Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-31-2014, 06:34 AM   #1
rosenbergendo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT3RS, F80 M3,997

Base Carrera vs new M3

http://jalopnik.com/is-the-bmw-m4-fa...rac-1613383361
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Ugh I hate the comments section of that article. Buncha internet keyboard warriors spouting misinformation. There's one guy saying that the Carreras is as practical as the m4.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowMakesMeHard View Post
Ugh I hate the comments section of that article. Buncha internet keyboard warriors spouting misinformation. There's one guy saying that the Carreras is as practical as the m4.
I've been driving mine everyday for a few weeks now after selling the S4. The only issue I could see is having to load some plywood.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowMakesMeHard View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of ignorant comments/haters but it may also be a reflection of the public's perception whether it's true or not. Outside of this forum the feeling I get is that BMW as of late is the favorite punching bag amongst the general population of car enthusiasts and journalists. Now, should we care? No. But I think you're kidding yourself if you think that outside of this sphere that people are in love with BMW and M division lately as we are. As BMW caters to more non enthusiasts, the enthusiasts become more displeased.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

I put this in another thread here, but the base 911 PDK is 500 pounds lighter than the M4 DCT curb weight. It's wheelbase is 14" shorter. It's lower, narrower, etc. - and it carries more rear rubber in a lighter, lower torque car.

From a performance standpoint, it's setup right.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
MarkY
Private
Rep
Drives: 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of ignorant comments/haters but it may also be a reflection of the public's perception whether it's true or not. Outside of this forum the feeling I get is that BMW as of late is the favorite punching bag amongst the general population of car enthusiasts and journalists. Now, should we care? No. But I think you're kidding yourself if you think that outside of this sphere that people are in love with BMW and M division lately as we are. As BMW caters to more non enthusiasts, the enthusiasts become more displeased.
I think this comment is spot-on. As much as I love BMW, I became disenchanted over the past couple of generations and kept holding out that they would return to their roots. Now that I actually need to replace my car, I started to think Porsche might be my answer but decided to give the new M3/M4 a look. While I still desire a 911, the M3/M4 is the way better value (if you consider a $70k+ car a value) and doesn't give up too much to a base 911 (in most typical driving situations). But I only know this because I looked hard at BMW again. All of the automotive reviews on BMW going "soft" hasn't helped their cause among enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Agreed. Saving grace, the new M2, hope they don't blow it.
      07-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Agreed. Saving grace, the new M2, hope they don't blow it.
This^
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

the x vs. y comparo's, fanboy flame wars etc are never going to go away and for some, who choose to participate in them, makes the hobby more fun and interesting. they race the brands vs each other in the Tudor series and it's great to align yourself with your fav mfg and then talk trash when they win... competition also leads to continuous one-upping improvements with us being the winners as the vettes, 911's and M's getting better and better each generation.

I welcome the comparo's and the fanboys/haters and the different flavors of go-fast that the auto mfg's are putting out there.
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

What would bigger rear tires do for the M4?

Cheers.
      07-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

Regardless of which car wins, I thought the video was awesome. They way the described differences between cars turn by turn with two videos side by side was amazing. Great job EVO.
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
What would bigger rear tires do for the M4?

Cheers.
More heat capacity. Possibly more lateral grip.

What's interesting to me is that they DID NOT OFFER A WIDER TIRE UPSIZE OPTION....

this indicates to me that the suspension is setup for this width tire (275) and that you may actually get inferior performance if you go up to 285/295/305 size rear tires.

That being said, there's plenty of room to improve track performance with simply the right compound.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
Regardless of which car wins, I thought the video was awesome. They way the described differences between cars turn by turn with two videos side by side was amazing. Great job EVO.
+1 and he did have a lot of great things to say about the bmw engine and transmission. sounds like a matter of better/wider tires out back (like pcar has) and its a dead heat..
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
meh

it was exactly the same when the e9x m3 was released.

OMG ITS SO FAT AND HORRIBLE LOOKING AND SWOOPY. it has IDRIVE. etc....

same thing will happen when the f8x is replaced by the next gen. same old story 7 years later, then the cycle repeats

nothing to get excited about.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
meh

it was exactly the same when the e9x m3 was released.

OMG ITS SO FAT AND HORRIBLE LOOKING AND SWOOPY. it has IDRIVE. etc....

same thing will happen when the f8x is replaced by the next gen. same old story 7 years later, then the cycle repeats

nothing to get excited about.
This about sums it up
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
True and not true, at the same time. The latest reviews for most newer BMWs have been pretty positive, tbh. It's just that your typical 17 year old "enthusiast" (who's very active on the internet) LOVEs to hate BMW, and that's majority of the demographic that surfs jalopnik. I used to surf jalopnik a lot but then I realized that it's just a big circle jerk full of 17 year old hipsters. Very little actual discussion, mostly just unfunny rhetoric.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #17
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f80 m3 on radar

Not to rag on the f8x but I've never seen any generation m3 lose as many comparison tests as this new model. Plus only a handful praise the new car while most complain and express somewhat disappointing reviews. I personally will reserve judgement till I actually have a real test drive with the car but you can not deny that this new m3 hasn't faired well in comparisons compared to previous models.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #18
J50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3OW View Post
Not to rag on the f8x but I've never seen any generation m3 lose as many comparison tests as this new model. Plus only a handful praise the new car while most complain and express somewhat disappointing reviews. I personally will reserve judgement till I actually have a real test drive with the car but you can not deny that this new m3 hasn't faired well in comparisons compared to previous models.
From what I've seen, most reviews have been positive and a few not the most complimentary.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #19
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Like it or not, those comments can be seen as more reflective of a less biased enthusiast-based public at large (but probably not the general public at large, as you aptly put it). BMW M did change the definition of many aspects of what it takes to be an M car (forced induction, SUVs, heavier in case of M5/M6); between this and pouring salt on the wounds of tradition with the M4 nomenclature, enthusiasts get agitated when there is significant change from a previously successful formula. From BMW's perspective, as with any consumer products company, perception = reality and to overcome negative perceptions, they really need focus on WOW-ing people. Enthusiasts, while making up a very small % of the car buying public, get asked all the time about brands/cars by non-enthusiasts. There is a multiplicative effect of sorts, so in a way satisfying the enthusiast community can be seen as a way of building brand equity. Porsche, as an example, has perfected this by honing the 911 to near perfection and that does help sell its other vehicles.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #20
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Like it or not, those comments can be seen as more reflective of a less biased enthusiast-based public at large (but probably not the general public at large, as you aptly put it). BMW M did change the definition of many aspects of what it takes to be an M car (forced induction, SUVs, heavier in case of M5/M6); between this and pouring salt on the wounds of tradition with the M4 nomenclature, enthusiasts get agitated when there is significant change from a previously successful formula. From BMW's perspective, as with any consumer products company, perception = reality and to overcome negative perceptions, they really need focus on WOW-ing people. Enthusiasts, while making up a very small % of the car buying public, get asked all the time about brands/cars by non-enthusiasts. There is a multiplicative effect of sorts, so in a way satisfying the enthusiast community can be seen as a way of building brand equity. Porsche, as an example, has perfected this by honing the 911 to near perfection and that does help sell its other vehicles.
You could change like 10 words in this and it would be the exact same bs people spouted about the e9x when it came out.

Oh and btw, the e46 and then e9x were the first models to make a big weight gain over it's predecessor, not the f10 m5.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #21
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f80 m3 on radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by J50 View Post
From what I've seen, most reviews have been positive and a few not the most complimentary.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Yeah looks like you are. Comparisons against the v6 jaguar, Mercedes c63, base 911 are a few examples of the f8x's disappointing reviews. I remember clearly the e92 beating the base 911 and c63 in comparison tests. In fact I don't remember the e92 losing a single comparison test. Maybe one test? At the end of its production?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:46 PM   #22
sharkfighter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I put this in another thread here, but the base 911 PDK is 500 pounds lighter than the M4 DCT curb weight. It's wheelbase is 14" shorter. It's lower, narrower, etc. - and it carries more rear rubber in a lighter, lower torque car.

From a performance standpoint, it's setup right.
In this Evo article PDK to DTC 911 was 137kg or 302lbs lighter. Still a lot of weight, has it been weighed 500lbs lighter else where PDK to DCT?
Appreciate 0