F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Instrument Cluster Lights, Lane Departure?
ARMA SPEED

08-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Instrument Cluster Lights, Lane Departure?

Just noticed that my instrument cluster has the image cutout of a car and what looks to be like lanes... Is this for the lane departure? Do all cars come like this even if not equipped with lane departure or do I have a feature that I dont know about?
      08-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

I have it to but my car does not have lane departure.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
Just noticed that my instrument cluster has the image cutout of a car and what looks to be like lanes... Is this for the lane departure? Do all cars come like this even if not equipped with lane departure or do I have a feature that I dont know about?
The little car is for Active Cruise Control and Active Driving Assistant. It turns orange for Active Cruise Control and turns red for when you are about to hit a car with the Active Driving assistant.

The lines and square looking things in the middle of them are for Active Cruise Control to show when its active and show the distance set.

The dotted lines and triangles on the side of them are for Lane Departure. The dotted lines illuminate orange when it's active and the triangles independently illuminate when a lane is detected.

Hope this helps!
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
Rautha
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328ixDrive touring

Dash cluster is the same irregardless of if these features are equipped.

My E91 was the same way. When the lighting is right you can see the shadows for these features in the dash.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
The little car is for Active Cruise Control and Active Driving Assistant. It turns orange for Active Cruise Control and turns red for when you are about to hit a car with the Active Driving assistant.

The lines and square looking things in the middle of them are for Active Cruise Control to show when its active and show the distance set.

The dotted lines and triangles on the side of them are for Lane Departure. The dotted lines illuminate orange when it's active and the triangles independently illuminate when a lane is detected.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the explanation!
      03-20-2016, 03:31 AM   #6
Mudnut
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 s25d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post

Hope this helps!
Through lots of thinking I figured this out, but there is no clear explanation in the manual. One thing extra. If you have active cruise control with stop go function: The display is as quoted above. If there are red lines inside of the orange lines with the lane departure triangles on them, but no car, it means that cruise control is on, but not active. ( i.e. break pedal pushed and de activated).

Cheers,
Ken
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
Intelligent Cruise Control.

EDIT: Dammit I responded to an old thread.
Appreciate 0