F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Downsizing to 2 cars versus 1
Studio RSR

08-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
Lafinkel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i M Sport

Downsizing to 2 cars versus 1

Can one car be better than 2?

I have a 2004 ZHP low mileage MT convertible in mint condition as my weekend car and 2013 328x drive 8 speed auto base line sedan as daily driver. I am considering downsizing to one car by selling the ZHP and 328 and getting the 2015 435 GC M Sport, 8 speed AT. I only have room for one car in my garage so I keep the ZHP there. I hate that I have to keep my daily driver on the street in the hot summer sun and cold and snow of winter.

My thought process is the 435 M sport GC will be ideal for a single car due to the larger engine, uniqueness of a sedan built on a coupe platform, and M sport package. And that I can keep the one car garaged 100%. And reduced costs of owning a single car.

I know many of you have two cars - daily and weekend cars -which provides more variety vs. trying to get one car that can be all things. I'd like to get your opinion on the trade offs of going to one car. I'm worried that I'll miss having a manual trans car, a convertible, and the relatively rare ZHP, and the classic e46 car. But I am hopeful that the new GC is also a special car, unlike a typical 4 door car 3 series.

Thanks in advance for your perspective.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I can see why you're having a hard time deciding (I would too); I previously owned a ZSP 06 325ci which I loved to death (9 years of ownership). I just upgraded to my 435i 8AT, and while I love the car for the daily commute, when I go to the back roads its not as fun as my E46 unfortunately....

I'm going to say keep both your cars the E46 ZHP was a special breed and the F30 is just a new BMW. I don't find anything too special about the F3X chassis, and I'll be buying a new BMW down the road without a doubt. If I were you though I would keep the F30 and go out and buy a Z4 M (I'd prefer a coupe) because those will maintain their value compared to your E46 IMO.
Appreciate 0