, would love something like this
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #21
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Awesome! I was just there 1.5 weeks ago for a 2 day event. What an incredible track and facility, they just hosted the Indy 200 last weekend. Was quite a rush to see those cars running 1:05 laps while I was doing like 1:50

You going with Buckeye BMW? Heard they are a great group to run with.
Yeah it's amazing, I'm very lucky to live 45 minutes from there. I'll bet! 2 guys from work are in the pits as a side job every weekend, I love the videos/sound clips they send me! I'll have to run around with a rag in my pocket so I can wipe the drool off all the Porsches.

Yeah I need to join and all that, but yep going with Buckeye. Hoping to meet some of them at Cars/Coffee this Sat. My brother in law will join me too in Oct, he has a Z35. Just sold his e46 M3 due to higher mileage SMG issues. The Z is sweet but I think he'll regret that decision when he gets up there!

I'm looking forward to putting the M Performance Suspension on the edge, I've broken it loose a couple times around here on traffic circles and what not and am impressed but the track will really show its strengths/weaknesses.

I'm worried about brakes though, hopefully the larger M Sports will be enough, but I might have to change out pads/fluid for this to be on the safe side.
      08-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #22
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
Yeah it's amazing, I'm very lucky to live 45 minutes from there. I'll bet! 2 guys from work are in the pits as a side job every weekend, I love the videos/sound clips they send me! I'll have to run around with a rag in my pocket so I can wipe the drool off all the Porsches.

Yeah I need to join and all that, but yep going with Buckeye. Hoping to meet some of them at Cars/Coffee this Sat. My brother in law will join me too in Oct, he has a Z35. Just sold his e46 M3 due to higher mileage SMG issues. The Z is sweet but I think he'll regret that decision when he gets up there!

I'm looking forward to putting the M Performance Suspension on the edge, I've broken it loose a couple times around here on traffic circles and what not and am impressed but the track will really show its strengths/weaknesses.

I'm worried about brakes though, hopefully the larger M Sports will be enough, but I might have to change out pads/fluid for this to be on the safe side.
Mid-Ohio is easy on brakes. I wouldn't be worried, maybe flush fluid to be safe. In my opinion there is only one "major" brake zone, and that's after the big straight. You could argue into the carousel. They will likely have you run the "extra" section between turn 1 and the keyhole, which will cap speeds.

Interestingly, reaching higher speeds is usually better for the brakes...gives sufficient airflow over the rotors. Slow tracks with tons of brake zones with undulating terrain have proven to be the worst in my experience (such as my Waterford Hills incident above).

Honestly, Mid-Ohio is a great track because it has both butt puckering speed but really rewards a great driver who can carry speed. Everything from the straight till the carousel is incredibly undulating and technical. You'll have a blast.

I had a really conservative instructor who kept me pretty in check. Never really figured out turn 1, which was the scariest part of the track for me. Seems like it will take quite a few trips to feel completely comfortable with the line at Mid-Ohio. That bridge just has a psychological effect on capping speed
Appreciate 0