F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Restricted torque in 1st gear?
GetBMWParts

08-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Ross_T_Boss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Restricted torque in 1st gear?

I've finally broken the 1,000 barrier and have given the car a bit of a thrashing

I've been giving it a bit more stick since the past few hundred miles. Interesting the mpg is creeping up, it was 29mpg for 500 miles and now 32.5, and 38 on the last tank (about 50% short, cold runs).

I gave it a few blasts during run-in and noted that it wasn't as quick as a courtesy 335d I had but I think that complaint is history - it has a real punch when you nail it - in 2nd onwards. I had a late drive home last night and did a few green-light launches (not with LC) and I would say in 2/3 (20-60) it is as quick as my old RS6, very impressive. However in 1st it's a bit lacking; as soon as it hits 2nd it has an extra dollop of torque. Putting the sport dials on confirms this, it just isn't pulling max torque or power in 1st gear.

It would make sense to save the gearbox from eating itself and perhaps this is where launch control comes in... Has anyone else noticed this or can confirm it with a bit of a play with the sport dials on? I'd like to know if this is normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_T_Boss View Post
I've finally broken the 1,000 barrier and have given the car a bit of a thrashing

I've been giving it a bit more stick since the past few hundred miles. Interesting the mpg is creeping up, it was 29mpg for 500 miles and now 32.5, and 38 on the last tank (about 50% short, cold runs).

I gave it a few blasts during run-in and noted that it wasn't as quick as a courtesy 335d I had but I think that complaint is history - it has a real punch when you nail it - in 2nd onwards. I had a late drive home last night and did a few green-light launches (not with LC) and I would say in 2/3 (20-60) it is as quick as my old RS6, very impressive. However in 1st it's a bit lacking; as soon as it hits 2nd it has an extra dollop of torque. Putting the sport dials on confirms this, it just isn't pulling max torque or power in 1st gear.

It would make sense to save the gearbox from eating itself and perhaps this is where launch control comes in... Has anyone else noticed this or can confirm it with a bit of a play with the sport dials on? I'd like to know if this is normal.
Not sure about the 335d but if I'm not mistaken, the 330d is torque restricted in 1st and 2nd gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post
Not sure about the 335d but if I'm not mistaken, the 330d is torque restricted in 1st and 2nd gear.
Isn't the torque restricted in every gear below a certain rpm? Only on the sdrive though, xdrive has full torque from much lower down i believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Dunno about torque but the 335d sure is getting a quick motor as the miles pile on.

Today we were going to London down the motorway and following a E60 M5 in busy traffic in the outside lane. I just wanted a break in the traffic and hope he would floor it, just so I could compare our cars. Well we had our chance and I wont divulge the speed we got to but let just say it increased by 30mph to what we were doing before. . Result? I stayed with him ALL the way. But maybe he didnt have full M mode on and perhaps running at 400bhp, I dunno. Nonetheless, he wasnt going anywhere on this occasion.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Ross_T_Boss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Dunno about torque but the 335d sure is getting a quick motor as the miles pile on.

Today we were going to London down the motorway and following a E60 M5 in busy traffic in the outside lane. I just wanted a break in the traffic and hope he would floor it, just so I could compare our cars. Well we had our chance and I wont divulge the speed we got to but let just say it increased by 30mph to what we were doing before. . Result? I stayed with him ALL the way. But maybe he didnt have full M mode on and perhaps running at 400bhp, I dunno. Nonetheless, he wasnt going anywhere on this occasion.
Hooligan

I had to take my little 'un into A&E this evening, all I can say is the car is phenomenal making progress in the 70-120 region. km/h of course. I think The traffic just got out of my way too, perhaps blue lights come as standard on these and I wasn't aware?

But on topic... I did a few standing starts on very wet roads today, once put into Sport drivetrain - Manual mode and flappy paddling it felt like it was delivering full power in 1st and the sport dials confirmed it. Maxed out at 320/640. No TC which surprised me, it's phenomenal putting out sub 5s 0-60s in torrential rain!

So, it seems to be a comfort thing only, I suspect it's about smooth power delivery and no gut-wrenching launches allowed. What does it do in Eco-Pro mode... couldn't be bothered with that test
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_T_Boss View Post
Hooligan

I had to take my little 'un into A&E this evening, all I can say is the car is phenomenal making progress in the 70-120 region. km/h of course. I think The traffic just got out of my way too, perhaps blue lights come as standard on these and I wasn't aware?

But on topic... I did a few standing starts on very wet roads today, once put into Sport drivetrain - Manual mode and flappy paddling it felt like it was delivering full power in 1st and the sport dials confirmed it. Maxed out at 320/640. No TC which surprised me, it's phenomenal putting out sub 5s 0-60s in torrential rain!

So, it seems to be a comfort thing only, I suspect it's about smooth power delivery and no gut-wrenching launches allowed. What does it do in Eco-Pro mode... couldn't be bothered with that test
Have you tried it around the lanes in Sport+? Can get a bit mad!!
The thing I notice after driving lively in Sport+ for a while, then switching back to Comfort or Sport - it feels quite slow!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:23 AM   #7
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Have you tried it around the lanes in Sport+? Can get a bit mad!!
The thing I notice after driving lively in Sport+ for a while, then switching back to Comfort or Sport - it feels quite slow!

Did that yesterday on trip up to Manchester and back, 4 blokes in the car, sports + and manual and some B roads

Then on to M6 and self harm mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

I love the Jeckyll and Hyde character of the car. I think it's a good thing feeling slow going back into Comfort - kind of like having two cars in one. Also stops me driving too quickly when I shouldn't be.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0