F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Updates from BMW
ARMA SPEED

08-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
KGIL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335

Updates from BMW

All of us live in the world whereby updates are regularly done on our computers/phones/tablets. It's kind of been this way for a number of years. Being that our cars are now basically really nice computers with wheels, is it unrealistic to expect the same service for updates?

I have a '12 335 w/ ZTP Tech Pkg and Enhanced BT with an iPhone 5S. I understand it super-cool features like pressing and holding the phone button on the steering wheel will not activate SIRI (which would be really nice), as that may be a hardware issue. However, incoming texts should be visible, shouldn't they?

I sort of wish Office would work, but I'm not going to read e-mails on iDrive. Might be nice to just have the option, though. iOS8 is going to be out soon enough. I just have this feeling if we haven't seen iDrive accept a few basic features of iOS7, we're not that likely to see further updates.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
F30N55
Rep
Drives: F30N55

Yes, it is realistic to expect a luxury automaker to employ a team dedicated to updating software technology as often as the tech companies with which it's intending to make its cars interact. I too have a '12 335i with tech and bluetooth package. I cannot play squat from my phone via bluetooth. This is a $50,000 car....the "ultimate driving machine." In my book, the ultimate driving machine would include software updates as often as iPhone, Android, etc updates. GM, Ford, and Chrysler all provide many models with tech/bluetooth/etc standard. At this point, we are just blowing hot air because BMW isn't going to read this and give us our wishes. I hate complaining without offering a solution. There appears not to be a solution at this point. I asked my local BMW dealer about the bluetooth/tech issues with BMWs and he was diplomatic in his answer that essentially said, "I know it sucks, but it's just the way BMW is."
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
KGIL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30N55 View Post
I cannot play squat from my phone via bluetooth. ."
FWIW, the Enhanced BT works pretty awesome in my car. I mostly listen to Pandora, though and I think it integrates well. All the song info displays appropriately. Yours should work well if you've got the En. BT feature.
      08-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

BMW does support iDrive and technology, but ONLY until they seem to release a new iDrive system

CIC iDrive (what you have in 2013's or older) are pretty much no longer being supported, which is incredibly frustrating. NBT iDrive (2014+) is receiving updates for functionality though.

What's more annoying, is that you can't even update the hardware without paying a fortune or ruining the iDrive computer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
KGIL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Swell.

I'll tell you......if someone could figure out a few tech updates via USB or something, they could make themselves some coin. I wish we could program the "voice control" button to do this. I find that feature pretty useless.
      08-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
cwazy1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

my idrive displays text messages... technically I dont even have teck package or nav, I just coded in EBT.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

There are two types of updates that can be applied to recent BMWs...ones relating to iDrive and other individual modules throughout the car, and ones for Bluetooth and USB compatability. The latter you can do yourself through bmw.com/update, but the former is only ever done in relation to a technician troubleshooting an issue. It can (and does) happen where a technician begins flashing a software update to a car that for one reason or another gets interrupted and bricks a module. If this software update were being performed at the customer's request and the car is out of warranty, that puts the dealership in a crappy situation where they have to tell the customer that this seemingly innocuous software update is now going to cost them $2-3-4k.

One thing BMW just doesn't do, unfortunately, is release updates that add functionality to a car that didn't have it previously. People want it, for sure, but there must just be some logistical issues with doing so that we don't know about that prevent BMW from being able to roll out things like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazy1 View Post
my idrive displays text messages... technically I dont even have teck package or nav, I just coded in EBT.
That's one way of doing it.

Coding aside (a lot is possible if you get into coding, but not everyone is willing to do it), if your iDrive home screen says "Office" (rather than "Contacts) you car has the ability to display messages from certain phones. With the iPhone, the car can only display the text messages that come in while you're driving, for that one trip. Next time you start your car, any texts that you received last time you drove it won't show up in the car. For this to work, all you have to do is have Office enabled in the car (go into Bluetooth, hit Option, then Configure Bluetooth), then turn on "Show Notifications" from within the options screen for your car's entry in the Bluetooth menu on your phone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
cwazy1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Yup, best feature ever! Quickly glancing at the text through idrive is far more safe than whipping out the phone from the pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBMWBrian View Post
That's one way of doing it.

Coding aside (a lot is possible if you get into coding, but not everyone is willing to do it), if your iDrive home screen says "Office" (rather than "Contacts) you car has the ability to display messages from certain phones. With the iPhone, the car can only display the text messages that come in while you're driving, for that one trip. Next time you start your car, any texts that you received last time you drove it won't show up in the car. For this to work, all you have to do is have Office enabled in the car (go into Bluetooth, hit Option, then Configure Bluetooth), then turn on "Show Notifications" from within the options screen for your car's entry in the Bluetooth menu on your phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
KGIL
Enlisted Member
Rep

OBMWBrian, does that work on the CIC (2012 MY) or is it only on NBT? I've got Office, so I'll go give it a test. For some reason, I thought this only applied to settings on the phone itself.

cwazy1 - I usually find my phone in my pocket, as well and I don't care to try to pry it out while driving. I figure the message can wait. I just REALLY wish I could just push a button and say "read text". You know.....like any Ford, Chevy or KIA does.

Thnx.
      08-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It should work on a MY2012 F30. To be honest most cars I've seen it works well and on others it just doesn't work. Haven't figured out any rhyme or reason why in those cases.

Once you enable "Show Notifications," the feature will not work until the car has gone through a full power cycle. Not just turning it off and locking the doors, it has to sit for a while, off and locked, then come back on.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
KGIL
Enlisted Member
Rep

OBMWBrian - yep, you're right. Works just fine. Me happy. Thanks. Messages is kind of a pain to get to, but I finally found a use for Voice Command.